Diet pills and diet to rev up metabolism

Options
Hello all,

I'm getting my 2 year business admin degree in a little less then 4 months. I need to loose a drastic amount of weight for the pictures and just to feel good about myself (Mainly to feel good about me). I was wondering if anyone has tried a weight loss pill that works great, fat burner or anything that could help me... I want REAL results and not to waste time and money. Also, any foods that you have found to help rev up your metabolism? Tips please... I know the issues with loosing weight fast and yada yada yada... I just need advice on how to do it quickly, not the lectures please.

Thanks,
Heather

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Actually, it would be against MFP rules to give you such advice.

But hey, if you think making yourself sick will make you feel better, have fun.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You have some important things to learn about weight loss and nutrition. First of all, there is no such thing as "revving up your metabolism." Eventually, more muscle and less fat will increase your metabolism some, but that is a long process. Second, there are no magic pills that will do anything for you except make your bank account skinnier. Just eat the calories MFP gives you and exercise moderately. Not least importantly, the more quickly you lose weight, the faster you will gain it all back. But when it comes back, your body fat will be a greater percentage and your bones will be less dense.

I think it's better not to have an ultimate date for reaching some poundage goal. Better to put a reasonable plan together and concentrate on each day. Don't make losing weight some kind of emergency.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How does one rev a metabolism? Is that revving a car?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    NO

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat

This.

You shouldve started months ago ifyou have 'so much' to lose thatd you waste money of scams and risk your health
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Build a time travel machine, go back 6 months, eat at a deficit and exercise 30 minutes most days.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

My opinion is that diet pills and "metabolism revving diets" are a waste of time and money.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Look into coconut oil and MCT oil. They have great potential to help people burn fat.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article from the Mayo Clinic on metabolism.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/metabolism/ART-20046508

Summary: You really can't speed up your metabolism, but moving more is the thing you have the most control over to help you burn calories.

Edited to fix the summary - I had written it a bit oddly.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    "I know it's bad, and you know it's bad, but I'm asking you to ignore what we both know to be true, look past any moral issues you might have with telling me how to do something that could potentially hurt me, and then tell me how to potentially hurt me."
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Look into coconut oil and MCT oil. They have great potential to help people burn fat.

Studies?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Actually, it would be against MFP rules to give you such advice.

But hey, if you think making yourself sick will make you feel better, have fun.
  • RelevantKnowledge
    RelevantKnowledge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "I know it's bad, and you know it's bad, but I'm asking you to ignore what we both know to be true, look past any moral issues you might have with telling me how to do something that could potentially hurt me, and then tell me how to potentially hurt me."
    :laugh:
  • MarissaOne
    MarissaOne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on a five year weight loss journey and can tell you from my experience you are not ready to lose weight. You have to get your mind right first. Wrap your head around the fact that there is no quick fix and you are going to struggle before you succeed. Weight loss is as much mental as physical. It takes time and self control to change behaviors not some pill.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Triple espresso and a balls to the walls workout, works for me.:bigsmile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Your response in the thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963209-the-parent-in-me-is-mad should serve as a reason that you should not try and do irresponsible things to lose weight. Your 8 year old daughter is watching everything you do. If you think that the outside world is what is influencing her body image the most - you'd be wrong. We as mothers affect our daughters more than we want to believe.

You can do this is a healthy way. You just have to want to do it for the right reasons. To be healthy and to be the kind of example I know you want to be for your beautiful daughter.

Make the fact that you are earning a degree be the focus - not the fact that there will be pictures. Best of luck.
  • messingjoe
    Options
    Here's how you rev up your metabolism. Put some sweat on the floor and eat less. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Studies?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12975635
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/11/2853.long
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0958694606001609
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18296368

Shamelessly, stolen links form Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-chain_triglyceride

Plenty of other studies if you search using your favorite article search engine.

Also plenty of anecdotal evidence on various keto/paleo forums and myself suggesting that MCT/Coconut oil aids in burning fat.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Look, you don't want to be told you "can't" lose weight quickly. And there's no reason you can't. But it's going to take hard work and dedication, not a magic pill!

For one, the only ingredient in diet pills that anyone can vouch for is caffeine. I don't know what your caffeine intake is usually like, but I think you could see weight loss benefits from it. Have 2-3 cups of coffee a day and drink tons of green tea. Even better if you have it with a little lemon and maybe some spice, or add spice to your coffee - cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, whatever. Spices on or in any of your food will boost your metabolism. Stop drinking caffeine if it makes you uncomfortable/dizzy/etc.

That being said, since you're drinking all this caffeine, you're going to want to also drink 10 cups of water each day.

Everything else about weight loss is the obvious! Eat fewer calories but more nutrient-dense food. Take a vitamin every day. Then sweat your butt off. Do it every day. Stretch so you don't hurt yourself. 4 months is enough time to see good results the healthy way. Trust us, and don't do anything desperate or dangerous!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my 2 year business admin degree in a little less then 4 months. I need to loose a drastic amount of weight for the pictures and just to feel good about myself (Mainly to feel good about me).

Bluntly - you're ****ed - it ain't gonna happen.

Just start a sensible plan, and what you lose, you lose.

Sorry. There's no way (or, frankly, reason) to sugarcoat this. You could eat literally nothing but caffeine pills for two months, and you still wouldn't get the outcome you want.