Women focused on strength: How much did you gain?

Options
How many of you have seen your weight climb and worried that you're too heavy even though you didn't feel fatter? How did you cope? What were your results?

My background...

Female
3 children (youngest is 7)
Height: 5'3"

Exercise:
I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (2x/week), yoga (x1) and Pilates (x1). All basically good for building muscle and flexibility and jiu jistu also fills the gap for cardiovascular fitness. I also spend a few minutes a couple of mornings per week to do jumping jacks, lunges or other types of quick cardio or strength to get my heart pumping. And a few times I week I go for a 15 minute, 1 mile walk.

Diet:
Mostly clean. Very few processed foods. I know that I am not over eating or under eating. Logged recently just to be sure.

Water:
6-8 8oz. servings

Rest:
7-9 hours per night.

Stress:
None

I know I am on the right track. But I find it bothersome that I weigh 152 pounds right now. (I'm trying my best not to let the scale frighten me.) I started at 135 before starting jiu jitsu a year ago. I was weak compared to now. It didn't take long to jump to 145 pounds. I am so much stronger and happier. Fat began to melt away when I incorporated occasional exercise burst in the morning, but my weight didn't drop. I don't think I should be worried. The calipers tell me that I'm still losing fat even though the tape measure is creeping up just slightly. I'm sure I'm gaining muscle as I am getting better at jiu jitsu and the guys are "fighting back" much harder against me.

I guess what I really want to know is for females who are in maintenance mode and are primarily focusing on muscle building, how heavy did you become before it was very obvious that your fat percentage was dropping? Did you gain a significant amount of weight that you started to worry a little too?

Oh... and after logging the past couple days, I realized I need to increase my protein.

Thanks for offering me your insight!

Replies

• mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It is always difficult when you watch the scale climb the "wrong way" after spending a lot of time working out!

However, strength training is one of the best ways to transform your body and get not only the look you want, but healthier bones and muscles. I am a huge proponent of strength training for a number of reasons. It's unfortunate that many women are afraid that lifting heavy weights and building muscle will make them bigger -- there are some rare exceptions, but for the most part, even lifting heavy weights will make a woman thinner and leaner. In fact, strength training is one of the few things that can build bone density.

I am focused primarily on building strength. I have gained about 4 lbs but my smallest clothes are looser on me than they were when I weighed less. I do weigh myself each day, but I don't stress about fluctuations since it's a marathon, not a sprint. After a strenuous workout, you'll tend to retain more water as your muscles try to repair themselves. And while you'll lose fat, you'll gain denser muscle... in the end, the number on the scale isn't really what you're worried about, it's looking and feeling your best. Keep up the strength training!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and started weight lifting about a year ago at a scrawny/flabby 139 lbs. I weighed myself a few weeks ago and I'm 159. I just realized a long time ago that the scale isn't the only thing you can focus on. My clothing size has remained the same and actually fit better because I've lost body fat and gained muscle. I eat gluten and dairy free since I have an intolerance to both. Lots of fresh and healthy foods. I just see the muscle definition and fat loss and let that motivate me.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That info helps a lot.
  • lemonshredding
    lemonshredding Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and started weight lifting about a year ago at a scrawny/flabby 139 lbs. I weighed myself a few weeks ago and I'm 159. I just realized a long time ago that the scale isn't the only thing you can focus on. My clothing size has remained the same and actually fit better because I've lost body fat and gained muscle. I eat gluten and dairy free since I have an intolerance to both. Lots of fresh and healthy foods. I just see the muscle definition and fat loss and let that motivate me.

Made me so happy and relaxed to read this! As an ex ballerina who is also 5"9 I was once a mere 113lbs. I have definitely increased my food intake and not all of it is clean but I have also gained some muscle due to ditching ballet and taking up little backyard weight lifting sessions.

It freaked me out that I am working harder than ever and GAINING but I know I am not overweight and that I am building muscle and bone density which will help me maintain a health lean body mass later in life, ratgher than being a waif who could barely keep up maintenance at 1400kcal!

Lifting for life!! xx
  • mellowcoton
    mellowcoton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting fairly consistently since September and have put on about 8 pounds. It's definitely alarming when I see it, but I make sure to keep measurements/gauge fat loss in other ways. I love lifting, it makes me feel better than anything else I've done!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!!

I am now a lot heavier on the scales, I like to be around 138lbs - But I must be at least 145-147lbs now, but my body has changed completely.

My arms are so much bigger as I have now built muscle in them, and my back has got broader/bigger. Also the muscle at the sides of each of my thighs are starting to come out from doing the spin bike/the gliding machine and the cross trainer.

So even though I am so much heavier on the scales my whole body has changed, and I know for a fact my waist has got really small. Even my friend commented at the gym the other night... The only thing I want to change is slimming down my thighs as I think they have got too muscley.

Get a tape measurer/take photos of yourself - Try not to worry about the scales too much - Or get your body fat % done and go by that!!! : )
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintainance while strength training, I have also strength trained at deficit. I am a bit too scared to try a surplus (silly, I know).

The fact is, you won't gain weight (be it fat or muscle) at maintainance. If you're adding weight, you're eating at surplus.

Nothing wrong with adding muscle weight while shedding fat though, glad it's going well for you - I hope I can find the courage to go for a bulk soon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    who cares what the scales say?? noone else can see that number... it doesnt mean anything...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My weight can vary 10lbs in a few days due to water retention. I have to go by how my clothes fit as well as overall trends to see if I am gaining too much fat. As females, we cannot gain much muscle over the course of a month, especially if not overweight and/or after 'newbie gains' have been used up. For me, a trend of more than about 2lb a month (outside water weight) is gaining too quickly as it will be mainly fat (nearer 1lb a month would be better imo, depending on goals).
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My weight stays within my 3lb maintenance window, in spite of doing strength training (using body weight), and a bit of cardio. If my weight goes over the high end of my maintenance range for more than a week, then I correct with a calorie deficit. My exercise routine has not affected my weight at all.

eta: my bf% was around 17% before I started the strength training. I can tell a slight difference in my pictures from before/after adding the strength training, but I don't think it's changed drastically-I just have more muscle definition than before :)
  • ShoeGal78
    ShoeGal78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to twixlepennie - my weight varies by about 2 or 3lbs and I weight train 3 times a week with heavy weights with a small amount of cardio - I adjust my calorie intake if I start to gain. My bf% is just under 17%. I'm not making any massive gains in terms of muscle mass but don't expect to..! My fluctuations in weight are usually caused by water weight and from the extra food weight after a weekend as I count my calories based on a weekly average.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How many of you have seen your weight climb and worried that you're too heavy even though you didn't feel fatter? How did you cope? What were your results?

My background...

Female
    3 children (youngest is 7)
    Height: 5'3"

Exercise:
    I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (2x/week), yoga (x1) and Pilates (x1). All basically good for building muscle and flexibility and jiu jistu also fills the gap for cardiovascular fitness. I also spend a few minutes a couple of mornings per week to do jumping jacks, lunges or other types of quick cardio or strength to get my heart pumping. And a few times I week I go for a 15 minute, 1 mile walk.

Diet:
    Mostly clean. Very few processed foods. I know that I am not over eating or under eating. Logged recently just to be sure.

Water:
    6-8 8oz. servings

Rest:
    7-9 hours per night.

Stress:
    None

I know I am on the right track. But I find it bothersome that I weigh 152 pounds right now. (I'm trying my best not to let the scale frighten me.) I started at 135 before starting jiu jitsu a year ago. I was weak compared to now. It didn't take long to jump to 145 pounds. I am so much stronger and happier. Fat began to melt away when I incorporated occasional exercise burst in the morning, but my weight didn't drop. I don't think I should be worried. The calipers tell me that I'm still losing fat even though the tape measure is creeping up just slightly. I'm sure I'm gaining muscle as I am getting better at jiu jitsu and the guys are "fighting back" much harder against me.

I guess what I really want to know is for females who are in maintenance mode and are primarily focusing on muscle building, how heavy did you become before it was very obvious that your fat percentage was dropping? Did you gain a significant amount of weight that you started to worry a little too?

Oh... and after logging the past couple days, I realized I need to increase my protein.

Thanks for offering me your insight!

I'm sorry but you did not gain 17 lb of muscle in a year
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting fairly consistently since September and have put on about 8 pounds. It's definitely alarming when I see it, but I make sure to keep measurements/gauge fat loss in other ways. I love lifting, it makes me feel better than anything else I've done!

8 lb muscle in 4 months???
  • FitForRiding
    Options
    People get too "stuck" on the scale. Even though I have some fat to lose (stomach area), since weight training for over a year now I have gone from 176 - 184/186. I am 55, 5'6". My trainer said about 155 lbs is probably where I'll end up. My lower and upper body are strengthening and toning nicely, but darn that mid-life middle! It's coming but taking some time....
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    According to the author of New Rules of Lifting for Women, women can gain up to around 2.5 pounds of muscle in a month. I find it very discouraging when people assume that women can't put on muscle.:frown:
  • aimeercole
    Options
    This post makes me feel so much better! Since the cold winter months I have started more weight training and less running. Although I actually FEEL like I am slimming down the scale climbed 5 pounds since November. I was so frustrated. I almost decided to stop the weight training all together and just go back to only running, which I know isn't the best possible fitness plan. Hearing what you said, I will stick it out and vary running with the weight training. Thanks for the post.
  • FitForRiding
    Options
    Wow! I would rather have a muscular-strong body than skinny...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    According to the author of New Rules of Lifting for Women, women can gain up to around 2.5 pounds of muscle in a month. I find it very discouraging when people assume that women can't put on muscle.:frown:

Yes, we know - although that's a high figure for most of us to hit - but there's no way to gain that muscle weight (or any) if you are eating at (your actual) maintainance.

Most people agree that a 0.5 lb is the norm for women (eating at SURPLUS).
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Well let's just say that everyone is different and the most important thing is to try to put on muscle. Discouraging posts about people you know nothing about is not helpful.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hi absolament

I just focus on my macros to ensure that I'm just doing body recompositioning. Gaining bodyfat doesn't happen when you control calories in, and gaining muscle mass only occurs with proper muscle exercise and refeed timing.

Looks like the exercises you focus on are muscle building, and you don't do any fat burning exercises. That makes body fat loss extremely difficult.