BIRTHDAY ALCOHOL OPINION

Options
2»

Replies

• firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I actually had to deal with this for my birthday a little while ago. I knew I was going to enjoy myself that night so I just eat decently throughout the day, had a meal I don't normally eat anymore (Yes, that means a burger AND fries, gasp). Had lots of water during the day and at dinner. Then focused on whiskey and diet mixers and enjoying my night. I went over my daily amount but I was back at the gym and eating right the next day. Didn't derail me one bit.

And....happy birthday! Have a great night and let us know how you did :flowerforyou:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's one night, it's okay.

Enjoy your birthday. That's what you should be doing.

1 day/night won't ruin your whole weight loss journey.
  • anglhart
    Options
    @ jewlesin BigD...You can say "I'm not kidding" about gaining 3lbs per drink, but I can you you're not being honest...that's just stupid. No one gains three pounds per drinkg I don't care who you are or your body type. the only way you're gaining 3 lbs per drink is if the drink is 3500 cals and you're also eating another 7000 calories with eah drink. Your advice is disappointing to say the least.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said one day will NOT derail you. You couldn't even eat enough calories to gain a pound. (Beware that if you go out you might be ingesting a lot of salt and the scale will be high for a day or two).

If you're really worried, avoid drinks like margaritas and heavily mixed drinks as they carry quite the punch of calories. Things like clear liquors and IMHO wine have the most bang for your buck while saying lower on the calorie end.

On my birthday I drink 3-4 glasses of red wine... that's tops less than 500 calories in alcohol.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You will likely retain water after a night of drinking so just be prepared that the scale might go up some. But remember, it's just that...your body retaining water. Drink plenty of fluids the next few days and you should see your weight level back out.

Additionally, remember that it takes an extra 3500 cals over maintenance for you to gain 1 lb. It sounds like a night out is not a common thing for you, so have fun and don't worry too much about it.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Before you go out make sure you have an excess in calories. I went out drinking last weekend with about 600 calories left over and I still maintained the same weight and it's been 5 days now. Beer will add up in calories quick, I think about 4-5 shots is equivalent to about 2 beers depending what you are drinking. Drink plenty of water too and have a great time!
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vodka waters with lime and dance ;) Have fun!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My birthday is on Sunday (34 this year). I'm drinking a little tonight and moderately tomorrow night. I hit the gym hard this morning, and I plan to hit the gym hard tomorrow morning.

Here's the wisdom that comes with old age, don't drink light beer. It's gross. If you drink 9%+, you have to drink fewer also. Stronger beer tastes better, doesn't have ridiculously more calories, and you don't have to consume the same volume as light beer to feel some happy effects. I'd have to drink at least 6 light beers...at 100 calories; that's 600 cals. I already checked MFP and my 9% has just over 300 cals for 22 oz. I'm set.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I go out drinking a lot (student life y'know) and by that I mean usually at least twice a week. What you should do is try to cover at least some of the alcohol calories using your daily allowance (for me I usually make sure I have at least 400cal left after dinner) and I try to exercise to burn off the rest e.g walking 10-20 mins instead of a cab, dancing around clubs etc. That way you burn off a lot of it. Stick to lower calorie drinks, e.g vodka and diet coke or shots of course etc.

However, as it is your birthday you shouldn't worry about the calories!

Happy Birthday :)
  • internetsignup
    Options
    I do heavy cardio on the days I plan on indulging. i.e. kill 500'ish+ calories and I am good to go with anything I want, beer or whatever. Since I enjoy beer, I get plenty of cardio. I also ensure that I never exceed my TDEE if I do add calories above and beyond my daily goal.

cheers.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Have Fun!

Real quick: hard alcohols like gin, vodka, clear run, tequila and whiskey contain about the same amount of calories. You need to buy something that is more-or-less mainstream. For example, jimador tequila is comparable to jim beam whiskey, in terms of calories. When you get into dark rum, bourbon whiskey or canadian whiskey, they start rising in calories. Amazingly, Guiness is a low-cal beer. It doesn't contain too many more than a Coors, so appearances can be deceiving (dark doesn't always equal worse for you... but usually it does). I would do a hard liquor that mixes well with club soda (zero cal), not tonic (high cal), unless you want to do diet tonic water (not all bars carry this).

Otherwise, straight up go for red wine. It's my new go-to. You get more bang for your buck (alcohol content vs. calories) and you get the health benefit of whatever makes wine that lovely dark red (that's right, white wine doesn't give you the same benefit).

When you start drinking more (especially at home), my wife suggests zero cal crystal light lemonade mix with vodka. I suggest huckleberry vodka with club soda. Gin and tonics (with diet tonic water) are life-saving in the summer, especially if you aren't letting yourself drink beer.

I think you're doing the right thing by reducing your caloric intake before drinking, to make up for all the calories you'll be consuming. Just remember that sugar = a worse hangover. Less food = a faster buzz, so don't totally overdo it. But it's your birthday... so you should probably wake up with a hangover tomorrow.

Party on, Wayne!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com :)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is metabolized to acetate in the liver which is pure energy. Our bodies LOVE:heart: pure energy because it's so easy to burn. Just keep in mind, any other calories you consume will be unnecessary for energy use and stored, so keep your food calories reasonable. Stick to proteins and avoid sugary carbs, which will be stored for as long as there is acetate to burn. Drink lightly, try to dodge sugary mixed drinks like margaritas, mai tais or anything mixed with straight soda versus diet. Make it a rule to finish one glass of water for every alcohol-based beverage to slow you down. Get home safely, and have an awesome birthday! I was a 25-yr old single mom myself back in the stone age, and boy that was a fun night. :laugh:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink and drive home.
  • FINDAWGELF
    Options
    If it's a lifestyle change, it doesn't matter what you do today, because tomorrow it won't matter. Have as much fun as you can without thinking about it. Happy Birthday.