1200 Calories! How do you do it!

Options
I've been doing 1,200 calories, eating more if I exercise. But I just don't know how anyone can do it and feel full!

Replies

• Ktmax456
    Ktmax456 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They can't. And you shouldn't.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    But so many people here do and seem to get along fine :/
  • kassidylynSanborn
    Options
    1200 calories to 1450 is the recommended amount for a completely sedentary person. Unless you are bed ridden you should be eating 1400 as a minimum unless directed by a doctor. If you are quite active try eating around 1800 a day.
    Hope this helps.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Here's a day I ate under 1200. (Very rare for me.) And I was quite full.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports/printable_diary/WBB55?from=2014-01-28&to=2014-01-28

But I didn't exercise or walk that day or anything, so that's probably why I wasn't hungry. (I was trying to save up calories for a bit Superbowl Sunday meal.)

EDIT TO ADD: Don't eat under 1200 on a regular basis! I don't even do it once a week normally.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think exercise makes a big difference in appetite. I struggle with this too, although my goal is 1350. I ran the other day, and afterwards, I could have chewed off my arm. Tea is a life saver. Warm, flavored, healthy, guilt free.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't. I eat 2000 + calories most days.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says they are getting along fine eating 1200 cals a day and weighs over 120lbs is a liar and should not be trusted.
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I admit, it can be hard. My main goal is to get as much protein as I can.

I get frustrated when people say that you shouldn't eat 1200. Everyone is not the same, I was set at 1500 for a while and was losing about .25lbs per week. Sorry, that isn't enough for me. At 1200 I lose 1-1.5lbs per week. Yeah, some days are hard but you push through.

I try to eat a ton of veggies and I make a lot of smoothies.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are but I can see that you only have a few lbs left to lose so like everyone else said... you should probably eat more than 1200. You will lose weight faster, but if you only have a little bit of fat left to lose it's more likely you'll lose muscle mass too eating only 1200 so yeah you'll loose those 4 lbs but you won't actually look that much more toned or skinnier. Anyway, some days when I don't work out I eat as few as 1300 and I'm 5'10" and I don't feel like I'm starving. It depends on WHAT you eat. Typically I have a protein shake in the morning that's 300 calories, lunch is around 400 calories and is usually 5-6 oz of chicken breast in a salad (with whatever veggies you prefer to add) and I make my own dressing of like 1 tsp olive oil and 1-2 tbsp of balsamic vinegrette or something like that. In the afternoon, about a 200 calorie snack that again has some protein (so like a greek yogurt and a bit of banana with almond butter or something), and then for dinner again something around 400 calories like... again 5-6 oz of chicken or something stir fried with bell peppers and tons of other veggies and a bit of olive oil. As you can see, that's a lot of protein.. and carbs from fruit and veggies. Not to say you can't fit some bread type carbs in too though (like a small tortilla, slice of bread). A day like that and I can't say I'm super hungry. Again, that would be a day I didn't work out. I work out most days... and I know I wouldn't like to eat like that every day but I would also hate not working out almost everyday.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'm 5'3.5 " 119 lbs and lose 1 lb a week netting around 1650-1700.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says they are getting along fine eating 1200 cals a day and weighs over 120lbs is a liar and should not be trusted.

And I'll add to that list, anyone over 120 pounds and says "HALP! I'm so full, I can't eat all my 1200 calories!" Cry me a f*cking river and eat some ice cream.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options

Hah. Love this. I do eat 1200 and less and I 'get along fine' but I was used to eating once a day and drinking all my calories in the form of delicious lattes before MFP and trying to be healthier. I think it's more what KIND of calories you eat on 1200 that makes the difference.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1200, but it is so difficult to do that. I do a few things. First of all, I go for a range between 1200 and 1300. As long as I'm in that range, it's all good. It's nice to have some wiggle room. Second, I eat a lot of veggies. Low calories and fill you up. I try to get 4 to 5 servings in. Calories aren't the only reason I do this since I am trying to get good nutrition from them as well, but it is nice to have a low calorie side with meals. Especially since I have a high protein goal and a lot of those foods can be high in calories. Extra bonus on that is I've learned so many ways to cook veggies. They're a lot more versatile that I thought! Third, I workout. Again, this isn't just for calories, but it is nice to get a good burn and have those extra calories to eat more!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do around 1200 most days, but I'm 4'11" and have a small frame. I do it by eating a lot of fruit and vegetables. I barely eat dairy. No soda, ever.. Not even in cocktails. I don't have mayo, chips, sugary cereals, or even pasta or bread in my house. I certainly have my days when I go over. I'm not quite ready to eat salad during the Super Bowl and I sometimes get a craving for lasagna or Salisbury steak and I go out and buy a michelinas.

I only recently got on this site, but my food diary is open if you need low cal, nutritious snack ideas. If you are taller than me, you prolly need to eat more than I do though.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much you have to lose. My daily goal is 1300, and I regularly eat between 1200 and 1300 a day. On days when I do more than 45 minutes of cardio and have a large calorie burn I eat more calories. I have a lot to lose, and my body can make up the deficit from fat. I eat a lot of protein a day (100g+ most days) and do strength training 2-3 times per week to help retain muscle. While I am usually hungry at meal time, I rarely find myself 'starving.' I also have frequent small meals and snacks. I am Type 2 diabetic and the frequent small meals helps keep my blood sugar steady.

That calorie range won't work for everyone. If you are hungry at 1200 calories, that is your body telling you that you are not getting enough fuel. Eat more.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

And I'll add to that list, anyone over 120 pounds and says "HALP! I'm so full, I can't eat all my 1200 calories!" Cry me a f*cking river and eat some ice cream.

Mmmmmm ice cream :love:
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 net (I aim for 1360 a day then burn 160 with exercise). You can look at my diary to see how I do it. I don't feel hungry most days, I try to eat three meals and snacks every two hours.

Basically, I cut out empty calories that don't fill you up or are of no nutrtitional value like juice, pop, sugared coffees, chips, cookies, etc. I upped my protein and fat intake a ton which keeps you fuller for longer and cut back on carbs and sugar.

An example of my typical day would be:

Breakfast - green smoothie (4 cups kale or spinach, 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup frozen fruit) - 180 calories
    Mid-morning snack - apple and Greek yogurt - 170 calories
    Lunch - High-protein, high-fat, no carbs - Something like salmon with brocolli or chicken and asparagus - 300 calories
    Afternoon snack - two pieces of cheese - 100 calories
    Dinner - Same as lunch (usually I'll just cook them the night before and then eat the same thing) - High-protein, high fat - 300 calories
    Evening snack - half an avocado (lots of good fat) - 120 calories
    Snack before bed - Greek yogurt with honey and 10 rasberries - 110 calories

That's 1280 calories, so I still have 80 extra to eat something else, or save it for later in the week on a day where I might go over.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1,200 calories, eating more if I exercise. But I just don't know how anyone can do it and feel full!

Look at it this way...........1200 calories net is as low as MFP will go.......not a statement about what is right or wrong for your height & weight.

1200 is just the quickest way to lose weight. However............quick is not necessarily healthy. If weight loss is too fast for you (height, weight, etc) .....then you will likley lose fat+muscle....as opposed to mostly fat.

Find out if 1200 is a good number for you by finding your BMR.............http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Hah. Love this. I do eat 1200 and less and I 'get along fine' but I was used to eating once a day and drinking all my calories in the form of delicious lattes before MFP and trying to be healthier. I think it's more what KIND of calories you eat on 1200 that makes the difference.

Net cals or reg cals? Definitely the quality of calories makes a difference! But honestly, unless one is of low height/weight or some other unnamed medical issue.. 1200 calories before net is not realistic for fat loss and muscle gain goals. Often people trying to lose weight really just want to lose fat but don't understand how to do it properly (let alone are out of tune with their body). Kudos to those who can do it but I think it's just a fad as I have not met a single person online or offline of average stats who has ever kept up with 1200 cals everyday for life (or actually kept weight off).
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I'm under 120lb and I can't do bellow 1600!