Reaction to the biggest loser??

Options
I am curious to know what people think about Rachel Fredrickson, the current winner of the biggest loser. There has been a lot of controversy around her losing 155 pounds in 5 months, taking her down to just 105 LBS. Speculation of her being unhealthy, even throwing the word "anorexic" around, has been all around the media. I would like to know what your thoughts/comments/feelings are??

Happy Friday!

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    There have been several threads here about the topic...just a heads up...

I thought she looked too thin. Tumi, the at home winner, looked healthy and fit. Rachel didn't look that way to me. The real test will be if Rachel can maintain her weight at that level.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have never watched Biggest Loser, I am a fan of Extreme Weight Loss (with Chris Powell) where it's not a competition and there is no prize. All I can say is that she lost an awful lot of weight in such a short time and did not look healthy. It's hard to really judge someone you don't know, though. People don't need to be mean to her, but rather concerned for her health. Weight loss is not supposed to be about diet, but a lifestyle change and being healthy, not skinny.
  • MayberryMama
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it. What I imagine happened there is she really wanted to win and went to the extreme to be sure she succeeded. But it's not likely she can maintain that low weight long term, so she will probably bounce back up to a more suitable weight in the coming months and be just fine. I thought she looked beautiful, and the only part that looked a little too thin was her arms. But I know that some ladies just have really spindly arms and when you lose the fat, you end up with chicken wings, lol. I wish her the best, because I am sure she really worked hard to win.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So many threads about this topic...my question remains where in the world did all her excess skin go?
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It was an unthinkable amout to lose, but her's was done with medical supervision and was for $250k. I'm sure like most winners, she'll put on enough to get her back to a healthy more realistic weight. I just hope she doesn't go back to the 260 she was to begin with.
  • TCarter18
    Options
    I think she did what she needed to do to win $250k. I can't criticize her for that. I would've done the same thing. She can always gain back a few pounds later on to make up for it. People are making a bigger deal of it than it really is. It's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it. What I imagine happened there is she really wanted to win and went to the extreme to be sure she succeeded. But it's not likely she can maintain that low weight long term, so she will probably bounce back up to a more suitable weight in the coming months and be just fine. I thought she looked beautiful, and the only part that looked a little too thin was her arms. But I know that some ladies just have really spindly arms and when you lose the fat, you end up with chicken wings, lol. I wish her the best, because I am sure she really worked hard to win.

I agree, her face looked a little odd too!
  • MizStephanie
    Options
    I think she did what she needed to do to win $250k. I can't criticize her for that. I would've done the same thing. She can always gain back a few pounds later on to make up for it. People are making a bigger deal of it than it really is. It's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Totally agree with you on this one, its a lose, lose situation (literally!) LoL.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that people who say other people are "too thin" should not get bent out of shape if someone says you are "too fat".
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    So many threads about this topic...my question remains where in the world did all her excess skin go?

She may not have had any... She was 200lbs to start, not 500. And genetics play a big role in that.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I do not watch that show, but I just read a brief headline about the controversy. She is 5'4" and now 105 lbs. This puts her at a BMI of 18, which is below what the medical community considers a healthy weight.

However, this forum is probably not the appropriate space in which to have this discussion.

Perhaps a forum moderator will move it?
  • MizStephanie
    Options
    All I can say is that people who say other people are "too thin" should not get bent out of shape if someone says you are "too fat".

Agreed! Wish society was different...
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Ditto, except she is young, and young skin shrinks..... Also who knows what scars lie under the clothing.
  • isobeltheodora
    Options
    haters gunna hate. i'm sure she rather be 105lbs than 200 or 300 however much she weighed. and that's what losing weight and being healthy is about..feeling good about yourself and i guarantee she feels great.
  • MizStephanie
    Options
    haters gunna hate. i'm sure she rather be 105lbs than 200 or 300 however much she weighed. and that's what losing weight and being healthy is about..feeling good about yourself and i guarantee she feels great.

Nicely said!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It was an unthinkable amout to lose, but her's was done with medical supervision and was for $250k. I'm sure like most winners, she'll put on enough to get her back to a healthy more realistic weight. I just hope she doesn't go back to the 260 she was to begin with.

I don't think her last 45 were medically supervised, they were from home. That said, she probably knew it was unhealthy but wanted the money and can get back to "healthy" after she wins it all.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

This.

Also I love how the hosts looked 'shocked'.... they knew how thin she'd gotten as they as they are the ones there as well..... so for them to look shocked like they had not seen her in months is bull****.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

She may not have had any... She was 200lbs to start, not 500. And genetics play a big role in that.

I'm the same height as her & started off at 210lbs, so not much bigger. I lost my weight in 7 months & have excess skin. She would have had heaps at her current weight. Skin does not shrink back that fast.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I do not watch that show, but I just read a brief headline about the controversy. She is 5'4" and now 105 lbs. This puts her at a BMI of 18, which is below what the medical community considers a healthy weight.

However, this forum is probably not the appropriate space in which to have this discussion.

Perhaps a forum moderator will move it?
    BMI charts don't take into account body type. Coincidentally, my wife is 5'4" and 110 pounds. It was 105 lbs. when she was younger. She has never intentionally limited food to achieve it and in fact has a hard time maintaining it. The only people who have ever called her "too thin" were jealous overweight people.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Honestly I don't see the big deal. Before she was many pounds overweight and now she's just 3-5 pounds underweight. All she needs to do is gain 5 pounds and she'll look a lot better and be in the healthy range. When you're that thin 5 pounds makes a huge difference. That should be a piece of cake. Or a whole cake and a pizza pie lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!