getting in shape to get in shape?

Options
I've been trying to do push-ups and can now do 2 or 3 girly ones after 2 months. Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen my upper body, so that I will be able to do more/better push-ups?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a girly pushup. it's just a push up- exercises have no gender- workouts have no gender- there are no penis or vagina directed workouts- that's a myth perpetuated by magazines. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

There are modified push ups- and push up progression/variations. period.

Get off your knees- it's not helping you AT ALL.

Go to your kitchen counter- or the wall- your strength will dictate this or stairs (stairs are GREAT for shortly obvious reasons)... do them with proper alignment- chest to the counter (not your chin) holding your glutes- and abs.

You can do halfies as well to get more bang for your buck- go down half way- hold- all the way- hold- half way up- all the way up. Good stuff

If you don't have stairs- graduate to a chair- or stairs- move downward.

just keep doing that- the knee thing removes a crucial aspect of the push up- many people never make the transition from knee to full push up. It'll get better.

You can do some knee work as well- lifting a single leg up -and working your push ups with one leg up... will help with core strength and balance.

Just keep working your way to the floor and soon you'll have your feet on the stairs instead of your hands. :D
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know that push-ups can be for men or women, but I didn't know what else to call them. Thanks for the idea of doing them on the stairs. My core isn't bad, but I just don't have the strength yet in my arms and chest to lift myself all the way up or lower myself back down without falling. I also have about 70 pounds to lose, so once I get some of that off, I'm sure it will be easier, too.