weight loss

Options
Hi, just joined this evenng. I am so close to goal, that I feel pretty good about myself at the moment. It's been a struggle as I have a very bad back and somedays I just can't make myself exercise, walk, garden or hardly drive the car. I lost thru portion control. After getting back on track, it got a little easier. I am going to call a pain clinic Monday and see if I can get relief thru them. I had to quit senior aerobics and senior bowling over a year ago and I'd love to get back to both. Now with Winter facing me, I will really need some activity. I can do floor exercise without pain. Isn't that odd? so yes I do try to keep up with those. Best wishes to all who are wanting and willing to do the work to lose weight.

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Does yoga help? My sister is working with a broken back (stress fracture of her lower spine) and yoga really helps alleviate that pain.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Pilates may also be helpful since most of the exercises are done on the floor and they are directed to make your core stronger. It may even help your back.

I also know that some places teach sitting down exercises to increase your upper body strenght. Can you try the YMCA or a senior center?

I wish you good luck, and I also congratulate you in reaching your goal with portion control. It shows how determined you are.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i'm another back injury--cervical, thoracic and lumbar and 2 rotator cuffs. so i am limited as well. i am able to walk and also do pool workouts at a gym in the deep end wearing a flotation belt. then i sit in their jacuzzi, do the pool again and hit the sauna. we're all different in terms of what we can tolerate. i also do a series of stretches when i wake up and before going to bed that physical therapists and masseuses have shown me over the years that i can adjust for bad or good days. i wish you all the best on your fitness quest--it's nice to share with others who know what it's like.
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    4 years later, a lot has happened. Pain clinic introduced me to cortisone shots. yes they helped knock out the pain for a few months. and then.....................my kidney function went to h. not worth it. still doing what I can do. working thru the pain has kept me mobile. Thinking I will see another doctor about my back. not wanting surgery, but I know therapy is the best.