Stepcounting.

Options
Hey guys, i got a question.

I downloaded a stepcounter app on my phone and i used it today at work. You can connect it to myfitnesspal and it will count the calories burned. So my question is: is it smart doing that? i have started walking around at work alot, and the step counter just motivated me more to get up from the chair and walk. It told me i had burned this and that much calories, will it count as a workout?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, i got a question.

I downloaded a stepcounter app on my phone and i used it today at work. You can connect it to myfitnesspal and it will count the calories burned. So my question is: is it smart doing that? i have started walking around at work alot, and the step counter just motivated me more to get up from the chair and walk. It told me i had burned this and that much calories, will it count as a workout?

It's really hard to log this as exercise & get an accurate calorie burn. Walking very quickly will burn more calories than walking slowly. You could use an average speed of "slow....or liesurely" ....but MFP estimates tend to be fairly high.

You might up your activity level from sedentary (or lightly active) to something higher.....that would give you more calories. Here are ranges............

<5000 steps/day may be used as a sedentary lifestyle
    5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity might be considered low active
    7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities considered somewhat active
    10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active
    >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active