Ellipticals

Options
I'm considering getting an elliptical. I've had treadmills in the past but really did not like them. An elliptical seems like it would be quieter and provide both leg and upper body motion. I'm tall, 6'2", so I think a longer stride would be better. Any advice on choosing and using one?

Replies

• monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Have you used them before? I can't stand ellipticals because they don't seem to have a range of motion enough for me and it just feels awkward & uncomfortable. (I'm 6'3").

I just say make sure you have tried them out before hand..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't be stingy. The cheaper it is, the louder it will be and more likely to break.

I recommend going to a store and trying different ones to figure out which stride is best for you. The one I would have preferred to get hurt my knees when I tried it out.

I love having mine for when the weather is bad or just to mix up my workout. It's in my bedroom where I can watch TV so I don't get bored on it. It is a great workout!
  • KateJKrise
    Options
    I prefer Arc Trainers. It's similar to an elliptical, but more like running. My personal trainers in the past have said that they prefer Arc Trainers much more than ellipticals as well.
  • vamred
    vamred Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    try Octane fitness, i have seen many tall people enjoy those at the gym
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are fine it all depends on how it feels for you. Arc Trainer is a different type of an elliptical They are both fine. I would try out before your buy. When you buy any machine they have commercial, residential and light commercial.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm an elliptical gal ... that said, I haven't really tried different kinds. Hubby and I bought a Nautilus several years ago. It's been fine, but like I said I don't really have much experience on anything else. It has broken once (had to have a part replaced). I remember when we were looking, there was a more expensive one that had some additional settings (to change the stride length, incline) and I do wonder if we should have splurged (I'm on the elliptical every day for 60min+).

I would definitely try a few out. I do really prefer the elliptical to the treadmill for the most part (we have a treadmill as well and I do use it too). It's quieter, non-electric (could still use it if the power was out), it just feels "easier" (which is not necessarily a good thing) but what I love most, is that I don't have to wear shoes. I hate shoes. I wear slippers on my elliptical :)
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have an Eclipse 4100 and I like it for the most part. I don't use the handles for the arms because it is too awkward for me on this particular machine. I suggest that you try out as many as you can before you make your final decision. It not only has to work for you, it has to work with your body.

May you find that for which you are looking :happy:
  • soxphan1
    soxphan1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Posted this in another thread, but look at Sole.

They are made with high quality parts where it matters, lower quality (cost) where it doesn't.

Reasonably priced, and ship free from amazon. We are happy with ours.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you are sure that you want to invest in an elliptical (as in, using it almost daily as your main cardio workout), it is worth going to shops and try on a lot of models. We have one at home that is very sturdy but unfortunately collecting dust because soon after the purchase, I had swtiched to a very different way of exercising, and no longer rely on or even like elliptical.

When we purchased the machine, a few factors we consider:
    1. Height of the machine. You need to take into account the machine, your height and the height of the ceiling. It may or may not be an issue for you.

2. Strides. I don't think there is any standard per se, you just have to try and feel if it is right for you.

3. Stowaway or not. I find that the more flexible a machine is (like being able to fold up and stow away), the more opportunity for it to break or malfunction. The one we have is a great brand (but the model dated)...we hardly use the fold-up function. It is very heavy anyway.

4. Price does matter. When it comes to exercise equipment, I find that in general cost is postively correlated to quality :)

Hope this helps a bit.