HRM Users

Options
I'm curious to know how much your HRM says you burn for your exercise. I just bought a polar HRM and I like it but it says I'm buring LOTS of calories. For instance, I ran 1 mile, biked 3 miles, and then ran another mile. It took me 45 minutes and my HRM say I burned 550 calories, my average hear rate was 168 and my max was 181. I'm 5'7 and weigh 170. This just sound like lots of calories to me! What have your recent workouts come out as on your HRM?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have a polar as well. Given your weight and heart rate, it's entirely possible that's how many calories you've burned. When I exercise and get my heart rate up in the 170s, I burn 10-12 calories a minute. An hour at the gym will almost always get me to 600 calories burned, usually more. I'm 5'3" and I weight 162 right now.
  • Jellie
    Options
    ok so i am lost what is an HRM.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I depend on my HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) and I've heard they are the most accurate. Did you program in your weight?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have a different experience. I was really disappointed because I was "burning" lots more using the MFP exercise information. Fact is, and I have talked to close to 50 "experts and users" the HRM is correct. I guess I need to work on getting and keeping my HR up - I usually get it to 168 - for Zumba it goes up to 190. Even with Zumba my HRM says about 400 for 60 minutes.
  • lpeavy
    lpeavy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love that I'm burning that much, I just want to make sure it's fairly accurate. Yes, I did put my weight and height in the settings. While I was running, my heart rate stayed in the high 170's and the biking I was in the 150's.
  • ambercole
    Options
    I'm curious to know how much your HRM says you burn for your exercise. I just bought a polar HRM and I like it but it says I'm buring LOTS of calories. For instance, I ran 1 mile, biked 3 miles, and then ran another mile. It took me 45 minutes and my HRM say I burned 550 calories, my average hear rate was 168 and my max was 181. I'm 5'7 and weigh 170. This just sound like lots of calories to me! What have your recent workouts come out as on your HRM?

That sounds about right. I usually burn between 650 -700 calories in an hour.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I had the same concern when I got mine. I have the Polar F7 and it is based on V02. I have no idea what my V02 actually is so I had to guess. It seems ok now but not as accurate as I thought it should be,.