Jiu Jitsu

Options
Do any of you do Jiu Jitsu?

Replies

• IronMikeFox
    Options
    I do submission grappling and MMA training. Not specifically jui jitsu, but same family! :wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Jiu Jitsu?

I do kempo Ju Jitsu

What style do you do?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I do submission grappling and MMA training. Not specifically jui jitsu, but same family! :wink:

Hey you're like a step brother.

How long have you been doing the mma?
  • poorbikrchick
    poorbikrchick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do many women do it, or is it mostly men?
  • IronMikeFox
    Options

Hey ... I don't know that I could even say how long. LOL ... I've kind of evolved into it. All total, I have been doing various forms of martial arts for about 26 years. The main style I do now, Kosen Judo, I have been doing for about 15 years. My instructor and I decided to take the gi's off about 7 years ago. LOL ... sorry for rambling!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'll be honest it's mainly men.

I think it's a genetic homo erotic thing.

Nothing beats rolling on the ground with another smelly sweaty man.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I called the only place in town to sign up for it. Got told I wouldn't like it since I'm a woman. I said I really thought I would. Got told no. So that was that.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I called the only place in town to sign up for it. Got told I wouldn't like it since I'm a woman. I said I really thought I would. Got told no. So that was that.

Sorry to hear that.

I oh wish there were more women in my class. If they've got that kind of attitude there probably not right for you.

Keep looking. Ju Jitsu is a good all round martial art. Regardless of what you're told no martial art offers the best of everything. Sometimes it a case of trying a few a picking the one that suits you best.

What are you looking to get from it?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Hey ... I don't know that I could even say how long. LOL ... I've kind of evolved into it. All total, I have been doing various forms of martial arts for about 26 years. The main style I do now, Kosen Judo, I have been doing for about 15 years. My instructor and I decided to take the gi's off about 7 years ago. LOL ... sorry for rambling!

Man you've ditched the gi's and gone street good for you.

I've been doing Kempo for 23 years. There's a lot of judo incorporated into it (along with a lot of dirty fighting) :happy:
  • poorbikrchick
    poorbikrchick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To me, it just looks like a lot of fun. I've been doing tae kwon do for about 10 years, and want to try something totally different.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I do bjj.

There are 4 girls in our class. They just roll with each other.

It's tough but great fun.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

Sorry to hear that.

I oh wish there were more women in my class. If they've got that kind of attitude there probably not right for you.

Keep looking. Ju Jitsu is a good all round martial art. Regardless of what you're told no martial art offers the best of everything. Sometimes it a case of trying a few a picking the one that suits you best.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go with them even if they let me, with that attitude.

I was just looking for good fighting, honestly :D That just really appeals to me, but not like boxing. The face is no fun (to me).
  • IronMikeFox
    Options

I've been doing Kempo for 23 years. There's a lot of judo incorporated into it (along with a lot of dirty fighting) :happy:

Thanks! Ditching the gi was the best thing I ever did for my training. I had become WAY to reliant on gi-chokes. When we took 'em off, it was a rude awakening. I felt like I was starting over again from scratch! But it wads totally worth it. It forced me to evolve as a martial artist when I had in reality probably been stagnant for way too long.

I have always been really interested in Kempo ever since I saw the Perfect Weapon! Unfortunately, the area I live is not a martial arts mecca by any stretch of the imagination! LOL
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Sorry to hear that.

I was just looking for good fighting, honestly :D That just really appeals to me, but not like boxing. The face is no fun (to me).

Have you looked at kick boxing. Good for fighting and great for fitness.

Ju Jitsu has both with the added fun of bouncing people off the floor (and getting bounced yourself).

Nothing beats a full speed body drop.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Thanks! Ditching the gi was the best thing I ever did for my training. I had become WAY to reliant on gi-chokes. When we took 'em off, it was a rude awakening. I felt like I was starting over again from scratch! But it wads totally worth it. It forced me to evolve as a martial artist when I had in reality probably been stagnant for way too long.

I have always been really interested in Kempo ever since I saw the Perfect Weapon! Unfortunately, the area I live is not a martial arts mecca by any stretch of the imagination! LOL

How many tea shirts did you rip?

The perfect weapon what a film (great opening - snap I've got the power).

Our style of Kempo is similar in strike rate but incorporates a lot more judo and grappling.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

Sorry to hear that.

Have you looked at kick boxing. Good for fighting and great for fitness.

Ju Jitsu has both with the added fun of bouncing people off the floor (and getting bounced yourself).

Nothing beats a full speed body drop.

The gym I'm checking out has that for free, so I am looking into it. Kicking is what I'm good at, so I wouldn't mind anything that has enough of that. The floor stuff just sounds so fun, though!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

My daughter does, she loves it (jui jitso and mma, that is). Only problem she had is they're not keen to show her some of the moves - I think it's an embarrassment thing as it's all guys. She trying to talk a buddy into going so she can do more.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    There's a Martial Arts/Sport Fighting group on here if you have any other martial arts questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/301-martial-arts-and-sport-fighting
  • IronMikeFox
    Options

Our style of Kempo is similar in strike rate but incorporates a lot more judo and grappling.

ha ha ha ... actually not as many as you would think! That opening scene of the perfect weapon had me hooked! It sounds like I would really like your style. I am really into using striking to get into grappling range. I hate when I see judo guys reaching out to grab when they are so far out of range! We call it the Frankenstein clinch.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

ha ha ha ... actually not as many as you would think! That opening scene of the perfect weapon had me hooked! It sounds like I would really like your style. I am really into using striking to get into grappling range. I hate when I see judo guys reaching out to grab when they are so far out of range! We call it the Frankenstein clinch.

I like that. We rely on the opponent making the first move to bridge the gap.

Our philosophy is you touch me you're mine.