How to get a more "feminine" ratio?

Options
Hello everyone!

So.. I've been working on my figure pretty seriously for the last 5 months now. I work out for 3 hours two times a week, and for about 15-20 minutes a day other days (apart from usually one rest day). I have two small children, so I don't know how much that may be contributing to some of my issues...

I've been desperately trying to lose an inch or two off my waist. It's been very stubborn, and I'm not sure if it's a dietary or exercise issue... I consume about 1000 calories a day (I need to up this right? I am not eating less, this is the same as how I've always eaten), weigh about 105-110 lbs depending on the day, and I'm very slender but having issues getting rid of a bit of roundness off my tummy. Some days my tummy looks actually pregnant or very very bloated, but 8 times out of 10 I look like that so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. I don't eat too much bread... maybe a one slice for breakfast and pasta for dinner. Not much sugar either.

Besides making my waist smaller, I'd actually like to make my hips wider. Is there a possible way of doing that? Just squats, lunges?

...If I missed mentioning any details, please let me know. I would really appreciate any tips :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, you probably need to be eating more than 1000 calories.

Unfortunately, some of your shape issues might just be genetics. You don't mention what kind of exercises you're already doing?
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You could always try Corseting once you hit your ideal weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes eat more food...

to lose inches I would suggest weight lifting...I have lost more inches than pounds doing that.
  • strawberrykoi
    strawberrykoi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've always had a tiny waist before... and after I had my son and got back in shape, I was about 1 inch smaller than I am now. I don't think a sometimes-poochy-looking belly can be blamed on genetics..? Dear God, I hope not anyway.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my routine. It's taekwondo, kick boxing, and krav maga (and all your typical squats, push ups, squats ETC) 2 times a week, and a simplified version of what I do in class every day.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I've always had a tiny waist before... and after I had my son and got back in shape, I was about 1 inch smaller than I am now. I don't think a sometimes-poochy-looking belly can be blamed on genetics..? Dear God, I hope not anyway.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my routine. It's taekwondo, kick boxing, and krav maga (and all your typical squats, push ups, squats ETC) 2 times a week, and a simplified version of what I do in class every day.

I had these same issues. I have 3 kids. Planks and lower back strengthening really helped. It pulled my core in like a corset. And of course I upped my cardio, but yours seems fine. If you aren't lifting heavy already, I would start.

Weighted squats, lunges, and one leg split squats will up your hip measurement, but only because you will be adding muscle to your butt.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I had these same issues. I have 3 kids. Planks and lower back strengthening really helped. It pulled my core in like a corset. And of course I upped my cardio, but yours seems fine. If you aren't lifting heavy already, I would start.

Weighted squats, lunges, and one leg split squats will up your hip measurement, but only because you will be adding muscle to your butt.

if you're talking an inch of a pooch after childbirth I think it very well could fall into genetics territory. it also could be a food allergy or sensitivity you've developed.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

if you're talking an inch of a pooch after childbirth I think it very well could fall into genetics territory. it also could be a food allergy or sensitivity you've developed.

I've lost my mommy "pooch". Not genetic in my case.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on your frame and genetics, for example even when I was at my largest weight (which is admittedly only just overweight by BMI) I still had nicely defined curves because of my bone structure and the way weight distributes itself across my body.

I would suggest trying yoga too maybe as you can just throw it in as a chilled out workout between the days you already exercise, I found that to be helpful on getting my waist down to my smallest size a couple of years ago. It's so good for toning if you do it long term.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Eat more and get to lifting, sounds like you are complaining about being skinny fat. As for bloat, could be that something you eat doesn't agree with you, or could just be because you are small its obvious visually when your tummy is full, I get this. I don't like it, but just one of those things.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What was your frame like before kids? I have an hourglass type figure, so no matter how heavy I get, I keep a defined waist thats 9-10 inches smaller than my hips and bewbs. When I was thinest I was a 36D, 27, 38. When heaviest 38D, 31, 42. I've NEVER had a washboard flat stomach though. Not even in highschool when I weighted about 120 pounds at 5'5". Neither has my mom or sister, so I'm thinking that it's a genetic thing. I feel my abs but they have always had a little fat over them. The small part of my waist is the sharp )( it makes.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I've lost my mommy "pooch". Not genetic in my case.

+1. I had it for a while, and now I don't.