MFP, I'm taking too many pills at once... HELP!

Options

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Be careful when telling someone to stop taking supplements...find out why they take them first.
    I'm thinking OP is just taking hers because she's heard good things about them since she says she 'likes' taking them.

That being said, I take a multitude of pills a day, several of which are supplements, physician-ordered for health conditions, so ask before telling someone to just 'stop' taking something. Could be detrimental to her healht.

And this is why people end up with eating disorders, mental issues, along with other conditions. There's absolutely NO REASON why she is taking cinnamon, CLA, caffeine, and L-Glutamine for one. You can get all of this from a normal diet without the unknown crap loaded into pills.

You load all this **** into your body and wonder why things start to happen......

And secondly.... if all of this crap was prescribed to her, she wouldn't be on MFP forums asking for help instead of asking a doctor, unless she's mentally incapable of thinking rationally.
  • naariel
    Options
    You take multivitamin + individual vitamins? Why? Take a better multivitamin if yours is ineffective.

Caffeine and L-carnitine, I'm guessing that's for weight loss? Keep your diet clean and you won't need it.

Fiber? Veggies.

Fish oil is great to help with poor western omega ratio. 5HTP too if you have anxiety, insomnia or depression issues. I take 5HTP and NAC in my treatment of OCD, better alternative than prozac. I wouldn't throw all in the bin but, overall, most of you list is useless unless you have a very poor diet or malabsorption of a good diet.

If you have a very poor diet: fix it. You're on MFP for that purpose right?
    If you have malabsorption, talk with your GP to obtain good supplements that cover all or most of your deficiencies. I saw very sick old people taking less pills than you, seriously.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Be careful when telling someone to stop taking supplements...find out why they take them first.
    I'm thinking OP is just taking hers because she's heard good things about them since she says she 'likes' taking them.

That being said, I take a multitude of pills a day, several of which are supplements, physician-ordered for health conditions, so ask before telling someone to just 'stop' taking something. Could be detrimental to her healht.

And this is why people end up with eating disorders, mental issues, along with other conditions. There's absolutely NO REASON why she is taking cinnamon, CLA, caffeine, and L-Glutamine for one. You can get all of this from a normal diet without the unknown crap loaded into pills.

You load all this **** into your body and wonder why things start to happen......

And secondly.... if all of this crap was prescribed to her, she wouldn't be on MFP forums asking for help instead of asking a doctor, unless she's mentally incapable of thinking rationally[b/].

I've seen plenty of people who had things prescribed to them by a doctor on the forums,asking questions about if they should stop taking meds or taking something else with them. Just because they do see a doctor doesn't mean they listen to that doctor or think rationally, sadly.
    Caffeine and the other things you mention are unneccessary. The magnesium, B12, D, and Calcium she mentioned are not, unneccessary for everyone. I take them as well as B2 and B6, along with my prescription medications.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So I have a lot of vitamins I like to take daily bit I'm not sure what the best time of day/combinations are. I'm tired of taking most of them in the morning and ending up with a stomach ache. I'll run you down the list. Please help with how to break these up!

Niacin
    Sam-e
    5HTP
    Cinnamon
    L-Cartinine
    L-Glutamine
    Caffeine
    Fiber
    B12
    Fish OIl
    Magnesium
    CLA
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin C
    Calcium

Any help is appreciated.

Step 1: Throw all those pills away.
    Step 2: There is no step 2.

Seriously. There is absolutely no need in the world for any of those, and you are suffering ill health effects from them. These are clearly not good for you. Stop taking them. You don't need any of them.

For some of us, there is a strong need for several of them, actually. I take a lot of the ones on her list to help with my depression, and they work. Don't write something off just because you personally don't need it.

No one in the world needs to take all of those.

I take some supplements. Because I need them. If she has some serious need for one or two of them then by all means. But there is no way she needs all of those.

Especially the carnitine and glutamine. Those are common amino acids. No one in the world needs to supplement with common amino acids.

And no one needs 5-HTP either. It's another amino acid sold as an appetite suppressant.

And cinnamon? Who has a medical need for a cinnamon supplement?

OP is clearly not taking these for medical reasons. She's just taking a boatload of supplements.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I would dump them all. I take calcium + vitamin D, but only because I have osteopenia. There is no solid medical evidence that any of that stuff really does anything for you. Just get plenty of healthy nutrients from your food.
    This
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Oh good god just eat some ****ing food
    And even better, this
  • mccindy72
    Options
    So I have a lot of vitamins I like to take daily bit I'm not sure what the best time of day/combinations are. I'm tired of taking most of them in the morning and ending up with a stomach ache. I'll run you down the list. Please help with how to break these up!

Niacin
    Sam-e
    5HTP
    Cinnamon
    L-Cartinine
    L-Glutamine
    Caffeine
    Fiber
    B12
    Fish OIl
    Magnesium
    CLA
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin C
    Calcium

Any help is appreciated.

Step 1: Throw all those pills away.
    Step 2: There is no step 2.

Seriously. There is absolutely no need in the world for any of those, and you are suffering ill health effects from them. These are clearly not good for you. Stop taking them. You don't need any of them.

For some of us, there is a strong need for several of them, actually. I take a lot of the ones on her list to help with my depression, and they work. Don't write something off just because you personally don't need it.

No one in the world needs to take all of those.

I take some supplements. Because I need them. If she has some serious need for one or two of them then by all means. But there is no way she needs all of those.

Especially the carnitine and glutamine. Those are common amino acids. No one in the world needs to supplement with common amino acids.

And no one needs 5-HTP either. It's another amino acid sold as an appetite suppressant.

And cinnamon? Who has a medical need for a cinnamon supplement?

OP is clearly not taking these for medical reasons. She's just taking a boatload of supplements.

This I would agree with. Why take a cinnamon supplement? Just eat some damn cinnamon. It tastes good.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Any help is appreciated.
    Cinnamon -- Just add some real cinnamon to something you eat during the day.
    Caffeine -- WHY????
    Fiber -- Eat some berries every day (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
    B12 -- Are you a vegetarian? If not, this is likely not necessary.
    Vitamin C -- The berries and a raw tomato in a salad will cover more of this than your body can process.
    Calcium -- Do you eat dairy? If so, likely you don't need this, either.
  • Weezabella
    Weezabella Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin. Fish Oil. Ditch the rest.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ This

OP, talk to your doctor instead of a group of strangers on the internet. :flowerforyou:
  • brianlowell
    brianlowell Posts: 28 Member
    Options

And secondly.... if all of this crap was prescribed to her, she wouldn't be on MFP forums asking for help instead of asking a doctor, unless she's mentally incapable of thinking rationally.

^ Agreed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Any help is appreciated.
    Cinnamon -- Just add some real cinnamon to something you eat during the day.
    Caffeine -- WHY????
    Fiber -- Eat some berries every day (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
    B12 -- Are you a vegetarian? If not, this is likely not necessary.
    Vitamin C -- The berries and a raw tomato in a salad will cover more of this than your body can process.
    Calcium -- Do you eat dairy? If so, likely you don't need this, either.

If she has both Type II Diabetes *and* GI issues or other digestion issues, that might be a reason for a cinnamon supplement instead off eating cinnamon.

But I'm not a doctor. :tongue:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Niacin
    Sam-e
    5HTP
    Cinnamon
    L-Cartinine
    L-Glutamine
    Caffeine
    Fiber
    B12
    Fish OIl
    Magnesium
    CLA
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin C
    Calcium

Any help is appreciated.

A bowl of Cinnamon Roll Mini-Wheats, a glass of OJ, and a cup of coffee takes care of about 90% of that list ...
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

^this

^This

If your diet is balanced and healthy you do not need any of these unless you are serverly deficient in something.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The OP hasnt been back... shocker!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The OP hasnt been back... shocker!
    Hopefully because she is asking her doctor. I have also been prescribed a fair number of supplements by my doctor, so it's not all that unreasonable.
  • mccindy72
    Options

^this

^This

If your diet is balanced and healthy you do not need any of these unless you are serverly deficient in something.

Not true. There are many medical reasons to have a need to add supplements, even with a healthy diet.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

^this

^This

Not true. There are many medical reasons to have a need to add supplements, even with a healthy diet.

So come ask strangers advice on pills that MIGHT have been prescribed to you by a licensed doctor?

I think I'm going to let my pregnant wife pick-up a hitchhiker today too, when she goes out by herself.

Makes perfect logic to me.