Hitting protein in maintainence with strength

Options
Hi guys,

So i'm female, around 112lbs, i've worked out my minimum protein requirements to be around 86gram to maintain the lbm i have now, but having upped my strength training workouts I really want to get over the minimum now and get more in,I usually hit around 92 from natural food sources but no higher.

I'm just looking for some advice/opinions from others on what supplements they use and how the incorporate them in their diet?

Obviously it is not something i'm going to make a staple but I'm thinking perhaps on training days of taking a protein smoothie or making protein pancakes or something, what do you guys do?
Also anyone here shop in holland and barrett for protein supplements, i'm from the uk and at the moment this seems to be my best option.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Holland and Barrett are usually more expensive and I have found the staff are not very knowledgeable e.g. One girl told me, while looking for a protein juice, that I could buy this one that had bcaas - it contained only 3g protein - bcaas are branched chain amino acids or PROTEIN - so 3g per serving!!

Try amazon or optimum nutrition website - also tesco, Asda etc ( they usually have maxi muscle which is quite nice).

Personally, I like ON 100% whey or casein - you can get £1 samples to see if you like them first.

Edited for copious amount of spelling mistakes :$
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Fellow Brit here. Tip: protein powders (and in fact everything else as well) in H&B are EXTORTIONATE. I and everyone I know buys their powders online. Bulk Powders and MyProtein are both excellent, in quality, taste, price and service. The packs usually arrive within 2 days, are really good quality and they only cost about £15 for a 1kg bag of the stuff.

I usually have protein shakes after workouts. I've also just changed jobs and have a much earlier morning start than before so I've been having them quite a lot for breakfast as well as they're so quick, convenient and filling AND they don't use up too much of my daily calories if I mix them with water (which I do).

All in all: go for the protein powders! :)
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking for some advice/opinions from others on what supplements they use and how the incorporate them in their diet?
    Whey, Creatine, Vitamins, Fish Oil, Fiber
    Obviously it is not something i'm going to make a staple but I'm thinking perhaps on training days of taking a protein smoothie or making protein pancakes or something, what do you guys do?
    I eat whey two ways (note, I'm not a chef and I'm not creative)
    (1) Plain oatmeal with whey in it for flavoring. Add in some walnuts / pecans if you need help hitting your fat macro.
    (2) Smoothie after workout. I add in whatever I need to help hit macros. Bannanas if I need more carbs and heavy cream / coconut milk (canned) if I need more fat and nuts / nut butter if I need a little of both.

I'm sure there's much more interesting things to do but I just use it as a flexible meal to help get close to my target numbers.
    Also anyone here shop in holland and barrett for protein supplements, i'm from the uk and at the moment this seems to be my best option.
    Sorry, no help here.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it, seems online shopping is the way to go have a had a look on amazon and the prices are actually very reasonable!..Smoothies also seem to be a good option for me, in saying that I did up a plan today of my weekly meals and ways to incorporate protein more and went out and got my groceries so feeling better!. That being said its nice to know there is the option of powder for other days.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's chocolate whey protein powder in post-workout smoothies. Combined with greek yogurt the protein# for these shakes is +20.