Sciatic Nerve Pain & Running

Options
I finally went to the doctor's on Wednesday for pain I was having in my right leg. Last Wednesday I started noticing that after I ran I started getting pain starting from just above my knee down through my lower leg. I decided to take some running days off and walk instead. I visited a friend at PSU over the weekend for Super Bowl, and had a little pain with walking, certain movement, and almost tripped a few times. I decided to run again on Tuesday and barely made it to 25 minutes (3 miles), because my leg was giving out during the last 5 minutes. I literally had to catch myself before almost doing a face plant several times.

I told my mom about it, and she told me that it could be connected to back problems. I do know that I get lower back pain sometimes, especially in my right hip. That's been going on for awhile, but I never thought much about it. I told the doctor all the symptoms and about the hip pain, and he told me that it is probably a pinched nerve or disk in my lower back. I'm supposed to do hamstring stretches (I know, I got lazy and stopped post-run stretching awhile ago...) and take off running, horse riding or any higher impact exercise for two weeks (shoot me now). I also apparently have some tendonitis, which seems to be apart of a runner's life and no big deal.

Does anyone else run and have sciatic nerve damage/problems? I'm a little concerned how it will affect my future. I want to do some 5k and 10k runs this spring/summer, so this is frustrating. What can I do to keep this from happening again? I tend to be rough on my body, and I have a feeling that the damage is probably from one of my many horse accidents. Will stretching do the trick, or is there something more I can do? Any specific things to add to a weight-lifting program to strengthen muscles that will help ease this problem? (I don't go to a gym, and just have a bench, free weights and treadmill.)

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In the absence of an MRI or other medical confirmation of a back disc problem, I would work on strengthening your glutes and doing some stretches for your piriformis. Look up "piriformis syndrome" and look for stretches. I'm not saying that is your issue, but none of those interventions will hurt and they might make things better.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    In the absence of an MRI or other medical confirmation of a back disc problem, I would work on strengthening your glutes and doing some stretches for your piriformis. Look up "piriformis syndrome" and look for stretches. I'm not saying that is your issue, but none of those interventions will hurt and they might make things better.

This!

I'm surprised that your Dr did not order an MRI or x-ray. I have a herniated disc and scaitica as well. My Dr had me go to PT and the exercises I learned there helped greatly. I used to run about 5 days a week, but I've cut back because that did aggravate the problem. I dont know how old you are, I'm 55 so my joints have seen better years. I do still work out 5-6 x's a week with low impact cardio.

Anyway, the condition/pain won't just go away if you ignore it. Best exercises are the one that strengthen the core, glutes, and hamstrings. Also you need to start slowly with these exercises, this is not a situation where you work through the pain. I really think you should be getting PT. Yoga and Pliates is a good alternative but make sure you tell your instructor about your condition before class so she can give you modifiers.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that your Dr did not order an MRI or x-ray. I have a herniated disc and scaitica as well. My Dr had me go to PT and the exercises I learned there helped greatly. I used to run about 5 days a week, but I've cut back because that did aggravate the problem.
    +2 - you really need your doc to order tests and get some answers.
    Anyway, the condition/pain won't just go away if you ignore it. Best exercises are the one that strengthen the core, glutes, and hamstrings. Also you need to start slowly with these exercises, this is not a situation where you work through the pain. I really think you should be getting PT.
    +100 - If you've got a pinched nerve or herniated disc, it WON'T GO AWAY. And, if you keep irritating the nerve, you can end up with chronic pain issues that don't go away even when the underlying issue is resolved.

I had lumbar surgery at 27 for a herniated disc after trying to ignore it for a year. Different than Dshalbert, I found jogging dulled out the pain. Surgery (a last resort, I'm not pushing it) carried no guarantees, but in my case was like getting a new back. The MRIs showed some degenerative disc disease.

There are exercises/stretches I'll be doing for the rest of my life, but I'm now 44 and have done multiple half marathons & triathlons since that surgery. And I jog when my knees feel my weight is acceptable *wry grin*. Others have had different outcomes, but it ALL starts with getting a really clear understanding of what's going on. And learning to not push through the pain.
    HTH
    :flowerforyou: