how to set my calorie goal?

Options
Hi All,

I've been stuck on the same weight for months now so Im starting on the TDEE - 20% method - how do I change my calorie goals to reflect what the formula says Im allowed?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just checked out TDEE...pretty cool. I am not %100 sure what you mean by changing your calorie goals tho. From what I can see you're just suppose to remove %20 from the number TDEE gives ya.
    Do you work out? How often? And how long have you been stuck at the same weight? Maybe you could try cutting back your calorie intake a bit until your weight budges? How many calories did TDEE say you needed per day? I would never go under 1200 because then your body begins to go into starvation mode and you can actually GAIN weight. But I'd say for most women anything between 1200-1500 is good for trying to lose weight...
    However...the opposite can be true sometimes as well. Sometimes your weight isn't budging because you need to eat MORE calories, not less. Also, it depends what you are eating to get those calories in.
    Hope that helped :) Feel free to add me as a friend or message me if you have anymore questions!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

However...the opposite can be true sometimes as well. Sometimes your weight isn't budging because you need to eat MORE calories, not less. Also, it depends what you are eating to get those calories in.
    Hope that helped :) Feel free to add me as a friend or message me if you have anymore questions!

Please don't tell her that--the chances of her being in starvation mode are extremely small unless she is being held prisoner on a bread and water diet. What is highly probable is that she is eating too much to lose weight.

The MFP goal wizard will give you a good calorie level to use if you fill it out correctly and then follow it. By following it I mean measuring what you eat and logging your food and your exercise. The biggest problem people have is their own perception of portion size. Guess an apple portion size sometime and then weigh it, you will be surprised. If you follow the MFP plan you will lose weight--the physics demand it.
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mulehunter I find your response a tad rude if I'm honest. I've been doing 45 - 60 mins swimming 5 days a week and eating 1200 calories per day so my metabolism probably was slowed right down. I've now upped my calories to around 1800 a day with the same exercise routine so hopefully I'll see a change soon.

Mizztanjo, I was looking at how to edit my diary to show what the TDEE - 20% calculation is so that my diary doesnt look like I'm overeating every day? Don't know if that makes sense haha :)

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mulehunter I find your response a tad rude if I'm honest. I've been doing 45 - 60 mins swimming 5 days a week and eating 1200 calories per day so my metabolism probably was slowed right down. I've now upped my calories to around 1800 a day with the same exercise routine so hopefully I'll see a change soon.

Mizztanjo, I was looking at how to edit my diary to show what the TDEE - 20% calculation is so that my diary doesnt look like I'm overeating every day? Don't know if that makes sense haha :)

Click on 'My Home', then 'Goals' in the subheading. Then custom change your goals :)

PS you may be right about 1800 being more successful for weight loss, I had the same experience after increasing from 1200 after 7 months.
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you Arrseegee :)
  • Targus61
    Targus61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How to chage my calories goal