serious weight fluctuation questions

Options
So, my weight fluctuates a lot. I always weigh in the morning and naked. Always. After my first pee. Most accurate time so I've heard.

However, my weight, day to day, can fluctuate by 10lbs. I've heard 2-3 is normal and 5 is pushing it. Should I be concerned about a 10lb fluctuation. Up and down and I can never tell if I've genuinely lost weight.

?????

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Just weigh in once a week. Don't use the scale as the only measurement of success. Take all your measurements including your body fat percentage. Take pictures in a bathing suit or tight work out clothes. These are not for publishing, but for your peace of mind. The scale has so many things that effect it, that I wouldn't put alot of stock in what it says. For example, if you are working out with weights and trying to tone your body, you will gain muscle. A pound is a pound, but muscle take up less space. Your measurement will improve and your clothes will be looser, but the scale may stay the same or even go up.

Don't only trust your scale.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I will weight 4-8 lbs more at the end of the day than the morning. Its normal.
  • rlzwakenberg
    rlzwakenberg Posts: 64 Member
    Options

But what I'm saying is I'm not weighing throughout the day. We're talking 257lbs at 6:00am one day and 242lbs the next day at 6:00am. I know through the day food and water can weigh you down. That's why I only weigh in the mornings.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

But what I'm saying is I'm not weighing throughout the day. We're talking 257lbs at 6:00am one day and 242lbs the next day at 6:00am. I know through the day food and water can weigh you down. That's why I only weigh in the mornings.

The day before a higher number are you eating a lot more sodium? Is there some other food you have the day before that you could cause water retention?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Is your scale on the same surface everyday? You will weigh differently on a hard suface than you will if your scale is on a carpet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have you double-checked that your scale is calibrated properly?
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options

The day before a higher number are you eating a lot more sodium? Is there some other food you have the day before that you could cause water retention?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I've been trying to get used to jsut counting calories before I add in macro counting as well. It's a little over whelming.
    Would water weight account for that level of fluctuation?
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    Is your scale on the same surface everyday? You will weigh differently on a hard suface than you will if your scale is on a carpet.

Yes same exact spot everyday. And I've weighed myself 4 times in a row and got consistent results, so I assume it's calibrated fine. Even had my fiancee do the same thing and he gets the correct numbers as well.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I agree that looking only to the scale for progress isn't the best approach - there are plenty of non-scale indicators, too.

However, I disagree that one should only weigh in once per week or some other arbitrary metric that is right for everyone. I think what works will depend on how you react to the scale. I personally like to weigh in every day -- seeing how wildly my weight can fluctuate day to day lessened its impact when I was starting out -- now I don't have much more than a wry smile when I see 4 lbs gone or 4lbs added overnight. For others, seeing those fluctuations is heartbreaking and adds much more stress on a daily basis.

Maybe experiment with everyday, then once a week, then at random days? Find what works for you if the daily fluctuations are causing unneeded stress or distractions.

As for 10 lb fluctuations -- seems high, but I know women often experience greater swings. Still seems high, but I am not sure I'd be "worried" per se. Are you drinking a fair bit of alcohol and getting really dehydrated some days? Or really wildly different sodium intake levels day to day? That much movement really has to be tied to water weight shed and gained, I would think.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    We're talking 257lbs at 6:00am one day and 242lbs the next day at 6:00am.

15 lbs? That seems pretty extreme. That's almost 6% of your body weight in 24 hours. Seems extreme to me but I am no expert by any stretch. Wish I had more to offer. :flowerforyou:
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    We're talking 257lbs at 6:00am one day and 242lbs the next day at 6:00am.

15 lbs? That seems pretty extreme. That's almost 6% of your body weight in 24 hours. Seems extreme to me but I am no expert by any stretch. Wish I had more to offer. :flowerforyou:

That level of change only happened once. it's usually 10lbs or under. But it does fluctuate a good bit
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    How long has the scale been fluctuating like this? I don't have any reason behind it, because that's a lot even for water weight, and it couldn't possibly be fat at that rate.

Try having your husband weigh himself for a couple days (rather than just the once), if this seems to be an everyday occurrence. If it's both of you, there's something wrong with your scale.
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    How long has the scale been fluctuating like this? I don't have any reason behind it, because that's a lot even for water weight, and it couldn't possibly be fat at that rate.

Try having your husband weigh himself for a couple days (rather than just the once), if this seems to be an everyday occurrence. If it's both of you, there's something wrong with your scale.

It's a brand new scale. Only a few months old. My weight fluctuates like this and did even with my old scale. I really don't think it's the scale itself. Could be though, I don't know.
  • wnlbutterfly
    wnlbutterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that much difference could be either the scale needs new batteries or perhaps replaced. I have certain foods even if they are in my calorie limit for the day will give me a uptick on the scale due to sodium and water retention...every time.

I agree with the good advice to use more than just the scale to measure and track your success. =)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the answers so forgive me if I am repeating anything. What kind of scale do you have? Could be defective, need batteries etc. Also, be sure if you are going to weigh every morning put the scale in the exact same place.

I do however advise against weighing every day, that shish will make you crazy. Also, rely more on how you feel, how your clothes fit, progress pictures, and measurements before a number on a scale (that sounds as if it may be posessed btw :wink: )

Hope this helps you in some way, have a swell afternoon!:flowerforyou:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

It's a brand new scale. Only a few months old. My weight fluctuates like this and did even with my old scale. I really don't think it's the scale itself. Could be though, I don't know.

Just caught this, if it is only a few months old maybe look into if it has a warranty. Cause this does not seem right at all. LOL! Noticed that your S/O has helped you try to calibrate it. Maybe have him weigh in every day at the exact same time as you and see if it fluctuates for him. IDK, this has me stumped. Not that I pretend to know it all or anything, just seems a bit extreme.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Sleep, stress, water, exercise, hormones, salt, carbs, all can affect your weight.

Make yourself an Excel spreadsheet and track your weight. Or use the Reports here. Weight loss is NOT linear for anyone. Just keep doing the right things most of the time, and believe.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sleep, stress, water, exercise, hormones, salt, carbs, all can affect your weight.

yep all of the above was what I was going to say ^^

The time of the month can impact on your weight too - track the number and you may see a pattern emerge. I am always lighter two days before TOM.
    Things that have made me weigh heavier in the past - too much sodium, sunburn (random but my entire legs were burned to a crisp!), heat wave, DOMS
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

yep all of the above was what I was going to say ^^

The time of the month can impact on your weight too - track the number and you may see a pattern emerge. I am always lighter two days before TOM.
    Things that have made me weigh heavier in the past - too much sodium, sunburn (random but my entire legs were burned to a crisp!), heat wave, DOMS

yup. Any illness that involves inflammation or infection will lead to water gains. The body retains fluid to aid healing.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates bet. 2 to 5 lbs. not including after a re feed. I do weigh myself everyday and then average it after every two weeks to see if my adjustment for that fortnight did some fat burning or not. I agree with using the reports on here to see your weight graph, it will show you how your weight gets affected depending on what you did that day. If it only happened once i wouldnt worry about it. Like others said plenty of things to measure progress, have your bodyfat percentage measured to see if your composition is changing, it could me muscle mass gain, it could be anything really, it wont be just fat gain though i doubt it.