Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    How does one cleanse one's liver? :huh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I remove my liver and run it through the wash once a week.

:flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Must be a full moon tonight, :laugh: .

OP~ try Taco Bell.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    From a nurses standpoint here. I would be very cautious on this type of cleansing. The only thing that actually helps the liver is some herbs which are supposed to be monitored by a m.d. I agree with the clean eating or a sugar detox that will be all you need. Just my opinion.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    if you want a healthy liver cleanse you can put beets carrots ginger lemon and apple together and blend it up and drink your liver cleanse smoothie and that recipe is from Jeanette Jenkins. I saw it on the Queen Latifah show. She said it's supposed to taste good too. If i was going to do a cleanse i would rather do the what Jeanette says then what you can buy at a store because you get all the vitamins and minerals you should and you know whats going in your body. but overall it is up to you. good luck :)
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How does one cleanse one's liver? :huh:
    I like to think whiskey does a good job of sanitizing it. That's close to cleansing, isn't it?
  • 1983ashleigh
    1983ashleigh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink more water than most people I know (anywhere from 80-100 oz a day), and have a decently healthy food habit (the only meat I eat is fish & I do not eat any sweets). My problem is limiting the quantity, and I love my adult beverages.

Thank you all so much for your comments, but some of you could tone it down a few notches. I'm just asking if any of you have had positive/negative results from this. If you want to read about this I recommend doing a search on "why to do liver cleanses" and go to the reputable sites that come up. It is actually interesting if you are open to hearing the science behind it. I'm wanting to do something that will assist me kick-off the plan. I'm not saying I am giving up food or anything along those lines... I'm just wanting to go about this in as healthy of a manner as I can. That is all...

Reminder: We are all on this forum to support each other achieve our goals, not to show criticism as to how we all get there. I think we all struggle with our bodies in same form or another, which is why we should all support each other achieve our goals! Giving helpful information is how we get there, and sorry to say some of you really need to be reminded of that one. Sorry if I am being a little harsh today, but I just loss an uncle to liver cancer, so I'm more concerned with this area of my body than others... I just want to be as healthy as possible!
  • 1983ashleigh
    1983ashleigh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that are concerned with what the supplements contain.

Liver is supposed to cleanse you. You don't have to cleanse it.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just eat clean for two weeks, that is all you need. No processed foods, sweets, sugars, added salts or preservatives, etc. Lean meats and veggies, that's it. LOTS of water. Best way to "cleanse" everything.

I hate the phrase "eat clean" because its definition varies so much from person to person that it is largely meaningless and I find the ethos of demonizing food to be too close to orthorexia for my liking.

However, I do agree, if the OP wants to "cleanse" then the best way to do so is to eat healthily - lots of fruit, veg, lean protein, and water with no sugary foods/drinks, no alcohol, no sodas or caffeinated beverages is probably the best way to go about it. Do this for a couple of weeks, then start adding back in yummy food such as ice cream and chocolate, alcohol, and other vices after a couple of weeks once you're bored of salads and soups. Don't vow to cut out chocolate or "eat clean" forever - chocolate is the 4th essential food group (with fats carbs and proteins) and going without it for long periods of time is bad for you :smile:

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/
    http://evidencemag.com/?s=healthy+diet
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Happy Thursday! I have a question to ask you all... I am going to do a liver cleanse for about 2 weeks. I have just started a new job, and it is during a little bit of a down time, so I have been researching the best things to do with weight loss. I came across an article stating that a liver cleanse is a great way to start, because it helps your system get rid of fatty deposits that are built up in your liver. I am a little bit scared of doing this, but it makes total sense to me at the same time. Has anyone else done this with good/bad results? The one I am doing is just 3 supplements once a day, so it should not be too involved.

Fatty deposits on your liver are a result of several factors - high fat diet, insulin resistance/diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity, hypothyroidism...just to name a few. Cleanses only clean out your wallet. If you want to "cleanse" your liver eat a healthy diet (high fiber, low fat), get your cholesterol in a normal range (if it is high), manage your diabetes (if you have it), exercise, lose 20% total body weight within the next 6 months.
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments, but some of you could tone it down a few notches. I'm just asking if any of you have had positive/negative results from this. If you want to read about this I recommend doing a search on "why to do liver cleanses" and go to the reputable sites that come up. It is actually interesting if you are open to hearing the science behind it. . . . I just loss an uncle to liver cancer, so I'm more concerned with this area of my body than others... I just want to be as healthy as possible!

You seem really earnest about this so, if the joking and lack of 'support' bother you, I'm sorry. But you should be sure to check out the science behind whatever it is this company has planned for you.

Some you might want to read:
    "There is no reliable evidence to support any of the claims made for liver flushes."
    http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/pharmacologicalandbiologicaltreatment/liver-flush

" The liver is self-cleansing – toxins don’t accumulate in it"
    http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

"no evidence indicates liver cleansing will help with this condition, though weight loss and increased exercise can reduce fat levels in your liver."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/315611-will-i-lose-weight-with-liver-cleanse/

"Aside from cases of excessive alcohol or drug use, there is no good evidence that the liver needs to be—or can be—detoxed. "
    http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/detox-diets-myths-vs-reality