• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You *could* work out too.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Uh, no.

It's not a good idea to hijack your body's water balance. Eat potassium rich foods and drink more water instead.

THIS.

Unless you are trying to dehydrate for a specific day (eg a weigh in before a fight/comp) there is no need to dehydrate yourself for the sake of a couple of pounds.

Just drink a little more water than normal for a couple of days and get plenty of leafy greens. Remember that your health is still the most important consideration in all this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

- Muscle cramps or weakness. You piss out the salt, but you also piss out the potassium...I have to consume mass quantities of potassium in my diet to make up for this.

How do you consume 'mass quantities of potassium'?

My mum takes diuretics for her blood pressure, and was talking about some of the side effects, I suggested she might need more potassium in her diet, and her friend who is a retired nurse agreed with me, but apart from leafy greens I wasn't sure what to suggest she eat to get more potassium.

- Potatoes...sweet or regular (skin on) on are excellent sources of potassium and are a dietary staple for me.
    - I drink 2x 5.5 oz of low sodium V8 daily...that alone gets me 1,400 Mg.
    - Tomato sauces in general are really good sources of potassium....pasta with a good marinara is often a side item at my dinner table (sauces and pastes are better sources of potassium than raw tomatoes).
    - Green leafy vegetables...beet greens and chard are outstanding sources of potassium. White beans are another great source...kidney beans and lima beans are also up there as well as lentils and split peas...beans in general are pretty good for the old ticker.
    - Plain yogurt is another great source...I eat greek yogurt about 3x weekly.
    - Clams are also excellent...but I don't have them often as I live in the desert and decent clams have to be flown in and are expensive. Seafood in general is pretty respectable
    - Prunes...but I detest them
    - carrot juice
    - black strap molasses is an excellent source of potassium...I often use it in lieu of honey or other sweetners
    - winter squashes are pretty good
    - banana...everyone knows this one
    - coconut water...natures gatorade...is use it to replenish my electrolytes on longer rides to keep me from cramping and bonking.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What is your purpose for using these pills? If they haven't been prescribed to you by a doctor then I would say it is very unwise indeed.

This website has a good summary of potential risks: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-water-pills.htm
    Weight loss is a highly controversial use of water pills. Water is heavy and can contribute to a puffy or overweight appearance, so removing excess water is one way to shed pounds and look a little trimmer. Celebrities often use techniques to shed water weight before photo shoots and other events for this reason.

Using diuretics in this way is problematic for multiple reasons. They can create electrolyte imbalances because of how they affect sodium and potassium levels, which can cause problems such as muscle cramps and irregular heartbeat. Problems such as dizziness and fainting can happen if dehydration and a drop in blood pressure are too extreme. Lastly, the body naturally will try to replenish its supply of water once diuretic use ends, so weight loss under this method is not sustainable.

Psychologists and psychiatrists are especially concerned about the use of both water pills and laxatives in cases of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Even though these medications are not meant to be taken for an extremely long time even in cases of medical necessity, individuals suffering from these conditions use them over extended periods to keep weight as low as possible. Stopping the use often means working through intense mental and behavioral issues such as distorted body image.

ETA: As others have said, drinking water will help you stop retaining water and feeling bloated. The best part of water is that it's free and healthy!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What do you think about natural water pills for a person w/ no medical conditions but is feeling bloated and retaining water?

Not all the time but occasionally.

1 oz 100% cranberry juice mix with 7 ounces of water - makes you pi$$ all day, but gets rid of the water retention.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink Smart Water.....( I can hear the comments now) but it has all of the electrolytes such as gatorade with no artificial sugars or colors. I cannot digest bananas so I drink this, it works when I get leg cramps etc...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Brawndo.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

- Muscle cramps or weakness. You piss out the salt, but you also piss out the potassium...I have to consume mass quantities of potassium in my diet to make up for this.

How do you consume 'mass quantities of potassium'?

My mum takes diuretics for her blood pressure, and was talking about some of the side effects, I suggested she might need more potassium in her diet, and her friend who is a retired nurse agreed with me, but apart from leafy greens I wasn't sure what to suggest she eat to get more potassium.

bananas.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Unless your bloating is a real medical issue - in which case you would see a doctor, don't take anything.
    Your body is a balanced thing why screw with it. The cranberry juice sounds like a non harmful thing but hey - drink more water.
    I'm in my 50s and don't have any issues with bloating.
    My ankles swell on very long journeys occasionally - my body fixes that itself over the course of a few days.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    A natural water pill might mean something containing just natural ingredients instead of synthetic. Like maybe parsley in a powdered form which I bought just today! I also bought some parsley tea. It's WORKING!! I had really swollen ankles all through the holidays and I took the tea first and lots of water to help flush. I think I might just have hit on something!

Go to your health foods store and look for Parsley Tea. Let me know how it works for you!

Hmmmm I suspect it might have more to do with the bolded section of your comment.

Just drink more water op - stop looking for shortcuts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A natural water pill might mean something containing just natural ingredients instead of synthetic. Like maybe parsley in a powdered form which I bought just today! I also bought some parsley tea. It's WORKING!! I had really swollen ankles all through the holidays and I took the tea first and lots of water to help flush. I think I might just have hit on something!

Go to your health foods store and look for Parsley Tea. Let me know how it works for you!

Hmmmm I suspect it might have more to do with the bolded section of your comment.

Just drink more water op - stop looking for shortcuts.

I'm always amazed by the willingness of so many people to shell out cash for **** they don't need...I'm seriously in the wrong business....I could be rich I tell ya...rich....loaded...frackin' Daddy Warbucks baby.