Major Changes

Options
I'm reaching out to the MFP community for some much-needed support right now. I recently got out of a 2.5 year abusive relationship. In that time, I gained weight and changed a lot about myself to make my partner happy. Never again. I'm getting back to the old me. I love being active, she didn't. She didn't enjoy hiking or biking or working out in general. I stopped doing a lot of those things because I wanted to do them with her, and not many of my friends wanted to, either. We fell into the habit of eating poorly, too. I know I feel better and function better on a balanced diet (I also eat 3-4 small meals a day). She would eat one bad meal each day that probably had around 2500 calories in it, and I'd eat 2-3 small meals then go out to eat with her. So, I started packing on the pounds. I don't blame the relationship for the weight gain, I just wish I hadn't compromised my personal health for it.

To compound things, I broke my leg last summer and have only been walking since October, and that was painful. I still can't run more than .25 mile without my knee hurting. I can swim, bike, or use the elliptical as much as I want. I miss running! I had a lateral tibial plateau fracture--has anyone else ever had that? (My tibia will always have a 3mm dent in it, causing cartilage pain on impact until the cartilage naturally wears down and smooths out) How long did your injury take to recover? Can you run without pain yet? I want to do a 5k this May, and a 10k this fall. Small goals.

I joined a gym near my job and have been going 4-5 times a week, except for last week when we had an ice storm hit Atlanta (national news because it was "only 2 inches of snow".) I've lost 7.5lbs since January 17th. I haven't lost anything this week, maybe because I wasn't at the gym that much. My ultimate goal is to get down to 160 or 155, which would be about a size 6-8 for my frame and height. I haven't been that weight in about a decade.

Groupon had a great deal on yoga and dance classes, so I'm hoping my alternating the dance (lower impact classes but high energy) and yoga and gym during the week, I can up my calorie burn and keep building lean muscle. I'm doing light weight training, stretching, yoga, and dance at home every day for an hour while I watch TV.

My psychological health has taken a hit. I feel like I'm wearing a skin or suit of my past and I'm clawing at it to get it off of me. But that suit is made of fat and regret. That's why I'm reaching out to get some advice and support. I just want to move on but I don't feel like I can until I can see the old me in the mirror.

Any encouraging words?

I live in the Atlanta area, so if anyone ever wants to go hiking or bike the Silver Comet Trail, send me a message. Springtime is approaching!

Replies

• spartangod
    Options
    You sound like an amazing and upbeat woman to be around Ms. Historic. I admire your struggle and courage to keep moving forward ( I know historians hate the idea of progress but in this case let us make an exception) haha. I am sorry your partner had a different view on life when it came to food but I think you will succeed in coping with this situation because of what you have learned from the past. If we don't learn from the past we are doomed to repeat it right? You will learn from this and become even stronger than what you were before. I have faith in you and I don't even know you. Humans have the ability to adapt to almost any type of scenario thrown at them. You are par of humanity and you are strong. I wish you luck with your program and weight loss and am deeply sorry that I cannot walk with you as I think we could have some interesting intellectual conversations as well as get some deeply needed exercise in for us both.

Best Regards,

your MFP friend :)
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you've had a rough time. Kudos to you for being proactive and reclaiming your health...both physically and emotionally. I understand, a little,e about missing running, been off for two weeks due to broken toe. But, swimming is a great alternative for getting that "in the zone" feeling that is similar to running.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I wish we lived in the same area...I'd be glad to hike with you as your strength returns, but alas, I'm in New England.

Cheers for getting out of a bad situation and taking measures to set your life back on track in many ways--not just getting fit and eating better, from the sound of it. I can't offer specific advice about dealing with the injury except to talk to your doctor or PT about the best ways to ease back into exercise.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hello from another Atlantan! I'd love to be able to hike with you, but I'm in a wheelchair right now. Maybe some day. In the meantime, know you have my support and good wishes! Hey, we survived the "major snow storm" now didn't we.
  • Nessaleesee
    Nessaleesee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sending good thoughts your way! I empathize with the idea that you feel like you can't move forward until you see the old you in the mirror - but I'd be willing to bet that just moving away from the source/inspiration of your prior bad habits will be the kickstarter you need to get back to that physical place. As for the psychological toll, time and talking does wonders. Each day will bring something new that reaffirms the positive and healthy choices in your life, even if it feels rough right now.