A1C just came back at 10.1-gotta get this down without meds!

Options
blaja5
blaja5 Posts: 6 Member
Any suggestions on how to decrease my A1C without adding more medication. Currently taking Glyb/Metformin. Hate it!

Replies

• osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Dropped mine to normal in 3 months with stationary bike cardio for 45 minutes 6 days a week, and eating less.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor had you consult with a nutrition counselor yet? If not, ask him/her to do so.

Good luck to you!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

The Newcastle study contends that losing fat (in liver and pancreas) can reverse diabetes. Has worked for me. I started out on 2000 mg of metformin daily and BG similar to yours. After losing 10% of body weight my HbA1C was much improved and got the green light from my GP to start experimenting with reducing metformin. Got down to a single 500 mg tablet every other day, while keeping my HbA1C are 4.9. Was told to stop medicating altogether a few months ago.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with a nutritionist.

Diets that focus on lean proteins, veggies and healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, avocados) with limited whole grains and fruits have been shown to have the best longevity (people stick to them at a higher rate than other diets), as well as the most consistent results for diabetics.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    The best ways are to eat a low-carb diet (30-45g carbs for meals, 15-20 for snack), exercise (at least 30 minutes a day), and lose weight.

I am a type 1 and found that losing weight and eating a low carb diet increased my insulin sensitivity and allowed me to take less mealtime insulin.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I concur with the other posters. Ask to meet with a dietician as soon as possible. They can help you develop a meal plan.

Protein, non-starchy veggies, lower fat dairy and healthy fats are important. For carbs, focus on complex carbs such as whole grains, while reducing simple ones. You can change the mfp macros for carbs to help you track them better.

For the carbs you do eat, you want to spread them out evenly throughout the day to create less blood sugar spike. Having some protein with your carbs slows digestion and helps reduce spikes as well. Be careful with fruits, as some are quite high in carbs even though one would consider them a healthy option.
  • Oakspmo
    Options
    Good luck! Great advise.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think everyone else's advice is very good.

I wanted to add: Pay close attention how your body reacts to foods. You want to keep your blood sugar even, right? So watch what foods cause it to go up and down dramatically. Try to eat those foods less frequently.

If you see a nutritionist or dietician, take notes. Then get on the internet and do your own research. Go back to the nutritionist or dietician with questions. Not all nutritionists or dieticians are created equal. Some are real duds or are inept at good explanations. Ask hard questions and educate yourself.

Pay attention to carbohydrates. They are not equal. Eating whole foods is important. Just because the box says "whole grains" or "wheat" does NOT mean that the food is good for you. My grandmother drove me crazy eating brown Wonder bread because it said "wheat" on the package. No surprise that she never got her diabetes under control. Educate yourself and you'll be able to make much easier and healthier decisions.
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition with consistent exercise will help. Try googling "diabetic diet" or "diabetic meal plan" -Mayo Clinic and Diabetes.org have great resources. Try to reduction/cut out refined sugar, processed food, and simple carbs. Focus on whole food, lean meat, eggs, poultry, vegetables, and fruit.