Hot Yoga or Pilates ???

Options
I’m considering taking a Hot yoga class or Pilates class to change up my workout routine. So I guess my question is:

Have you taken either Hot yoga or Pilates classes?? If so, what is your take on the class(s)???

Replies

• phillipedes
    Options
    Can you do both? :)

I've taken both... here's the scoop.

Hot Yoga is just that - HOT yoga. You will SWEAT. And sweat. And sweat more. It's amazing. This is great if you're trying to detox, or just want to work up a nice sweat, get the pores open, and maybe flush some water weight! Bikram Yoga is a specialized type of Hot Yoga, with a "flow" of poses (Vinyasa). It's not just stretching! Drink a ton of water the night before/few hours before class. Bring a towel, a yoga mat, and lots of water.

Pilates is sculpting. Remember gym class in Middle School/High School? Lots of bodyweight exercises - part yoga, part bootcamp. You'll be doing things like leglifts, deep lunges, pushup-type poses (cobra/updog, chattarangas, etc.) and other yoga-esque moves. I've taken pilates before and although it goes at a somewhat steady pace, it can be a VERY good workout. Bring a yoga mat, and some also say a resistance band. (Many studios provide them, complimentary.)

Neither of these will really build heavy muscle, they're lighter exercises. Nonetheless, they're really fun. If you ever get the chance, try Hot Pilates! The best of both worlds :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've taken both. Lots of my friends love Hot Yoga. It's just not for me but neither is regular yoga. I do love Hot Pilates like the prior poster mentioned. The classes I take are like a bootcamp in a hot room with just enough of a yoga and stretching aspect to it for me. Try them and see what works for you.
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    hot yoga!!! its so amazing! :blushing: you sweat so much and get a killer workout. i always feel so accomplished when i walk out of the studio.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on hot yoga for a workout, but rather to stretch out my body from the damage inflicted by other workouts. My back has been so much happier lately. If only my hip flexors would respond as well.

If you need to stretch, try hot yoga.