Exercise after a total hip relacement besides walking!!!

Options
Hello,

Is there anything else I can do for exercise besides walking? Just want to get strong and get active!!

-Kim

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Try swimming! :)
  • Kimma34
    Kimma34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well I loooooove swimming but now it's too cold and I cannot afford going to the YMCA. I guess walking is it for me. Anybody like the Leslie Sansone DVD's???

-Kim
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Well I loooooove swimming but now it's too cold and I cannot afford going to the YMCA. I guess walking is it for me. Anybody like the Leslie Sansone DVD's???

-Kim

Just FYI: YMCAs offer financial assistance! But if that doesn't work, have you checked to see if local high schools with indoor pools have open swim periods?
  • Get a couple of low weight dumbbells and search for some upper body strength training exercises. If you can stand at all you can also do wall push ups. You can also count your therapy as exercise because I'm sure it isn't considered in your activity profile.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

-Kim

I Love Leslie, I have about 6 of her programs, some older some newer

And I just got my 60 yr old Mother A few Dvds now she is hooked,
  • dianka93
    Options
    The only thing I would say about Leslie is that she loves the side step. Not sure how that would work with the new hip. Your doctor didn't suggest any thing besides walking?
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    As someone who's really overweight and not capable of a lot of exercise yet, what I do as a way of easing into exercise is to exercise in bed before I get up each morning. I lay on my side and do gentle leg lifts, leg circles, ankle circles, bicycle movement... one leg at a time. Also do arm circles, stretching, etc. I'm sure it doesn't burn many calories but helps keep me limber and is good for the circulation.

Pretty soon I'm going to add in walking on the rebounder (mini trampoline) which not only cushions the impact of walking but supposedly is even better for your circulation than regular walking.

Becky
  • 3110cynthia
    Options
    i hd hip replaced in march - besides upper body exercises i would stick to what PT says is ok - ie if swimming is ok then do it - it might not be ok yet - has your scar healed - did it just happen - if so they'll show you exercises you can do - and be careful to do them correctly - you certainly don't want to screw up your hip by jumping into the exercise arena too early - ask a PT what you can and cannot do - mine had me lifting myself up by my ankles over and over and over - don't know what the benefit to that is - i'm sure it's very specicfic but after 20 or so it turns into a real workout and then they had me doing very small leg lifts and windshield wipers (keep legs on bed but move out to side and back) and squeeze thigh and let go and sqeeze again - after 20 of those you'll sure want a break - do same for buttocks - those are the kind of things they had me do - but surely they've got to tell you the exercises you can do at home - if they don't you need to find another PT - hope that helps