Choosing activity level

Options
Hello,

I'm not sure whether my activity level that I've set, is right... I wanted some opinions please.

I walk with my dog 5 miles per day, seven days a week at approx 4mph, plus I do one or two seven minute work outs (iPhone app) every morning, I work 22 hours a week over five days, in a job where I'm constantly on my feet except for 10 mins dinner time and I do between 10-40 minutes of 10 Minute Solutions Blast Off Bodyfat, which is basically calisthenics plus some light weights and some cardio. I have two small children and so along with everything else, I can safely say I am rarely sedentary.

I don't log my exercise on here as I don't see how MFP can give every individual the same calorie burn, instead I have listed myself as "active", looking at the above, would you say that is accurate?

Thanks
Sophie x

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yes, you sound "active". Go with it. Eat the calorie amount recommended for a month and see if you lose at the rate predicted. If you lose well more than predicted then up your calories. If you lose less than predicted then lower them. Everyone is an individual and this will give you a good place to start, but adjust as needed.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Probably close enough. The setting helps MFP calculate your intake goals. You need to log your exercise that's above your normal level of activity in order to get a reasonable net calorie count and make progress. Many folks buy a FitBit or other device that monitors your movements automatically and synchs with MFP, that might be a good solution for you.

In general, you just have to see what works. If you set a loss goal and the plan is working then the settings are probably good. If you find you are not losing consider adjusting. Bottom line, expend more calories than you consume in order to lose weight--period.