Protein powder query

Options
Hello ,
Im a vegetarian ( no fish , no meat , no eggs ) looking to lose about 30 lbs . I severely fall short in my protein intake daily .less than half the required level . Is it advisable for me to have protein powder ? If so is optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard a good one ? Anyone using it ?
Also are there any health risks with protein powder ?

Ps-- a 1lb tub of powder lasts how long approximately on an average ?

Thank you !

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.

According to the label, a 1 pound tub has 15 servings...so it all depends how often you use it. Could be 2 weeks, could be a month or more....

Lots of people here recommend 1g protein per pound of lean body mass each day. Others say 1g per pound of body weight. If you're not getting your protein through "real" food, protein powder is a good way to supplement that.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you eat dairy then whey powder is the cheapest and most readily available source of protein. A serving is usually 25g so a 1lb container will give around 18 servings.

If you don't eat dairy there are plenty of vegan protein powders such as pea, hemp, rice, etc. they are generally a bit more expensive and don't have as high protein content.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I guess how long a can of protein powder should last however how many servings you use a day. Have you tried to get your protein from healthy nuts? Are you vegetarian for a certain reason? Just curious. Also of course you can do legumes for protein. :bigsmile:
  • goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Im a vegetarian by birth :) so i am not supposed to eat meat fish in my religion .. Can nuts be used to substitute my entire protein need ? If so what nuts ? I presently get a maximum of 30g every day ..as for legumes , they seem to add to my carbs too ..
  • goalie234
    Options
    I guess how long a can of protein powder should last however how many servings you use a day. Have you tried to get your protein from healthy nuts? Are you vegetarian for a certain reason? Just curious. Also of course you can do legumes for protein. :bigsmile:
    Im a vegetarian by birth :) so i am not supposed to eat meat fish in my religion .. Can nuts be used to substitute my entire protein need ? If so what nuts ? I presently get a maximum of 30g every day ..as for legumes , they seem to add to my carbs too ..
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you eat dairy, there are great sources of protein that are low in calories. Greek yogurt (choose low fat), skyr (Icelandic yogurt, naturally almost fat free and very high in protein), and quark (a German dairy product, which can be bought low fat, also packed with protein). If none of this is available for you, you can go for whey protein powder, which is, as said, the cheapest option.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have found that my body, unfortunately, wants all of the protein. I do eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, nut butters, whole milk, protein powder and legumes. I'm not a fan of soy products because they're processed to death, but I'll eat them occasionally. I think my diary is open, so feel free to look through it if you want any ideas.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I mix my own blend of protein at http://truenutrition.com/

I've found that it is the cheapest source of protein that I've found and it has lots of choices. Mine are limited as a vegan, but it sure beats paying the cost of Vega even with my discount from working at a natural grocers. It doesn't matter what or where you buy it, though.... provided you can stand the taste.

I personally prefer pea protein since it's fairly high by volume. I follow second with soy isolate and hemp third. I've had good experience with Vega, MRM, Garden of life, and Biochem brands as the taste of all of the above was tolerable to me.

But that was lots of trial and error. I just tried brands until I found one i like that fit my budget.
  • maggymae78
    maggymae78 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have found that I really like the Body Logix 100% Whey All Natural powder, as well as the About Time 100% Natural Whey Isolate powder. The Body Logix mixes well and both of them use stevia as a sweetener, so they are 100 cal a scoop. They taste fine mixed with water, but I prefer them with skim milk.
  • goalie234
    Options
    If you eat dairy, there are great sources of protein that are low in calories. Greek yogurt (choose low fat), skyr (Icelandic yogurt, naturally almost fat free and very high in protein), and quark (a German dairy product, which can be bought low fat, also packed with protein). If none of this is available for you, you can go for whey protein powder, which is, as said, the cheapest option.

None of this is available here where i stay .. So i might have to resort to protein powder ..
  • goalie234
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have found that my body, unfortunately, wants all of the protein. I do eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, nut butters, whole milk, protein powder and legumes. I'm not a fan of soy products because they're processed to death, but I'll eat them occasionally. I think my diary is open, so feel free to look through it if you want any ideas.
    Thank you for the inputs .. Presently im doing yoghurt cottage cheese but all this doesnt do it . So maybe protein powder is my best option ..
  • LibrarianKristin
    Options
    quinoa might be a good grain to try
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    do Gold Standard Casein
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What is a "Vegetarian"? Sounds foreign.

Any whey protein isolate will do the trick. Don't fall for these more expensive gimmicky things.
  • sigmoo
    Options
    Spirutein is good, some are even low sugar. I use that one as it is gluten and dairy free and comes in lots of flavours, even though it isnt that cheap. Good luck
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend CSN Whey...you can google it...best tasting one I've ever had. (Been using pp for 5 years)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hello ,
    Im a vegetarian ( no fish , no meat , no eggs ) looking to lose about 30 lbs . I severely fall short in my protein intake daily .less than half the required level . Is it advisable for me to have protein powder ? If so is optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard a good one ? Anyone using it ?
    Also are there any health risks with protein powder ?

Ps-- a 1lb tub of powder lasts how long approximately on an average ?

Thank you !

Do you do dairy? If so, Greek yogurt is an amazing protein source. A good brand has 22-25 grams per serving.

Health risks with protein powder? I don't know. Some have aspartame, which I'm not a fan of, flavor-wise, but you CAN get vegan and all-natural protein powders, which MAY be better for you. Most people do whey protein powder, but they also have hemp protein powder. There are definitely options available to you, though.

Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It might be time to revisit why you are a vegetarian, if it’s not good for your body and caused you to have to lose 30 lbs.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It might be time to revisit why you are a vegetarian, if it’s not good for your body and caused you to have to lose 30 lbs.

I don't believe that's any of your concern? Her lifestyle. Her choice.
  • goalie234
    Options

I don't believe that's any of your concern? Her lifestyle. Her choice.

Thank you ! U said it just like i wanted to !