Push Up Training. I need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was in the army. We did over head claps to muscle failure. I do them while walking on the treadmill because they are boring. Also, it you walk while doing them, you will work your core more. You can also do the raise the roof move and push you arm up over your head over and over until it burns like crazy. Don't worry about doing knee push-ups. They will have you staying in the front leaning rest position if you can't push. You will spend a lot of time doing these three thing.

It's great that you are preparing and it will make getting "smoked" easier.

It's not really push up related, but they will also probably have you doing flutter kicks.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    They will have you staying in the front leaning rest position if you can't push.

In yoga, that position is what is called Chaturanga Dandasana. Our teacher has us slow counting to 15 before being allowed to push back up to high plank. It really does build the strength needed to do regular push-ups and build chest, shoulder and triceps strength generally.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Try the hundred push up challenge: http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.EHQeXh9n.dpbs

You can start with whatever push-up you are capable of right now, be it wall push ups or knee push ups. The most important part will be to not cheat on form. Don't stick your butt out or go halfway down.

The military has some pretty serious tests so you will eventually need to transition to full push-ups (no knees) I believe, in order to get to certain ranks. That's all second-hand knowledge so I might be wrong about that.

Hundred pushup challenge would be a good start, and yes starting out however you can do a complete rep is great, but you need to transition to full. You're second hand knowledge is pretty skewed. Most branches require a certain amount of standard pushups before even allowing the recruit to enter basic training, let alone having to do a certain amount to graduate basic, and AIT. It's far more than just worrying about advancing rank. If you can't pass the PT test, you don't get in.
  • RGv2
    Options
    They will have you staying in the front leaning rest position if you can't push.

In yoga, that position is what is called Chaturanga Dandasana. Our teacher has us slow counting to 15 before being allowed to push back up to high plank. It really does build the strength needed to do regular push-ups and build chest, shoulder and triceps strength generally.

So, then it's not the front leaning rest.....

Front leaning rest is the top of the rep, not the bottom.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When I was training to get ready for Basic I would do push ups during commercial breaks while watching TV. When I first started I could only do one, but every day I could usually do one or two more at least. By the time I did the entrance test I more than passed the requirement. Check to see if your recruiting office (if you've gotten that far yet) has some kind of get together where everyone getting ready to join comes to exercise together. I loved having the recruiters kick my rear; it was just a small, small taste of what was to come. I also had a "battle buddy" that I was paired up with, and we exercised together. Just keep at it, and keep doing them every day!
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to be mindful of the alignment of my body when I move down to the floor. Keep your abs and butt tight, it will help keep your body in a straight line and will prevent you from hurting your back.

This video from Zuzka Light also has some good pointers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiM_vMSYyO8
    I know of a lot of current and past military servers who incorporate Zuzka's workouts. They are fast and mean! Many of them include push ups, which would help you practice! I noticed a great improvement in my push up endurance while doing her workouts.

Best of luck to you!
  • Sunbrooke
    Options
    When I was training to get ready for Basic I would do push ups during commercial breaks while watching TV. When I first started I could only do one, but every day I could usually do one or two more at least. By the time I did the entrance test I more than passed the requirement. Check to see if your recruiting office (if you've gotten that far yet) has some kind of get together where everyone getting ready to join comes to exercise together. I loved having the recruiters kick my rear; it was just a small, small taste of what was to come. I also had a "battle buddy" that I was paired up with, and we exercised together. Just keep at it, and keep doing them every day!

Great idea! Those recruiters do NOT want you to fail. there are often some "home town recruiters," who just got out of basic, hanging around the office who would love to show delayed entry recruits what to expect.
  • Kiayaxo
    Kiayaxo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle very badly doing push ups. My back would buckle and I'd fall to the ground. I've found that strengthening my abs helped keep my posture right and I could do better push-ups.
  • yogicarl
    Options

Ahh - ok. I wondered why ours didn't feel like much of a rest! thanks.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    I used to struggle very badly doing push ups. My back would buckle and I'd fall to the ground. I've found that strengthening my abs helped keep my posture right and I could do better push-ups.

agreed - I found my core gave up before my arms until I did more Plank holds.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's simple...

Continue to try to do push ups daily - 3 attempts is enough. No more is nescessary.

Train upper body twice a week with weights. A simple routine like this will improve upper body and core strength in a matter of a few workouts.

Bench Press 3 x 8
    Incline Bench press 3 x 8
    Shoulder Press 3 x 8
    Lat Pulldown 3 x 8
    Seated Row 3 x 8
    Ab Planks 3 x 1 minute
    Push up Position 3 x 1 minute
    Sit ups 3 x 1 minute

Once you get the past doing 8-10, it will start to be easier... I max push ups on every PT test and I've been in almost 11 years. BTW, have someone who knows Push Up form help teach you... It'll pay off in the long run...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try the hundred push up challenge: http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.EHQeXh9n.dpbs

You can start with whatever push-up you are capable of right now, be it wall push ups or knee push ups. The most important part will be to not cheat on form. Don't stick your butt out or go halfway down.

The military has some pretty serious tests so you will eventually need to transition to full push-ups (no knees) I believe, in order to get to certain ranks. That's all second-hand knowledge so I might be wrong about that.

Ummmmm your knees hurt? Yeah that's why you place a mat under them. I know my knees kill me, I have had one knee wired back together incorrect & it's never not hurt with any pressure on it, the other knee is so shot that it is amazing I'm still moving.... yet pushups are great with a mat under them.... hell even a towel folded up. Enough to make it a bit of a cushion for them. There is no excuse not to do a pushup.... bad knees and all.
    You can't do knee push-ups at all. Besides, I HATE them. My knees always hurt, and I don't find them to be terribly helpful. <_<

OP~ if you want to friend me, I'd be happy to talk with you more. I've got a FB group as well where I'm posting different exercises and things my husband gives me. No clue just how far out of shape you are, but I'd be happy to share my rather easy starting plan. lol I'm really out of shape. <_<
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Try this

Set yourself up so when you are in the resting push-up position (high plank), your heels are pressing against the skirting board.

Now, when you lower yourself down to low plank, make sure you are driving your heels into the wall behind you.

Then, when your sternum is about a fist height from the floor, push back up with your elbows brushing your rib cage and not out at angles from your body.

You may find you felt stronger doing it this way? Driving your heels backwards like this helps you to take the intensity away from your upper body.

Men tend to use upper body, shoulder and arm brute strength to do push-ups, whereas women often have much better form because they learn to use energy and mechanics more efficiently.

I'm going to try this. As a woman, I've always had problems doing push-ups on the floor. :flowerforyou:
  • Sunbrooke
    Options
    The quote in the last post reminded me of something else.

I failed my sit-ups all through basic training, even though I was maxing my push ups and didn't have a problem with the runs. It turned out that it was all in how my buddies were holding my feet. They were holding them flat to the ground so that I got no leverage with my legs and was using all abs. If my feet were at to high of angle to the ground I had the same problem. Once someone held them firm but at an angle, I was able to use my legs and pass no problem. Experiment with stuff like this.

When I was in, no one really put much thought into this stuff. I was never able to do my air assault road march in under the time limit in school. I wish so badly that I'd known about weight lifting. We just kept running, road marching, and doing push ups, but I needed more training to cary that weight. This site will be a good tool for you. You are smart for being so proactive.
  • RGv2
    Options

Ahh - ok. I wondered why ours didn't feel like much of a rest! thanks.

It's called the front lean rest as it is the only position allowed for rest during the Push-Up event of the physical training test.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Ummmmm your knees hurt? Yeah that's why you place a mat under them. I know my knees kill me, I have had one knee wired back together incorrect & it's never not hurt with any pressure on it, the other knee is so shot that it is amazing I'm still moving.... yet pushups are great with a mat under them.... hell even a towel folded up. Enough to make it a bit of a cushion for them. There is no excuse not to do a pushup.... bad knees and all.
    You can't do knee push-ups at all. Besides, I HATE them. My knees always hurt, and I don't find them to be terribly helpful. <_<

OP~ if you want to friend me, I'd be happy to talk with you more. I've got a FB group as well where I'm posting different exercises and things my husband gives me. No clue just how far out of shape you are, but I'd be happy to share my rather easy starting plan. lol I'm really out of shape. <_<

Congratulations? My knees DO hurt, and you make the assumption that I don't use a mat, or any form of protection for my knees. :huh: Nobody said that's an "excuse" and there are actually GOOD methods of training for push-ups, and knee variations don't make the cut, because they take out half of the body work needed for a full push-up. Sure, your arms will get stronger, but that's about it. I think I'll take 1) better forms of training and 2) forms that don't cause me actual joint pain. Do whatever makes you happy, but just because your knees don't hurt, doesn't mean it's the same for all, nor does it make knee variations a good training method.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Any one having any tips on training for push-ups. I can't do 1 push-up, but I plan on joining the military, therefore, I NEED to work on this. I have been practicing by starting off with doing push-ups on the bathroom corner and doing about 10-15 a couple times a day. Does any have an suggestions?

Here's a secret an ex-military man shared with me. Do as many push ups as you can (moderately, not too fast or too slow) in two minutes. You may do 5 or 10, then rest a couple seconds, then do as many as you can for the remaining time. I went from being only able to do 25 in a row to my most, 125. I know can do 90 to 110 depending on the day.

On another note, thank you for wanting to serve your country!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Here's a secret an ex-military man shared with me. Do as many push ups as you can (moderately, not too fast or too slow) in two minutes. You may do 5 or 10, then rest a couple seconds, then do as many as you can for the remaining time. I went from being only able to do 25 in a row to my most, 125. I know can do 90 to 110 depending on the day.

On another note, thank you for wanting to serve your country!
    [/quote]

I forgot to mention you should do this 3 times a week. You'll be amazed at the progress.