Runners- cadence app/advice for gate improvement

Options
I went to running store and had my running form checked. My right side is over striding (not close to being over hip, heel strike is unstable, pronate outward). Both legs are the same length. He recommended I practice cadence and said to find an app to help.

Any recommendations on an app to practice cadence for runs?
Any other thoughts?

I have never run for running sake except to get in shape for sports (3-6 miles). Last summer I spent a month of running to prep for a 11.5m tough mudder, my long run was 8m. Since I did the 11.5m TM, I figured I skip a 1/2 marathon (i know its not the same thing with the stops for obstacles) and do a full marathon. I have now read it probably was not the smartest move since prior to last July I really hadnt run at all for 3 years.
Not surprising with the gate analysis, my right side has really been an issue. Hamstring, glute, pulled back in the last 3-4 weeks as my runs increased. I am following a program called "run coach" that is suggesting my workouts so I am doing it safely and methodically.

Thanks for input

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am not the best one to advice about cadence, since I know mine is not were it should be. I do not use a Garmin as of now maybe later on I will invest in one. I know that Garmin with a pod can give you your cadence.

I downloaded an app called Running cadence - injury coach for my Android phone.

I did use it for a bit, and it was good because it tells your cadence every mile or half a mile so you know if you need to increase it. I was on the low side which I know that I need to work on. But honestly it was hard focusing on cadence and trying to hit 180 I was like in 169.

I stopped using it because I was stressing too much about it during my runs, but I will come back to it after I run my first Half Marathon. And you are brave by doing a full marathon :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Another option is a simple one ... add a metronome to your music playlist and learn the feel of your recommended cadence by running to the beat. 180 steps a minute is a fast turn over that takes some getting used to. Jog Tunes lets you pick music by beat so you can keep that tempo in your ear during your run via music rather than a monotonous tone for mile after mile.

If you go with an app, a lot depends on what type phone you have. Certain pods only work with iPhones, not the android versions of the app (thanks for nothing, Polar Beat for Android). Other apps use your phone's accelerometer as a pedometer to count steps. Suunto and Garmin make pod, HRM, GPS compatible watches if you choose to go that route and spend the cash required.