HOOPING CHALLENGE!

Options
2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am going to my sister in law's wedding in May, so no trips back to the Midwest, but it looks awesome! If I ever get good, I will get an LED hoop.

For the beginners, here is a video with a few ideas of what to do if you start getting good enough to get bored standing still and hooping. The first half of the video goes through some arm movements and steps to help you get used to moving with the hoop. Beware of the second half - off body work requires more space than your average apartment! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAyrTDOooos

I learned to today that I can't hoop at all after 30 day shred. I was back to spending a lot of time picking it up off the floor! :ohwell:
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Here's a group I started back in October for a 30/30 challenge but it kind of fizzled out. We can resurrect it though!!

Join the group and you can add me too!! I think I'm the friend from the OP who started the challenge ;-)

Happy hooping!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16984-30-30-hoop-challenge
  • peace_frog21
    Options
    And please please please be careful with those weighted hoops. It's just as beneficial to get a regular dance hoop and you don't have to worry about your core looking like you've been hung by your waist. Don't hoop over those bruises. And dance hoops are just more fun!! And here's the thing, while a weighted hoop is heavier it takes less movement to keep it up (because it is heavier) a lighter dance hoop is going to make you work harder to keep it going. It's like the difference in crunches and speed crunches :-)
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    And please please please be careful with those weighted hoops. It's just as beneficial to get a regular dance hoop and you don't have to worry about your core looking like you've been hung by your waist. Don't hoop over those bruises. And dance hoops are just more fun!! And here's the thing, while a weighted hoop is heavier it takes less movement to keep it up (because it is heavier) a lighter dance hoop is going to make you work harder to keep it going. It's like the difference in crunches and speed crunches :-)

Can you recommend a dance hoop? I got a weighted one for Christmas and while I can keep it up for long lengths of time, it always leaves me with massive bruises (like the size of my whole hand) that take forever to heal and hurt so bad. I'd love to get a less violent hoop but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Thanks!
  • concordancia
    Options
    I like hoopnotica, but you may also be able to find someone local. If you have friends who might be interested, consider a trip to a hardware store to have a hoop making party. (instructions available online). I actually got my first hoop because out of left over supplies from a hoop party.

I am not one of the pro's so they may be back with suggestions.
  • peace_frog21
    Options

Can you recommend a dance hoop? I got a weighted one for Christmas and while I can keep it up for long lengths of time, it always leaves me with massive bruises (like the size of my whole hand) that take forever to heal and hurt so bad. I'd love to get a less violent hoop but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Thanks!

Hi! Yes! Options 1) I make them and ship! 2) hoopnotica is a good one. But I also agree with checking locally (you can check on hoopcity.ca to see if you can find some locals. Or if you google you'll probably get a bunch of options. My friend Rebecca at HoopEssence makes great hoops as well and she's also on myfitnesspal. Whoever you order from can help you with sizing and you could still get a heavier hoop (it's based on the tubing used) but it's not like the 3-5lb ones. You can message me if you have more questions or add my hoop page if you're on Facebook Facebook.com/indigosolhoops
  • concordancia
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

For the weekend, I am using good old fashioned get it done techniques: I hoop before we go out for our weekend fun :)
  • mtns2010
    mtns2010 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. If it's ok, though, I'm just going to aim for 10 minutes a day for now, just due to time and other activities I want to fit in each day. I'll try to do 300 minutes of hooping in 30 days. It will be a great way to take a work-from-home computer break. Thanks for the idea and motivation, everyone! (That dance hoop has been sitting dusty for years -- maybe I'll learn how to use it!)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm in - been wanting to take my hula hoop out of the spare room for months. This is the shove I've been waiting for!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I am so happy to see some fellow hoopers here. Count me in!
  • concordancia
    Options
    In case you missed it, there is also a group where we post daily threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16984-30-30-hoop-challenge
  • madnat2810
    Options
    Well a few days in and my waist is sore/bruised but I am still continuing as I would like to manage 30 days and the thing is doing it while watching TV after work it goes so quick.
  • peace_frog21
    Options
    If you are using a weighted (3lb for example) hoop please be careful hooping over the bruises. You need to heal. And if you are using a weighted hoop, don't hoop for 30 minutes at a time. If it's over 2lbs, then it shouldn't be used for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

For bruising, I recommend getting some Arnica cream (you can find this at a place like Whole Foods, Earth Fare, or anywhere that sells alternative or homeopathic type medicines). It does wonders for bruises. Also take some anti-inflammatory meds and stick an ice pack on it if it's bad.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,389 Member
    Options
    Bump