My first ever 5k.

Options
A friend invited me to run/walk a RUN OR DYE 5k on July 19th. I am so excited and nervous about doing this. I have never done anything like this before and I'm not sure what I should be doing to get ready for it. I did start walking/jogging on Monday and today I decided I needed a rest day. I need motivation to stay on track and I need advice on what I need to do to get ready for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to add me to help motivate me.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    google search Hal Higdon 5k novice running; print out the program and follow the instructions, have fun, enjoy it! Oh, and congratulations.
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Well congrats on going for it first of all!! Second, a lot of people use the Couch25K app. You can download it on your phone for free for the first two weeks and then depending on which one it is its only a couple of bucks. Good luck!!
  • jhroper
    jhroper Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am training for the RUN OR DYE but on July 12th in Lake Stevens, WA. I am totally using the Couch 2 5K app and currently on week 4 of the 9 week series!! Working for me! Feel free to add me :) This will be my first 5K too. Every time I run, I visualize me crossing the 5K finish line!! After every run I put my arms in the air and do a little "We Are the Champions" moment :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Find a beginner plan and progress through it. Then don't worry about the Run or Dye 5k ... enjoy it. Those type events aren't races, they're fun run/walk/play in the color events. Run some, play around at a color station while you catch your breath, repeat .... take ridiculous pictures at the end.

Train up for it but don't stress about it. There are always full 5k runs without color stations for you to try after you complete this first one.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have tried the c25k app and I didn't get anywhere with it. So I started running half a mile for a week. And kept on adding a half a mile every week and before I new it I was running 3 miles.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Also, don't worry about having to take rest days off when you are starting off. Your legs will probably hurt like hell because they aren't used to the added pressure from running. Pushing through it can take you out for a longer term if it continues to get worse due to lack of rest.