5'2" exercise help

Options
Hi my name is Ashley and I've been on my journey for about a year. I have lost 104 pounds so far and still have a little over 50 to go. I unfortunately carry all of my weight in my stomach and feel like it's never going to go down. I eat about 850 calories a day and then burn about 3-350 per day at the gym I usually go 4-5 days a week. Can someone maybe share tips with me that they use(d) that "targeted" their stomach.

Replies

• ekd23
    ekd23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I'm 5'2" also! I think it is possible that maybe your stomach is holding on to weight is because you should up your caloric intake a bit. I'm not sure though. Either way following for inspiration from other shorties! :)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    We short women have short torsos. Combined with the fact that most women retain fat in their stomach, and we have an especially hard time getting a trim waistline.

My only recommendation is cardio, and lift heavy weights to reduce your BF %.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Please stop starving yourself. You should be netting no less than 1,200 calories per day, after taking into account calories burned.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Please stop starving yourself. You should be netting no less than 1,200 calories per day, after taking into account calories burned.

This.

And try lifting heavy.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Ashley and I've been on my journey for about a year. I have lost 104 pounds so far and still have a little over 50 to go. I unfortunately carry all of my weight in my stomach and feel like it's never going to go down. I eat about 850 calories a day and then burn about 3-350 per day at the gym I usually go 4-5 days a week. Can someone maybe share tips with me that they use(d) that "targeted" their stomach.

If you only eat 850 calories a day and burn 300-350 at the gym, you are "functioning" on 500-550 calories a day. That is nowhere near enough for your body to get the fuel it needs to function. To use an analogy, you're trying to drive from Los Angeles to New York on half a tank of gas. You need to feed your body properly. Google BMR and TDEE and start learning what they mean.

And you can't "target" your stomach. There is no way to spot reduce.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello! Congrats on your weight loss so far, that is awesome :flowerforyou: However, I do agree with some of the other comments that if you are only eating 850 cals a day, and working out on those days, its not nearly enough calories, even for us short ladies. I'm 5'2.5" and I eat at least 1300-1800 a day, depending on workout schedule. But keep at it, I totally understand.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Food:
    1. Calculate your MBR http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/bmr-calculator.html
    2. Do not eat much if anything less than that. My MBR for example is 1396, I need to eat 1600-1700 to maintain weight , when I am trying to lose weight I try to get between 1400-1500 calories a day. The under and 1200 was too few and I was not losing weight.
    Excericse:
    1. Can you walk? If so I recommend 30-45 min on a treadmill starting at 5-6 incline and continue working your way up until you are doing 45 min at over 10 incline. This will burn ALOT of calories.
    2. Weights - Big scary weight room weights. Ask someone to show you, its not too bad I promise.

Feel free to friend me
    I am also 5'2"
  • TiffanyEst85
    TiffanyEst85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with the peeps above me. You need more calories to build/repair muscles. Muscles burn calories so don't worry about the intake being so low... you NEED calories. Calories=Units of energy! I am 5'3 and am on the homestretch of my health journey. I would also like to add that doing an entire workout "targeting" your tummy isn't going to do much but exhaust those muscles and possibly even weaken your lower back. If you work your entire body, the calories you burn (as long as you are working hard enough for long enough) will be burning fat. If you happen to carry majority of your fat in your tummy area... it will eventually start to burn off. Just give your body the fuel it needs, work hard and eat right (read:veggies, protein and a treat or two here and there) and you will accomplish what you want!
  • Greytfish
    Options

This.

And try lifting heavy.

This.

And there's no such thing as "targeting" fat loss.