I don't know what to do!!

Options
Hello everyone! I am asking for help on how to eat my calories. I have been trying to lose weight for about a month now and have lost about 15 pounds, which makes me happy, but I keep hearing about eating too few calories. I am 18 and around 5'9. I am a male and right now weigh about 219 from the 234 I used to be. The problem here is that I am only getting around 1200 calories a day and that's not even with the exercise I do which probably burns about 200 or 300 more. So I'm actually getting around 900 or 1000 a day. Now I'm not starving myself, because I eat every 2 to 3 hours and everything I eat is as nutritious as can be. I am afraid that if I up my calorie intake, i'm not going to lose any weight. On the other hand though, I also hear that if you increase you calories, you will get more energy and essentially burn more fat. So what would happen if I had around 1500-1700 calories a day instead of the 1200. And should i eat back my exercise calories? I'm very confused about this whole calorie thing! What will happen if i keep eating at this big of a calorie deficit? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight on 1500-1700 for sure and what you are eating now is very unhealthy. MFP was designed for you to eat back your exercise calories but if you are concerned just don't eat all of them back. If you want to keep eating as low as you are I suggest you discuss it with your doctor.
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I actually just started counting calories 2 weeks ago. 23, m, 5'7" and 174lbs, eating around 1700 calories and working out 6 days a week. Last week I lost 3 pounds, this week it's shaping up to be at least 2. So for me at least it's working. I'm eating around 80% paleo too, so that helps. Unfortunately I am no expert on this subject, and look forward to the responses you get here.

BUT!

You're already logging everything, which is fantastic news! This means you can make the change, and document the results, compare the data and decide for yourself what's more effective.

As for me, in my week 3, I'm thinking of changing my food ratio around because it seems to want an unrealistic amount of carbs but no protein or fats (still going to keep sugar on a short leash).
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I think what you are doing isn't sustainable -- eventually you will just be too hungry. Losing 15 pounds in a month is a lot, I think 8 to 10 pounds a month is better. Others will probably chime in, with more information. But my own experience is that extreme dieting doesn't work in the long run.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I vote that you up your calories! :) 1500 is actually supposed to be the minimum recommended for a male (1200 for a female). I would increase to at least 1500 AND eat exercise calories if I were you :) This WILL give you more energy to keep going and will make you less likely to give up. Plus you will still lose weight!! :) 1500, or even 1700 will still give you a major deficit.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1200 calories does not seem healthy, 1700 at least seems better.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I would first calculate my BMR and my TDEE. You will find tons of online calculators for this.

If you want to lose weight you should consume ABOVE your BMR and BELOW your TDEE. Anything below your BMR will hurt your body. I would add some but not all of your exercise calories.

If you go below your BMR your body will think you are in starvation and it will hang onto your fat cells.

Each time you lose weight you have to calculate your new BMR and TDEE numbers.

Hope this helps?
    Stef.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hiheel
    Options
    Hi. You have to eat little more, and exercise little more. Hope this helps:)
  • Axeman036
    Axeman036 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses!! I will up my calories and try my best to get around 1500-1700 a day. Now the only problem is knowing how to fill them up. Any suggestions??
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you should consume ABOVE your BMR and BELOW your TDEE. Anything below your BMR will hurt your body. I would add some but not all of your exercise calories.

Yep, do this! I like this calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    Add some more stuff like nuts, avocado or full fat milk for more calories
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Christ! OP, order a dang pizza and dip it in ice cream. My daily intake is DOUBLE what yours is. Ticker don't lie brother, you need to eat more.

Rigger
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For an active male, you should be eating a lot more, unless you want to lose a lot of weight from muscle mass. I am 31, 5'11, 185 lbs, desk job and exercise 5-6 hours a week and eat 2400-2600 calories and lose 1 lb per week. Keep in mind, this isn't about weight loss, it's about fat loss if you want to look like and fit.

Your stats would suggest you need between 2400-2700 total calories (3-4 hours of exercise vs 5-6 hours of exercise) with macronutrients around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats.

A big key to success is a food scale as it ensures accuracy in logging calories.