WOMEN- Diet & Exercise during PMS

2»

Replies

• I hear you! I just bought some low-cal ice cream sandwiches to deal with my cravings, I can still force myself to go to the gym because it does make me feel better (also I avoid that guilt of "you didn't go to the gym when you were supposed to").

But let's be honest, some days are just bad days and your body demands a rest. And that's okay. I took a day off the gym last week and I do not feel bad about it. I also went over my calories on that day. You know what? It happens. I'm back on track now and that's what's important.

I take it on a case by case basis, unless I'm just feeling grouchy/crabby/negative mentally - in that case I KNOW exercising will make it better, or at least allow me indulge a bit food-wise and I won't feel too bad about it because I exercised.

For me, having a snack on hand that is lower calorie but still tastes good is important, and will keep me from going out and getting something way more sugary and caloric.
  • Forcing yourself to stick to your work outs and proper diet will help big time.

I found that having worked out and eaten better the weeks prior to my period it became much less of a problem for me. I still had the chocolate cravings, but not nearly as bad as before. My cramps also did not debilitate me. I even went the whole time without bursting in to tears! :D FIrst time since I was 11!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    While it can be really hard to force yourself to do it (I know, I have the same issue every month) exercise will actually make you feel better when you're PMSing. Try to make yourself get some exercise in and see if it helps.

I also agree with this. Sometimes it's the absolute last thing I feel like doing when I am feeling bloated and crampy.... but if I push myself to do something I am pretty much guaranteed to feel better after.

And also the calorie burn means I can give in to my chocolate cravings without going over my daily goal.

Even just getting out for a brisk 30-40 minute walk can help. Hope you are feeling better soon x
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 123 Member
    I stick with it, keep the routine. I refuse to allow an excuse like my period to stop me. I continue still pay close attention to my food intake, I continue to exercise, and I increase me water intake by an extra glass. Menstruation is an excuse and nothing more. My biggest losses come two days after my period ends and I re-regulate. I refuse to let it be an excuse.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Thanks for posting... I too would like advice.
    Exercise does make you feel better, but I do it lightly. This week in fact I felt like a giant, heavy elephant on the treadmill... but I did it!
    I'll have to watch what I eat before and during my period more.... some of the suggestions on here are great!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    While it can be really hard to force yourself to do it (I know, I have the same issue every month) exercise will actually make you feel better when you're PMSing. Try to make yourself get some exercise in and see if it helps.

YEP! My softball coach in high school was a female and as much of a pain in my *kitten* as she was ... she told me once, "I don't want to hear you can't condition because you are on your period. Exercise makes your cramps go away, now get to work!" And she was right. It would suck at first, but after I got going the cramps lessened.

As far as wanting to eat comfort foods go during your period...there are plenty healthier alternatives when you have cravings. Pick out a few foods that you like to eat when you are on your period and google healthier alternative recipes or foods.

It's lovely being a girl ;)
  • amoyers01
    amoyers01 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in the same boat... I'm always so tired during PMS. :(
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Bump