Have I got this right?

Options
My BMR is 1319 and my TDEE 1814. If i want to lose a pound a week I should be looking at reducing daily calories by 500 ( 7 x500 =3500). So my daily calorie intake should be 1314 which is below my BMR. Have I got this right?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your math is right, assuming that your BMR and TDEE estimates are correct.

Honestly, 2 calories below your BMR estimate is nothing to worry about. That's within the margin of error for what you're actually burning vs. what you're actually eating.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    If you're following TDEE method then you should be aiming for reducing calories as a percentage of your total TDEE. Based on your figures, TDEE minus 20% is about 1450 calories which should allow you to lose about a pound a week.
  • sophiej43kitty
    Options
    The reason i posted this was I thought you weren't supposed to go below your BMR because then your body goes into starvation mode and you don't lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The reason i posted this was I thought you weren't supposed to go below your BMR because then your body goes into starvation mode and you don't lose weight.

yes but you're on about 2 calories... 2!

anyway, you should take 20% off your TDEE
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You have to be below BMR for a while to go into starvation mode but I would stick to around 1450 too...that's just me though.
  • chandra2802
    chandra2802 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have posted this same question.. and what i have seen.. is that those calculations are educated guesses. I am currently eating below my bmr. All depends on activity levels, your starting weight your bmi body fat everything plays a part in your weight loss. The numbers you get from the calculators are starting points. Listen to your body. If your hungry, i mean actually hungry the up your calories by 100 or so and see how you feel. If you read most post on here then you will see its a numbers game. Every body is different.