BMR question

Options
Okay ... so I just clicked on my BMR and it says this:

Your estimated BMR is: 1,485 calories/day

Does that mean I need to up my 1200 calories a day?

So confused :(

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Okay ... so I just clicked on my BMR and it says this:

Your estimated BMR is: 1,485 calories/day

Does that mean I need to up my 1200 calories a day?

So confused :(

Are you happy with your 1200 calories per day? If so, stick with it, your BMR did say "estimated" which is exactly what it is, just an estimation :)
  • aliceofwonderland
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you need to eat LESS than what you are burning daily through normal activities (your maintenance calories), causing a deficit. In order to lose one pound a week, you need a deficit of at least 3500. To lose 2, you need a deficit of 7000, etc.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you should eat at least your BMR... but I am no where near there yet so I am not sure! I'd say if you are happy at 1200 and still losing weight, stay there. If you get to a plateau, up your calories and see if that helps.

I have to say as a shortie (5'1"), I am jealous! When I get to the point of having only 15 pounds to lose, my BMR is 1290! And that is just to get to a normal BMI.
  • Lisatru62
    Options
    Your BMR is only around 1400 because this is the bare minimum to sustain life. If you were to lie in bed all day and do absolutely nothing you would need this minimum to keep you alive. Of course we all don't lie in bed all day (sounds good though). We move about and even exercise. Your actual caloric needs are probably higher than the minimum by quite a bit and if you exercise vigorously every other day, you will need even more.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have only been on the site for 12 days. When I started I was 180 and at that time it estimated that I needed 1200 calories/day to lose 2lbs/wk. I work out at least 5 days a week and I only log my cardio (but I do some weight training and ab work as well). So far I have had my calories (with exercise) around 1700/day depending on the day. I have lost 5lbs in 12 days but I realize that most of that is likely water weight and also I quit drinking alcohol completely.

I guess I will stay at the 1200 for the time being and see if that works, if I plateau, I will up the calories to the 1400 for my base. Thanks all for replying. I am still wrapping my head around this whole calorie count thing. I KNOW I didn't eat enough calories before (thinking less food = losing weight) and I KNOW I didn't drink enough water. I suspect once my body get's accustomed to all this I WILL Plateau and then I will need to adjust to shock my metabolism. Good to know I have a couple hundred extra calories I can go to without blowing my BMR.

xox you guys are the greatest!