Trying to lose weight, should I stop lifting?

2»

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Another note on lifting; make sure you switch it up often. Muscle confusion is the key to gains.

bro-science.

Progressive overload is what builds lean muscle, not .... "confusion", WTF ever that is.

Adding weight, reps, or sets from your NORMAL plan is what matters.

I've been doing the same routine for over 2 years now and my arms are even bigger than in my current profile pic. I THINK I CONFUSED MY MUSCLE DUDES!

The irony of you deriding anything as "bro" while your profile pic is a flexing selfie is definitely not lost on me.

That hurts, bro, it hurts. Especially coming from someone who believes in "muscle confusion". I bet you take Hydroxycut too, huh?

And who doesn't take progression pics during a bulk / cut to see the difference? Sorry I don't run marathons and cross-fit (lol) like you.

No supplements for me bro.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Another note on lifting; make sure you switch it up often. Muscle confusion is the key to gains.

bro-science.

Progressive overload is what builds lean muscle, not .... "confusion", WTF ever that is.

I've been doing the same routine for over 2 years now and my arms are even bigger than in my current profile pic. I THINK I CONFUSED MY MUSCLE DUDES!

The irony of you deriding anything as "bro" while your profile pic is a flexing selfie is definitely not lost on me.

That hurts, bro, it hurts. Especially coming from someone who believes in "muscle confusion". I bet you take Hydroxycut too, huh?

And who doesn't take progression pics during a bulk / cut to see the difference? Sorry I don't run marathons and cross-fit (lol) like you.

I have yet to see anyone's body "adapt" to compound lifts to the point that they need to switch it up and "confuse" their muscles. While there's some truth in switching up parts of your routine over time, the core lifts in your routine probably don't need to change.

Also, heaven forbid a guy who lifts use the term "bro-science"... blasphemy! :huh:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member

bro-science.

I have yet to see anyone's body "adapt" to compound lifts to the point that they need to switch it up and "confuse" their muscles. While there's some truth in switching up parts of your routine over time, the core lifts in your routine probably don't need to change.

Also, heaven forbid a guy who lifts use the term "bro-science"... blasphemy! :huh:

I never said I believe in "muscle confusion" it's a myth. You need to scroll up and read assrats comments, or whatever his name is.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member

bro-science.

I never said I believe in "muscle confusion" it's a myth. You need to scroll up and read assrats comments, or whatever his name is.

Legit LOL. You are my new all time favorite bro.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member

I was agreeing with you bro. :tongue:
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Hi, I'm trying to lose weight here. I eat 2000 calories per day (TDEE = 3000). I do cardio and I burn about 500 cals, then I eat them back to reach my goal at the end of the day.

I've lost 14Lbs already, still got about 22Lbs left to go.

I also lift 5 days a week at the gym, but honestly, I do it just for the fun of it (am I the only person who enjoys lifting?). As I said, my main and most important goal is to lose weight.

I wanna know if lifting interferes with my weight loss, and if I should stop doing it for a while, and focus more on fat loss and cardio? Thanks.

This is simply an opinion and what worked for me.
    I've read numerous times that a pound of muscle at rest burns aprox 50 cals a day. so adding muscle can only benifit you. I try to go over my min. cals(about 200 cals) on gym days and try to have 500 cal deficit on rest days. Within 6 months I lost 30 lbs but also gained a descent amount of muscle. 30lbs in 6 months isnt anything crazy but I went from size 36 pants down to 30(32 for comfort) so the change is quite aparant.
    What's good for one might not work for the other but its food for thought.
    Cheers
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

the bulk of people who need (see what I did there) muscle confusion and "cross fit" aren't looking for long term training goals. What they really need all that "confusion" for is to keep them entertained- not because their muscles need it. They get "bored" to easily

if you are looking for long term training goals- boring- strong and steady- changing weights- occasionally focusing on different body parts to lift- or just focusing on strength itself- long standing power lifting/oly and body builders- lift the same things over and over for years.

It's long term- so the goal has nothing to do with how bored you are with your workout.

Cross fit is for people who want to exercise- not for people training for long term programs. Even cross fit champions actually are on a regular training program- not random cross fit WOD's.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member

Cross fit is for people who want to exercise- not for people training for long term programs. Even cross fit champions actually are on a regular training program- not random cross fit WOD's.

This is absolutely true. I know several crossfitters who compete and they all do heavy lifting programs outside of the WOD.

But who doesn't love heavy squats?
  • The bad info just won't stop.

1. Weight loss is achieved through a calorie deficit. That's it. It's that simple. Lifting, cardio, jumping up and down doesn't have anything to do with weight loss. So, do what ever you want. Just eat at a calorie deficit.

2. Exercise is for body recomposition, not for weight loss. Weight loss, maintenance, and gain is all calories. Exercise determines health, and how you look when you hit your goal.

3. It's always said that weight loss without exercise = looking good in clothes
    Weight loss and heavy lifting = looking good naked.

You choose.

I would not stop lifting. That's silly. And people saying yes to that are not well educated on the benefits of lifting.

^^^^ Listen to this guy, please :flowerforyou:
  • Test

58113857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    You should never stop lifting if you are capable of doing it. It brings so many benefits, reducing the risk of cancer being one of those.