Chocolate..Really?

Options
:O

I read somewhere chocolate helps you to lose weight :|

or atleast it doesn't increase your weight...wats up wid that"?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Anything can increase your weight if you go over calories.

Too much oatmeal / chicken / lettuce will make you fat if you eat enough of it over your calories.

Now to chocolate. Dark chocolate slows down digestion so you feel full longer (never works for me).

It's also monounsaturated fats, like olive oil / peanut butter / nuts.... which are good for you in moderation.

Weight loss comes from a deficit in calories.... not a Hershey Special Dark chocolate bar.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    Thanks...so all that matters is to stay in calories goal/?
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options

absolutely 100% spot on correct. As far as weight loss goes, that's all that matters.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It may also help prevent a binge by allowing that ounce of good quality chocolate.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Yes. Unless your going for some lean muscle.... then protein / carbs & resistance training play a bigger factor.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Technically, yes - to lose weight, all you have to do is eat fewer calories than you burn through daily activity and exercise. But if you want to lose weight AND be healthy, you need to eat foods in the right balance too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate in particular is extremely nutrient dense...it's not going to help you lose weight, but dark chocolate is chalk full of antioxidants and other nutrients. It is calorie dense so you have to watch your portions.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    Its not that i am going to make chocolate my daily routine..

i just wanna make sure if its fits in my calorie limit...can i eat once or twice a week...

and btw i eat 17g diary milk which has 95 calories and 10g carb with 4-5gm fat
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Technically, yes - to lose weight, all you have to do is eat fewer calories than you burn through daily activity and exercise. But if you want to lose weight AND be healthy, you need to eat foods in the right balance too.

Well said!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    :O

I read somewhere chocolate helps you to lose weight :|

or atleast it doesn't increase your weight...wats up wid that"?

It does not matter what the question is, chocolate is ALWAYS the answer. :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It has to do with the psychological side of weight loss. Eating a bit of chocolate may help one feel less deprived while restricting calories, which may make the process more sustainable.

But, you still must maintain a calorie deficit.
  • kiki2009
    kiki2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always have 10 chocolate chips after dinner. It helps with cravings and I build it into my calories. I've been able to stick to my diet now for 20 days with this little trick. (down 19 pounds)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

i just wanna make sure if its fits in my calorie limit...can i eat once or twice a week...

If it fits in your calorie budget every day, you can eat it every day. If you don't want to, that's fine too, but you don't have to deprive yourself just be you feel it isn't "healthy". Labeling foods as good and bad is not a way to sustain weight loss or eating habits in general.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses :))
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Why not!? =D

I try to make sure chocolate is in my daily routine (creme egg today).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There isn't any food that is a cure-all for weight loss. That's just wishful thinking. However, chocolate does contain some micronutrients and in moderate amounts can be made part of a healthy diet.
  • Fitnursejo
    Options

Well said!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I see you are Sikh, congratulations on your weight loss, that is hard to do in India, I am assuming you are veg?

I travel back and forth between the United States an Chennai. I gained 18 lbs in 5 months due to the fact the food is oil rich and carb heavy. I also had no idea how many calories many of the Indian bread have, not just the naan. One masala dosa and 2 South Indian coffees per day were ringing in at 766 calories, and that was just the start of my day.

I am going back in April and I would love to know what choices you made as far as food goes to lose your weight? Did you do portion control or cut things out? Or basically eat all home cooked meals? I really struggle when I am there because it is hard for me to exercise due to rolling black outs, and well, as you know, running on the sidewalk is not ideal do to the the heat and the traffic.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.