Anyone had a food intolerance test?

Options
I didn't think I would ever need one of these, I'd never been allergic or intolerant to anything in my life. However, over the last year, I have developed IBS, which has been recently diagnosed after it became much worse, and although I suspect some certain foods may be my triggers, I'm still pretty much clueless and getting nowhere fast. I'm also struggling to lose any weight despite eating very carefully and exercising regularly.
Anyway, I've seen a good deal for a food intolerance test, which says it checks for intolerance to 100 different foods and can be handy for IBS sufferers, and I just wondered if anyone had had one, or could recommend it, or otherwise? Just interested in any success stories I guess!

Replies

• cottonbudcreature
    Options
    Hi, I had a test a few years ago. It was not very useful because I seemed to be intolerant to nearly everything! So unless I didn't eat then I would be ok...but then be malnourished! My friend went to a nutritionalist which was much more helpful. If I did anything I would investigate this further.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I was told I probably had IBS in Sept.
    I got a private food intolerance test. It came back with a severe intolerance to cow's milk, a strong one to wheat and a slight one to soya.
    I cut down on wheat and saw no different.
    I cut down on milk and saw no different. BUT sometimes I notice an increase in pain after I eat dairy.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Try seeing an actual allergist. They do food intolerance tests as well, that are extremely accurate.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I had a food intolerance test done. It was the best money I've ever spent. Came up with 15 different foods that I am sensitive too, three of which were nearly off the scale.

I've cut out every single one of those foods from my diet and it's like night and day. Mind you, I had many, many more symptoms than IBS, and I haven't been diagnosed with IBS. When I do eat something that was on the list, specifically soy, dairy, or gluten, I feel the symptoms come right back. It's not the easiest thing to do, and it's very expensive to keep all the foods cut from my diet, but it's worth it.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    I suffered from IBS for quite a few years.......I was tested for celiac, Krohn's and Colitis.....I even had a colonoscopy.....omg.....drinking the stuff before that test was the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life.....but all those tests came back negative.....so in the absence of any of that.....guess what??....."you have IBS!".....and I had to go through all of that just to tell me what I already knew......I found that spicy foods, rich creamy sauces, lettuce, caffeine were the worst things for me.....I gave up Caesar salads.....sob!!.....

I never actually got a food intolerance test done....it got so bad though that I was prescribed Lomotil.....running to the bathroom while carrying my baby daughter....not good!!!

since losing 50lb....my IBS has almost completely disappeared.....I can't remember that last time I had a bout of it.....I no longer take any medication....I eat salads again, spicy foods, although I still stay away from the cream sauces, just because of the calories.....

good luck with any tests you get done.....I can't say for sure, but it should get better with healthier eating....:)
  • I had one done as well...in the hopes of curing my migraines. Didn't work for migraines, but omitting the foods on the list helped with how bloated I used to feel.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, some really interesting and useful responses there.
    I've seen an offer for £35 (about $50-ish) from a reputable clinic, so even if it doesn't help that much it's not a great outlay to lose.
    Think I might go for it, and hopefully it may help me in the long run.