Dedicated running shoes?

Options
So a few days ago I bought a pair of good running shoes from a store that caters to runners in particular. (How cool it was to go in there and not feel out of place!) These shoes are really comfortable and keep my feet from pronating when I walk and run. They are so comfy I want to wear them all the time, but should I? Or should I keep a pair of good shoes for running only? Will I wear out the stability control aspects of them if I just wear them as everyday shoes?

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Any shoe is good for only so many miles, so sure, the more you wear it the faster it will wear out . . . but so what? Your comfort may well be worth the few months early you end up having to replace them.
    If Im doing a lot around the house, or know I'll have a busy day on my feet I always lace up my good running shoes because they are just the best stability and comfort for me too.
    Now Im a bit of a shoe hog, so I have to admit I have a number of pairs for different activities, or if I plan to wear them outdoors, etc . . . so guess Im not the greatest opinion on if you can have too many!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Get two of the same pair: one specifically for running, and the other pair for everyday walking. I have 3 pairs of the same shoes: one for sports where the field can get wet/muddy, one for running on the sidewalks/tracks, and one for everyday walking or as my backup running shoes. Outside of my work uniform I wear trail flip flops most of the time so I alternate with my primary running and my walking to slowly break each pair in. Hope this helps!
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hm...that makes a lot of sense, thanks lilchino4af and lutzsher. I may just have to invest in another pair!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your running shoes will last longer if you use them only for running. In the past they used to last even longer if you bought 2 pair and rotated them, but not sure if that is true anymore.

In any case, one of the reasons they feel comfortable is because they are NEW. If you like that feeling, you can probably get a similar sensation from a new pair of casual shoes, and not have to invest in another pair of higher-priced running shoes.

Even though a running shoe may be "worn out" for running use, it is usually still perfectly suitable for comfortable casual wear. I am sure many runners are the same, but when I retire my running shoes from actual running use, they live on for quite a while as walking shoes, use on the stairmaster, cross trainer, etc. I have several generations of running shoes hanging around the house.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    no no! don't wear them all the time. :laugh: You ideally should have a running only pair and a workout pair. I transfer my running shoes to workout shoes when I get a new set of running shoes. If you wear them all the time you will wear them down quickly. Of course if you don't mind replacing them more often then go for it. Isn't it great going into a running store? I love the personal one on one attention :D
  • themyriadthings
    Options
    So it sure sounds like I should have a dedicated pair just for running! I do have an old pair that I could wear for other stuff. I think I will do that since I don't want to lay out more money for another new pair right now. Thanks everyone - your feedback is much appreciated! And yes, I do love the personalized attention at the running store!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also keep my running shoes just for running! I'm thinking of getting some of those EasyTone shoes for at work, since I'm on my feet a lot anyway...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I also have a second pair of shoes for cross training, weight training, etc. Running shoes suck at these activities because they have no lateral support.

And, yes, that means changing my shoes in the middle of a workout, if necessary.

I believe in choosing the right tool for the job!
  • tater8589
    Options
    Another way to make your shoes last longer, If the shoe is still in good shape, but they just aren't as comfy... replace the insole. I have 2 pair of running shoes and I still have 3 pair I've retired that I use for everyday/muddy stuff.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are for RUNNING. On occasion if I'm going straight from home to the gym and don't want to deal with the locker room, I'll wear them there, but that's it. I have other shoes for everyday stuff.
  • themyriadthings
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping me with this - it sounds like the verdict is in, that's for sure! I will keep my runners for running only :) I will keep my eye out for good insoles that might bring life back to my old pair of runners and I might need to invest in a new set of orthotics for my regular schlepping around shoes.

The support here is terrific - thanks again!