NEVER been to a Gym, Going Tomorrow. So scared, HELP PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

The absolute worst that could happen is, you don't like it, so you don't return. Kind of like trying kale.

TESTIFY!!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    They require a contract, most places around my area do :-( The trainer/manager was so nice, he said the first session of training is free but he said he would help me our a few times until I got the hang of it. What if he is busy at the times I go? Ahh I worry toooo much I know! How do you stay motivated? I feel like once I start and get tired I will want to stop. I can not push myself at home I try to do squats/lunges and I do like 30 and stop. I never can keep doing it. I have no motivation I feel the pain and stop. Is it different at a gym, will I give up just as easily there?

Being in a gym atmosphere is motivational. Whether it's b/c of peer pressure or b/c you see all these people working hard, you're not going to just want to stop after you get tired. I promise.

If the trainer is busy just let him know you're there and then get on the treadmill or elliptical or bike until he's free then ask him what you need to. Most of the machines for resistance training (not the free weights) have instructions on them. Don't be scared to stand there and read them before beginning. It will help you prevent injury.

I totally stand there and look at the pictures and read the instructions, ain't no shame in that! And I also sometimes only use the plate on the machine that has NO number on it, which I think is like 10lbs. When it comes to upper-body, esp shoulders, I am weak. But I am working on it. And if someone sees me and is snickering in their mind at me - oh, well that is their problem. I use proper gym etiquette and wipe down machines when done and any haters can kiss my bubble-butt!
  • kimnniles
    Options
    Everyone has their "first time" at the gym. Just keep in mind that most people are there to gain back their health. Don't worry about what anyone at the gym thinks. Be concerned about your wonderful family and what they will think about their mom/wife taking her first step toward a healthier life. Being able to do more things and having more energy! Don't sweat it, you will be just fine!
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    another question, Do people pay attention to what others wear at the gym? I went and got a few things yesterday but I worry I won't be wearing the right thing that the other women are wearing or so on.

I'm not going to lie to you, people notice what people are wearing. But it's mostly when people are wearing things that don't fit their body right. But honestly, don't worry about what other girls are wearing. Worry about what you're in there to accomplish.
  • ashleydawnm16
    ashleydawnm16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was just like you when I started at the gym at the beginning of January. I find the more I have gone the more I have really grown comfortable with it and I don't care at all who is judging me or looking at me. Like many people have said on this post already, you are there for you and no one else! Feel confident about your body and how you are taking those extra steps to feel better about yourself and improve how you feel. I just started getting comfortable with the weight machines which was my scariest moment lol but now I love using them, just read the machine labels how to use them or ask people around you who are using them, at one point or another they didn't know how to use them either :) good luck!!
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their "first time" at the gym. Just keep in mind that most people are there to gain back their health. Don't worry about what anyone at the gym thinks. Be concerned about your wonderful family and what they will think about their mom/wife taking her first step toward a healthier life. Being able to do more things and having more energy! Don't sweat it, you will be just fine!

I definitely need more energy and a good mood booster, will this help?
  • motivatethismom
    Options
    There are a lot of replies to this topic, so forgive me if someone has already said this, but for motivation if you add friends on myfitnesspal and interact with them regularly. If you have active friends it can help motivate you greatly.

I have had several request so far and people are so kind and helpful! I am trying to keep up, maybe after I go on Friday I will be able to calm down more, get ahold of my nerves and sort through all my friends and remember everything.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just remember ... it's just a room. with stuff in it- and people doing stuff.

like an office- or wal-mart or anywhere else.

Everyone has done a good job so far- but really- it's just a room. A few things to keep in mind.

Don't be a Di*k. This is the golden rule of life- it covers a multitude of sins- I suspect you won't be in this category- it's the easiest way to avoid issues.
    > use your please and thank you's
    > Re-rack your weights
    > ask if you have a question
    > re-rack your weights
    > wipe down equipment you used
    > re-rack your weights
    > don't spit everywhere
    > re-rack your weights
    > don't be afraid to ask "how many sets do you have left"
    > re-rack your weights
    > if someone is NEAR a piece of equipment are you interested in and not working grab their attention and ask if they are using and can you work in- or how much longer they will be.
    > RERACK YOUR WEIGHTS
    > use your own water bottle if you want- but don't just leave it when you are done- take your garbage with you.
    > wear what you are comfortable in- but if you happen to be comfortable in booty shorts and a sports bra- or an extrmely tight/low cut shirt- expect some looks.
    > don't wear jeans if you can help it- I mean you can-go ahead- but it just makes you look like an idiot and a tool.
    > shorts that are so short your cheeks hang out- meeeehe- go ahead if you want to- but it's going to get you looks.
    > Wear two shirts or a padded bra under your sports bra if you have nipple fear. A lot of people get hard nipples working out- it's common- a lot of people do it. It is what it is- but it's something to be aware of that it happens- and if having them out makes you wildly uncomfortable- dark shirts- doubleing up- or using a lightly padded none push up bra under your sports bra are all ways to combat this problem.

> you will sweat- it's okay. even crotch sweat- it happens.
    > take a book to write down what you do if you want- lots of people do it.

Biggest trick is knowing what you want to do when you get there. Part of the uncomfortable is standing there or wandering around not knowing what you are doing. So have a plan- have a back up plan. This will save you a lot of fumbling about.

Look at the pictures on machines- make sure you adjust them properly- they have pictures and diagrams to help- it's okay to look at them.

You'll be fine. Use the staff- ask questions- and just say- sorry I'm new here if some one gives you a hard time- but don't let them run you off. You pay to use the facility- so you can use it to.

Oh- and re-rack your weights.
  • motivatethismom
    Options
    > Wear two shirts or a padded bra under your sports bra if you have nipple fear. A lot of people get hard nipples working out- it's common- a lot of people do it. It is what it is- but it's something to be aware of that it happens- and if having them out makes you wildly uncomfortable- dark shirts- doubleing up- or using a lightly padded none push up bra under your sports bra are all ways to combat this problem.

I don't know yet what you mean by re rack your weights but now that you pointed this out I will be sure and ask to make sure I do it ;-) . That was a concern of mine with the sports bra bc they can be so thin. I will figure something out. Do people tend to point these things out if it does happen? or is seeing nipples through a shirt pretty common?
  • eadebeaux
    eadebeaux Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello Motivate! First off, I noticed your profile photo, and you are a beautiful woman! You need to keep in mind, that EVERYONE had a first time at a gym, and they too had to learn how to use all of the equipment. Ask someone at the front desk for help to get started, get a personal trainer (if that's an option), or take a friend along that is familiar with some or all of the equipment. You may even make a new friend or two at the gym, that would be happy to help you! Ask the person at the front desk for a copy of a list of the all the equipment you are interested in (if they will do this), and learn what each "machine" is used for, and what parts of your body it will workout. Another suggestion, is do some research at home on your pc! Look up the workout equipment you are interested in, and watch tutorials and videos on how to use them properly. Plus, you had a lot of terrific suggestions from other people here! But mostly... Don't give a darn what other people think...besides, what are they doing at they GYM, if they're more busy checking out what you are doing!? Trust me, they're more concerned with their own workouts. Look at it like anything in life...being a mom for the first time and everything you learned along the way, starting a new job and everything you had to learn, etc. I know it can be nerve-racking at first, but don't let your emotions get in the way. Tell yourself, I am confident, I will learn this, and I will have people to help me along the way. You have no reason to fear anything...One thing that finally started helping me realize this in my life (after many years of fearing many things and letting it get to me), was thinking of other people I had seen or met along my life's path, who utterly amazed and put me in awe by their believing in themselves and just getting out and DOING IT...and I am speaking of people who have physical disabilities, war injuries, people who have been through some pretty tremendous things in their lives that would make the rest of think they would never walk again! Did you ever notice that some of these people seem to have better attitudes and confidence than the rest of us, and they have MORE of a challenge than we do! My problem was just getting my lazy self in the car and driving to the gym, or working out here at home. I don't have anything holding me back, and I honestly don't care what anybody else thinks about me, how I do things, or what I am wearing. Sometimes what you have to do, is literally, "Just Do It", and not over-analyze things in your mind and start freaking yourself out. Trust me, I've been there many times. Now if I fear anything, I start thinking of positive things in my mind beforehand, the survivors and people with MUCH larger challenges in their lives than me, and encouraging myself. I tell myself that I have NO EXCUSES, and that this "task" or "job" I am about to do isn't the "big" deal that I am making it to be in my mind! You know you got this Motivate! There is nothing to fear, but fear itself...Thoughts Become Things...Choose The Good Ones!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    it's just a room. with stuff in it- and people doing stuff.

like a wal-mart

I'm having trouble picturing a gym, as a Wal-mart. But, I get your point. :smile: I almost see the gym as being the anti-Wal-Mart.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I don't know yet what you mean by re rack your weights but now that you pointed this out I will be sure and ask to make sure I do it ;-) . That was a concern of mine with the sports bra bc they can be so thin. I will figure something out. Do people tend to point these things out if it does happen? or is seeing nipples through a shirt pretty common?

Re-rack your weights, just means put them back where you got them. If you use free weights, don't just drop 'em on the floor, when you're done with them. See, now, you're getting concerned about bra issues.... you're overthinking. You'll know SO much more after tomorrow. :smile: You're gonna come back to this thread, and post.... 'what the hell was I so worried about?'
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared and ask people for help if you don't know how something works. 95% of the time people are really friendly to new people.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    The first time is the hardest! It took me 15 YEARS to work up the courage to go. I can't believe I was so worried. All that I have found there is encouragement and support. Go and enjoy it. You're gonna love it. :flowerforyou:
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's awkward at first, that's true...but KEEP GOING.

ASK QUESTIONS. If you don't know how to work the treadmill, ask. People are always happy to help.

WIPE DOWN YOUR EQUIPMENT...this includes where your hands sweat all over the elliptical, treadmill. Head sweat. Crotch sweat. Leaving your equipment w/o wiping it down is NASTY.

And DON'T QUIT! Yes, you'll be sore. Yes, there will be days you don't want to go. Yes, there will be days you will hate the treadmill, elliptical, machines, etc.....KEEP GOING. You'll get past it.

And remember...everyone in there was a newbie at one point. Those guys weren't born with those muscles.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wear two shirts or a padded bra under your sports bra if you have nipple fear. A lot of people get hard nipples working out- it's common- a lot of people do it. It is what it is- but it's something to be aware of that it happens- and if having them out makes you wildly uncomfortable- dark shirts- doubleing up- or using a lightly padded none push up bra under your sports bra are all ways to combat this problem.

That was a concern of mine with the sports bra bc they can be so thin. I will figure something out. Do people tend to point these things out if it does happen? or is seeing nipples through a shirt pretty common?

^^THIS. I had to buy new sports bras with padding b/c I was embarrassing my 16 y/o son.

And yes, people do notice what you are wearing....like I notice how that girl wears tanks that are WAY TOO LOW and her giant fake boobs are pushed up under her chin like they are flotation devices and she's afraid the gym is going to flood....
  • denisegunnels
    denisegunnels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can understand your trepidation. One, you are trying something new. Two, you are making a life change. Three, you will be in a noisy, unfamiliar place with lots of weird looking equipment that you have no idea how to operate. OK Deep breath. It's going to be just fine.

First, remember all the new stuff you have done in your life. Did you know how to diaper that baby until someone else taught you? Did you know how to do the work/tasks at you first job? Of course not. My point is you've survived lots of 'new' experiences and you will this one as well.

Listen to the trainer. Ask lots of questions. Make notes if you need to. When in doubt you can always ask staff for assistance. At my gym almost all the staff are certified trainers. Also, when it comes to Nautilus equipment , there are diagrams and instructions on each one,

Take some of the classes. You'll be in there with a bunch of other people, most of whom will not know what they are doing either. Remember, this isn't second grade. Nobody is gong to point, snicker behind your back, or call you names. They are too worried that they are the ones doing something doofus.

As for clothing, I don't have fancy workout duds and I don't care. It's pretty much just whatever leggings and t-shirts I put on. If you are a busty girl and you plan on running or doing anything that requires jumping you will want to wear a snug bra and probably some kind of compression shirt. I actually wear a neoprene dive top. However you do it just make sure the 'girls' are secure or you will be self conscious and very, very uncomfortable.

That's it. No big. The only other thing is keep moving and have a good time.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options

If someone in the gym pointed out that my nipples were being, for lack of a better term, "over active" I'd probably call the cops on them lol. that would be extremely inappropriate. That is something that just naturally happens when lifting weights and things. You can't control it. If you don't like it, wear baggy clothes. But honestly, I've noticed that my own do that but I've never ever noticed any other female. Ever. I cant say I stare at womens chests though...
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Life long (well 30+ years) gym guy. I like seeing new people come in and like it even more when they stick to it. I like to see folks go from being unsure of themselves to confident to bold in their approach to working out (wish they could just skip the unsure part, but I think it's natural). I don't spend too much of my time watching folks, but you do notice who is there. I am often inspired by ladies who are tough enough to work hard and not be afraid to sweat and get out of breath - tough people are always inspirational to me regardless of gender or how long they've been coming to the gym. My recommendation...work hard, focus on improving your health, and to Davey Jones Locker with anyone who looks crossways at you if your doing that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

read my post again. it answer that question about nips. And yes it happens- no one is going to say- but again- if you are uncomfortable with it- you need some padding. If you dont' care- do whatever.

re-rack- put them back where THEY BELONG.

if you found the fives on the floor- and you needed the 5's great- now put the 5's back in the 'five's" place. Don't just leave them where you necessarily found them. put them away.