HELP I ate too many calories :|

Options
I've been on a successful diet for a month now, and have lost about 14Lbs. I track my calories using the app.

Today I kinda got off track, had a glass of Coke (REGULAR) for lunch, I had beef stew AND white rice, and TWO beef empanadas. It was like "Old Me" took over for a minute and ate everything. All in all, I had about 1600 calories FOR LUNCH ONLY.

Anyways, I blew it. But I will be able to burn these calories: 60 minutes of Max Cardio, 30 minutes of Insane Abs (both Insanity) and 20 minutes of jump ropes. I usually burn about 1000 doing all of those activities.

My question is: even if I do burn these calories, and finish the day with my usual 1000 Net calories, will so many calories taken affect my weight loss?

I'll post a link to a screenshot of my Diary, so you can get a better idea of it. (Ignore the time of day, that includes everything from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed).

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

http://m.imgur.com/NCF5J1R

Replies

• fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it was just one day. Do better tomorrow and don't worry about it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it was just one day. Do better tomorrow and don't worry about it.

^Agreed. You may see a blip on the scale this week because of it, but it's far more likely to be from water retention than actual weight gain.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day.

You should have seen what I ate (and drank) on my brithday. But I lost the small gain from that day pretty quickly.

Sometimes our sanity just needs a day over. It doesn't harm our metabolism either.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I didn't even bother to look after I saw your "usual 1000 Net calories". Why are you only netting 1,000 calories? Just curious. On second thought, maybe I will look.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Eh it's just one day.. Work out and move on :) You'll do better tomorrow!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It's call life and it happens. We all have days now and then when the "old us" comes out. Like the others said, it's only one day and you will be fine. You understand that it can't be an everyday thing and it sounds like you wont let it. Tomorrow is a new day. ;)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry do you net 1000 calories every day? I do not think that is enough calories.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, just get back to the plan tomorrow. Trying to "make up" by eating too little tomorrow will likely cause you to eat too much the following day. Avoid the yo-yo eating. Just move on. Maybe exercise a little extra the next few days if you really feel the need to "make up" for the binge.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    One day doesnt matter. Look at that matter from weekly perspective. Tomorrow is another day. :)
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I didn't even bother to look after I saw your "usual 1000 Net calories". Why are you only netting 1,000 calories? Just curious. On second thought, maybe I will look.

Yeah I wondered that too. Maybe OP just means he ends up with the 1000 cals after working out and everything included? Like, that he doesn't eat all his exercise cals back.. idk
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    It's one day and no it shouldn't hurt you at all. We all seem to fall into "old me" syndrome periodically. I did today ordering something for lunch before finding out the calorie count (tracked it, ate the half portion I'd allowed myself, packaged the rest up and taking it home to my son). And exercise for me tonight is non-existent. I wrote it up to going over one day and will plan dinner accordingly. I can recover from this, it is only 1 day and often times I'm under mainly due to exercise (I eat back around 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories), except this week it is due to not feeling well.

You can do this. A big lifestyle change (like learning to eat right and exercise) is a going to have some times that you stumble. Just get right back up and keep moving forward.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I've been on a successful diet for a month now, and have lost about 14Lbs. I track my calories using the app.

Today I kinda got off track, had a glass of Coke (REGULAR) for lunch, I had beef stew AND white rice, and TWO beef empanadas. It was like "Old Me" took over for a minute and ate everything. All in all, I had about 1600 calories FOR LUNCH ONLY.

Anyways, I blew it. But I will be able to burn these calories: 60 minutes of Max Cardio, 30 minutes of Insane Abs (both Insanity) and 20 minutes of jump ropes. I usually burn about 1000 doing all of those activities.

My question is: even if I do burn these calories, and finish the day with my usual 1000 Net calories, will so many calories taken affect my weight loss?

I'll post a link to a screenshot of my Diary, so you can get a better idea of it. (Ignore the time of day, that includes everything from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed).

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

http://m.imgur.com/NCF5J1R

You NET 1000 calories a day!?! for a man that is FAR too little unless you are under Doctor's supervision. I recommend upping your daily calories. Eat over your BMR and under your TDEE which you can find here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good Luck!
  • NancieFeatherston
    NancieFeatherston Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, I was just wanting to pose this very question... how low can your net calories get?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Yeah I wondered that too. Maybe OP just means he ends up with the 1000 cals after working out and everything included? Like, that he doesn't eat all his exercise cals back.. idk

He's only 18 yrs old. I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to bet that nutritionally, he needs to net more than 1,000 calories a day.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have to agree, there are going to be bad days. I try to allow my self 1 cheat day a week. I don't go crazy, but it allows me to maintain some sanity by having an opportunity to live a little with someone. Example, last week was my wifes birthday so we went to red lobster and dinner was like 2K calories, that's more than I eat in a day. A week later, no damage on the scale and I worked it back off anyways. Another trick I find useful is I compare my net calories for the week against my goals and I use that to allow for fluctuations where i'm a little over one day but under on others.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Well, I was just wanting to pose this very question... how low can your net calories get?

They can get as low as you want them to be, that doesn't mean it's healthy.

It's not what you think, just for educational purposes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/475726-very-low-calorie-diets-and-metabolic-damage

And OP, you should also read this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Like others said. Don't fret about a single bad day. (I had a rough day myself on Super Bowl Sunday). Tomorrow get up, start off with a healthy breakfast, drink lots of water, eat healthy throughout the day, get some exercise, and get on with doing what you did the last month. Whatever you do, don't let one bad day make you give up on yourself.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay, since I am having a hard time distinguishing between real posts and people from MFP making sarcastic posts to make fun of other posts, I want to know if this is real or not?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have 4 kg left to lose, that is what, less than 10 pounds. You are an 18 year old male, very active. Your calorie goal is only 2,000?

You didn't eat too much. And, you're doing it wrong.