Not progessing fast enough!

2»

Replies

• wait....you are breastfeeding?

so you can't lift 9 pounds seven times but you can lift a baby?

how much does your baby weigh?

I take it you lift it more than seven times a day.

plus are these dumbells?

or weight on a bar?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I feel like maybe I'm reading your post wrong.... In 7 months, you've gone from being able to lift 1.1kg (2.4 pounds) to 4.5kg (9.9 pounds), and you can only do 3-7 reps for each exercise? Is this right?

If so, that is a 400% increase in weight being lifted. That doesn't sound too bad to me. That said, I can only assume you are not really "pushing" yourself, a lot of peoples purses weigh that much and can carry them around for hours
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I've been told you can't build significant muscle on a calorie deficit? Could this be part of the issue? Also heard great things about stronglifts 5 x5 as far as progress. Google that formula to find out how many grams of protein daily you need per kg of body weight to build muscle. It's out there somewhere. Best of luck.

It's true that you can't build huge amounts of muscle on a deficit, although a newbie will gain some. But you can gain considerable strength on a deficit. Strength and mass aren't necessarily the same.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    I've been told you can't build significant muscle on a calorie deficit? Could this be part of the issue? Also heard great things about stronglifts 5 x5 as far as progress. Google that formula to find out how many grams of protein daily you need per kg of body weight to build muscle. It's out there somewhere. Best of luck.
    You can gain muscle strenght on a calorie deficit.
    You can not grow muscle mass on a calorie deficit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Thank you for this post OP, it is very interesting to me and I'm lurking it and appreciate you bringing it up even though at this time I have nothing to add to the discussion.

(also I really like your avatar and wish I'd see signs like that posted EVERYWHERE I go!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    What program are you doing? Some are designed for faster progression than others. I'd recommend Strong Lifts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Im not following a specific program but my workouts do include 2 types of squat, stiff legged deadlifts and lunges. To be honest I dont know what the other lifts are called but I got most of them from the NROLFW book, and some from jillian michaels workouts.
    Part of the reason I get good results for my clients is that I challenge them to weight resistance they never thought they could do. Last night I had one of my female clients doing one arm rows with a 45lb dumbell 5x5 (it was her strength day and also has a condition day). Now how many females would really attempt that weight? She did it and now KNOWS that it can be done again if I asked her to do it.
    Sometimes there's a mental block about how much or how strong one really is. Bump the weights. You may surprise yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Thankyou everyone for your input. By the sounds of it I may need to push myself a little harder. Is it normal to be able to lift more on some moves than you can others? I think I could definately deadlift more and maybe squat a bit more as I do have a 20lb toddler. I can't lift more than the 4.5kg for some of the ab and arm lifts so I assumed I should wait to increase my weights until my arms etc had caught up? I heard this advice from a bodybuilding site so thought it was legit...

I am eating 2000 cals a day, 80-100g of protein and always eat back my exercise calories. Whilst my toddler is breastfeeding its only a very short morning and bedtime feed so doubt it could be taking that many calories from me.
  • lemur_lady
    Thank you for this post OP, it is very interesting to me and I'm lurking it and appreciate you bringing it up even though at this time I have nothing to add to the discussion.

(also I really like your avatar and wish I'd see signs like that posted EVERYWHERE I go!)

Haha thanks! I kinda stole it from the badass breastfeeder, I thought it was awesome :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Thankyou everyone for your input. By the sounds of it I may need to push myself a little harder. Is it normal to be able to lift more on some moves than you can others? I think I could definately deadlift more and maybe squat a bit more as I do have a 20lb toddler. I can't lift more than the 4.5kg for some of the ab and arm lifts so I assumed I should wait to increase my weights until my arms etc had caught up? I heard this advice from a bodybuilding site so thought it was legit...

I am eating 2000 cals a day, 80-100g of protein and always eat back my exercise calories. Whilst my toddler is breastfeeding its only a very short morning and bedtime feed so doubt it could be taking that many calories from me.

You should be increasing the weights on a lift by lift basis.

You should be able to squat a tonne more than you can curl. You should start progressing your squat and deadlift immediately. You arms will never "catch up" with your legs or your back. They are not designed to move as much weight...

A well designed beginners programme would save you from this, I think.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics

It's normal to have much higher deadlift and squat numbers. And women tend to have less upper body strength so you'll be waiting forever if you hold up your deadlift waiting for your bench to catch up.

Here are my numbers (for reps) just for comparison, I've been lifting about 10 months and I weigh 125 lbs.

Deadlift: 160
    Squat: 120
    Bench: 80
    OHP: 70
    Pendlay Rows: 65
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Every exercise will have different weight. Of course your big muscles in your legs can lift more than your smaller arm muscles. Dead lifts and squats should be a much higher weight than a triceps or shoulder press. You keep records and add on each week as you can. You can't use the same weights throughout your whole workout
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Also I agree with the advice to follow a program. It will tell you exactly how to progress.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    You've gotten the advice you need, but I just want to emphasize that you need to make sure you don't sell yourself short. You are a lot stronger than you think. When people start lifting weights, they may find that squatting, say 20 pounds, is tough. If you were doing 5x5, those last few reps may seem hard. So, the next time you go in to work out, you think, I can't do 22.5 or 25 this time because 20 was so hard last time. But, guess what? If you try it, you will probably be surprised to find out you can do the increased weight. The last few reps may be hard, but you did them. Your body is adapting. The next time you workout, you probably can add more weight even though you may think you can't. You'll be able to see these types of linear increases for a while as a beginner. Each increase in weight may seem hard every single time, but that's okay. Just keep on trucking.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Oh, absolutely you should be do more weights on some of the lifts. I can deadlift 200lbs but triceps extensions are only 15lbs. HUGE difference.

Maybe you should look into reading New Rules of Weight Lifting from Women. It touches on this subject.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    typically lifts go heaviest to lightest in the following
    dead lift
    squat
    bench
    over head press

then all isolation smaller weights typically (esp for women) under that.

if your squat is higher than your dead- you may be an anomaly (like fred hatfield) or there is a technique or mental issue going on.
  • lemur_lady
    You've gotten the advice you need, but I just want to emphasize that you need to make sure you don't sell yourself short. You are a lot stronger than you think. When people start lifting weights, they may find that squatting, say 20 pounds, is tough. If you were doing 5x5, those last few reps may seem hard. So, the next time you go in to work out, you think, I can't do 22.5 or 25 this time because 20 was so hard last time. But, guess what? If you try it, you will probably be surprised to find out you can do the increased weight. The last few reps may be hard, but you did them. Your body is adapting. The next time you workout, you probably can add more weight even though you may think you can't. You'll be able to see these types of linear increases for a while as a beginner. Each increase in weight may seem hard every single time, but that's okay. Just keep on trucking.

Thanks! Thats really helpful :)

Once I have a bit more money available I might look into getting a barbell with plates. I assume this is a step in the right direction?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member

Thanks! Thats really helpful :)

Once I have a bit more money available I might look into getting a barbell with plates. I assume this is a step in the right direction?

You will need heavier weights for squats and deadlifts. I found a bar and plates at a yard sale for $20.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    OP, you are awesome! The positive attitude you have is very inspirational. And the MFP crew seems to have maintained a helpful attitude and is helping a lot. I like this thread. Some threads like this get off the rails and end up with some silly argument between two pundits with opposing views.
  • lemur_lady
    OP, you are awesome! The positive attitude you have is very inspirational. And the MFP crew seems to have maintained a helpful attitude and is helping a lot. I like this thread. Some threads like this get off the rails and end up with some silly argument between two pundits with opposing views.

Aw thank you :)

I was kinda worried I might have some people pointing their digital fingers and jeer at me but thankfully I have recieved some great advice. Glad I asked for help and didnt keep plodding along doing what I was doing :)