Maintenace Mode?

Options
Hi! What is considered maintenance? Is it minting within 5 pounds or staying at the same weight? This may seem like a stupid question, but I am thoroughly interested. What is your buffer? Do you allow yourself to gain or lose weight within a weight range?

Thanks

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Most people allow themselves a 3 - 5lbs buffer above or below their maintenance weight. Fluctuations happen, so you'll never be able to stay exactly the same weight all the time.
  • Seek_Joy
    Options
    Great, thanks for the thoughts! :)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I give myself a 3 lb range. Friday is my weigh-in day. I don't let myself get above 119.5. But, when I go up any, I work to get it back off. Losing a little more wouldn't bother me.
  • Seek_Joy
    Options
    That is a really great suggestion, Queen! Thank you :)
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely a BUFFER! 3-5 sounds about right. As you maintain, I firmly believe that you should disconnect a bit from the scale, and pay attention to the fit of your clothes, and how you are feeling. And the occasion mirror session, 'cuz who DOESN'T like to appreciate all their hard work?? Weigh in less, and learn to feel your body and it's triggers... you'll find your balance, and it'll be effortless.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    II for me, it's just a pound either way, thus a 3 pound range.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I allow a couple pounds to flex. If I go more than that I have to work to get it off. If you don't watch the next thing I know is that I have now put on 10 pounds.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    As others have said --- Don't get hung up on the scale. Weigh weekly not daily. Your clothes will tell you if you gain. My goal was the size I am now and all my clothes are that size with no elastic waistbands. I know immediately where I am at.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Most people allow themselves a 3 - 5lbs buffer above or below their maintenance weight. Fluctuations happen, so you'll never be able to stay exactly the same weight all the time.

This is what I do :smile:
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I tried that maintainence thing, but for me if I am not moving forward, I am moving back. I can't "maintain". I have to work to keep my muscle and I have to work to keep my bf% low. I am always at a deficit calorie wise unless it's a planned higher calorie day. So I don't have a range of scale weight, but then again I have no idea what my current weight is now, I hate the scale!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am fine with two pound either side of my goal number and my clothes fitting correctly. Some days I eat more, some days I eat less. At the end of the week, it's all good if I'm in that range.:drinker:
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I stick to a 3-5lb window as well. Typically I stay within 3lbs, but during my time of the month it could go 5lbs.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I stick to a 3-5lb window as well. Typically I stay within 3lbs, but during my time of the month it could go 5lbs.

This! I weigh daily; I think it is easier to get a feel for what makes your body fluctuate like sodium and lifting....
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My buffer zone is October thru Christmas. It came to about 18 lbs. Will be back to goal in time for spring break in las Vegas. Looking forward to a sushi buffet.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    3 to five pound scale here also. It's worked well for the past 2 years for me. Granted during the Holidays it goes past that...but not by more then another 3-4 pounds.

So right now it is back to work for me. :grumble: