CARDIO VS WEIGHT TRAINING.

Options
Hi everyone. I got a question. I have only been doing cardio workouts to loose weight. Would I loose more weight doing weights as opposed to just cardio. What would be a good exercise routine for me. Would like to have friends to help me out on this:smile:

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cardio AND weight training is the best way to lose weight.....along with a calorie deficit.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It isnt a cardio versus weights question. It is all about balancing the 2 and maybe throwing in something to work on flexibility.

I prefer to alternate, weights one day, cardio to next. Other people do a little of both most days of the week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I got a question. I have only been doing cardio workouts to loose weight. Would I loose more weight doing weights as opposed to just cardio. What would be a good exercise routine for me. Would like to have friends to help me out on this:smile:

Weight loss is in the calorie deficet

Cardio is for heart health and it gives you more calories to eat.

Weights and getting enough protien help maintain your lean body mass...

I do both..more weights than cardio tho but that because I like it better.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If I could only pick one or the other I would choose weight training. It won't help you lose weight, it will help you loose fat, there is a BIG difference. If you never trained with weights you would be pretty flabby at 200lb, if you trained with weights you could weigh the same but be lean, while eating just as much.

When it comes to losing weight though, diet is 80%. For exercise, a combination is the best way to go.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You can keep just doing cardio if you like. You will lose weight and probably not look the way you want when you're down to the goal weight you desire. Doing strength training with a couple of cardio days in the mix will make you stronger and give you a look you will like to see in the mirror. You won't get big like a guy no matter what someone tells you. And, you can strength train while eating in a caloric deficit. Getting stronger and getting bigger are not the same thing. You can get stronger while eating in a slight caloric deficit and lose weight. Hope this helps. As far as a program, I'm not sure if you have access to a gym. Look into StrongLifts 5x5. I see a lot of women starting to lift enjoy this program and you will learn the basic lifts first. Which is key before you start doing a lot of isolation stuff.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It'll be an epic smackdown.

Ultimately a mix of both would be ideal. For the past year I have focused on strength training with very little cardio at all. Still losing inches, but no weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

weight control...whether losing, maintaining, or gaining is about diet and energy consumption...exercise is for fitness. exercise allows you to consume more energy (calories...food) whilst still achieving the same weight control goals...plus it's really good for you. cardio is weight lifting for your cardiovascular system and is pretty essential to overall heart health...weight training or otherwise performing resistance training is good for your muscular and skeletal systems and also give people that "toned" fitness look they're after.

you can lose, maintain, or gain with any kind of exercise...diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses. I will start mix my workup, one day cardio and the next weight training. I have noticed that since I have lost all this weight I am flabby:smile:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting increases your LBM, which in turn increased your BMR! It will tone you up and help burn more calories all around. Plus it's fun! Add in a couple of days a week with your cardio.