How to cut sodium?

Options
I'm trying to cut my sodium intake. Take lunch for example, two slices of bread and low-sodium turkey breast and you are over 500mg in a second. Any ideas?

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Eat real turkey instead of processed lunch meat. I've been through this with my husband, he has high blood pressure. I try to help him every way possible to keep his sodium level low. Don't eat instant oatmeal either get the kind you have to cook. Good luck, it's a struggle at first but you'll get the hang of it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, they are loaded with sodium and sugar.
    Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, lean meats (be aware that frozen boneless chicken breasts have added sodium), whole grains, beans (avoid canned if not possible get low sodium and rinse well). The more you cook from scratch the more control you have over added sodium.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, they are loaded with sodium and sugar.
    Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, lean meats (be aware that frozen boneless chicken breasts have added sodium), whole grains, beans (avoid canned if not possible get low sodium and rinse well). The more you cook from scratch the more control you have over added sodium.

This is pretty much what I did as well
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Most days I am under in sodium - between Jan 19 and today I had 5 days over - feel free to look at my diary if it helps. I would just watch the foods you are eating - if I stay away from processed stuff I am usually not over. I don't normally watch the sodium intake unless it goes way over.

edit - 3 days that jumped out at me for high sodium I ate Swedish Meatballs - My homemade pasta sauce made with italian sausage - homemade soup (I didn't use a low sodium broth)
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Eat turkey, not lunchmeat turkey. If it's cured, it's going to be higher insodium. Although, most turkey is also treated with a saline solution, so unless you get a kosher one it will have some added salt.

With chicken, sometimes they are "enhanced" and sometimes not. Natural chicken should have 80-100 mgs of sodium per portion.
  • treciaflowers73
    Options
    Try to stay away from all processed food. That means anything caned or preserved with additives. Try preparing/cooking/baking all your food, and prepare all your lunches . You may want to switch up with your bread and make lettuce wraps instead. Try alternatives to Mayo as well. Good Luck!
  • sandramary68
    Options
    I love sprinkling salt on my food and so I mix up a batch of Japanese sesame salt (Gomasio) I don't know if you've heard of it. It's quite handy if you've got a coffee grinder and you basically grind 15 parts toasted sesame seeds to 1 part salt and grind it all together then just stick it in your salt shaker. Sometimes I make a stronger version like 10:1. Here is a link of how to do it.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Gomasio

Good luck.
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I find canned soups to be the worst. A single can of Campbell's Vegetable soup can have close to 2000mg.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from anything that comes from a bag, box or can. With the exception of frozen veggies.
  • bigcatcher
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.