Changing MFP weight loss goal

Options
Hello All,
I started taking my weight loss seriously in October of 2013 and lost 20 pounds. The holidays came and went and I hit a plateau for a while. After adding some different classes (kettle bells and Body Attack) to my routine I have broken the plateau and lost 2 more pounds. The goal I set on MFP was to lose 2 pounds a week and my calorie limit was 1200, not including exercise. On the days I go to the gym I eat back some of my exercise calories and I’m not hungry. I am finding on the days that I don’t go to the gym I am thinking about those damn 1200 calories to the point of distraction. :grumble:

I am considering changing my goals to 1 pound a week so that I can have more calories. I know it doesn’t sound like much but it will give me an additional 220 cals a day, which can take the “I’m going to kill everyone in this place” edge off. I know that it may take me a little longer to reach my goal but I don’t want this to be a miserable experience either.

I would like to know if anyone else has adjusted their goals in a similar way and did it work out for you. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

try reading this and see if it is a direction you would want to explore
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my goals, but I've had mine set at 1 lb a week since I started in the beginning of December 2013. So far I've lost approx. 16.5 lbs. I like the flexibility it gives me. Some days I eat right around 1200-1300 calories, other days I eat 1600-1700 if I've exercised a lot and I'm eating back the extras. I've been consistently losing about 2 lbs a week doing tit this way. It does put more on me to watch where I'm at overall for the week, but I like that on days when I feel like I need to eat more, I can.
  • tweetetina
    Options
    This is what I do.. I have mine set at 1.5 pounds a week which allows me 1260 a day... After a while I get cranky at that so switch it up to 1 or 1/2 pound a week for a couple weeks to allow more calories while still losing something. It helps keep me on track overall aNd get past the urge to either stab someone or eat a whole buffet lol. Then I will switch it back to lose more later. This worked or me about a year ago and is working for me again. (Recently back here after switching to weight watchers at work, which I hated)
  • GeekyNerd
    GeekyNerd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that gets that "stabby" urge once in a while :wink:
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience as you. Set it at 2 pounds/week which gave me 1200 calories, but it seemed too low even after eating back exercise calories, so I set the pounds/week lower (can't remember if it's 1 or 1.5) so now I get 1370 calories.

One thing I've found is that on the days I exercise, the calories I'm given are plenty. On the days I'm a couch potato, I get so hungry I could gnaw off my own arm. I don't understand why, but at least I recognize it so I am able to avoid it most days by doing at least some extra activity each day.