Salt in the afternoon

Options
Sounds like a cheesy soap opera, but no, it is my stumbling block.

I am almost at the halfway mark of my goal and and super motivated, but every day at 2:30 pm I crave salt like no one's business.

I work in an office and am sitting most of the day. And chewing gum and chugging water is not helping.

Can anyone think of any 'salty' snacks that are not going to ruin my day?

Thanks!

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you had just salt, would the craving go away, or is it the carrier (chips, pretzels, etc.) that you crave?

It could be that you're in the habit and just need to break it, so the craving is the way of your body making it's expectations known (basically saying "It's time for the chips!").

Maybe try having something like a hard boiled egg with salt on it when you crave NACL and see if that does it.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    agree with the above, but if you like your salty afternoon snack as long as you make room for it you dont have to nix it!

My I'm a sweets eater but my husband is a BIG time salty eater and he has a bad habit of sitting down with a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa and going to town. I buy the chips and portion them out in baggies with the calorie count written really big on them so that when he's grabbing the 200 calorie baggie of tostidos he is reminded that he needs to be sure it fits in his goals for the day. I do this with chocolate treats for myself :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    cravings1.jpg
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned above, I'm one that wants something that is both salty and crunchy. I make sure to have some popcorn, pretzels, or crackers with lunch. It gives me the satisfaction I need. Could I lower my overall sodium content if I cut them out (and be a little healthier)? Sure, but I wouldn't be happy so the snacks stay :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    id watch it
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Celery has sodium and is crunchy. I like to have the Skinny Pop 100 calorie bags, I think it is really tasty.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    cravings1.jpg

I love this chart and I wanted to be sure to find it later!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    cravings1.jpg

LOL I would cut a bish for giving me liver or apple cider vinegar when I want my coffee.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I sub goldfish for potato chips sometimes. Reasonable serving size....not a whole lot less calories, but significantly lower fat. Plus the started making 'potato chip' flavors like bbq and sour cream.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about an afternoon delight.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    cravings1.jpg

This I crap......cravings are crap. People eat this stuff because it tastes good. Not because they need more magnesium etc.