Thoughts on getting a personal trainer for lifting?

Options
I've been doing New Rules Of Lifting For Women on my own, but kinda feel like I'm not getting things right and that I just have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first attempt at lifting so everything is new to me. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a personal trainer for a month or so just so I can get the hang of things? I have no idea what to expect with a personal trainer either so any input would be helpful :) Thanks!!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it can be helpful if you get someone who knows anything about lifting- otherwise a good place to start is to take a video and *kitten* yourself- then post on a forum for a form check if you feel like you still need help.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Learn the correct form to avoid injury. My gym ( a frugal franchise) has Personal Trainers for free to guide you. Maybe your local City has adult rec fitness weight training classes that can help and be cost effective.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A trainer would a good idea to get the basics down.
    An alternative would be to watch some youtube instructional videos and try the lifts with minimal weight in front of a mirror to check your form. You could also ask others at your gym for help.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    As long as you are specific. Look for someone who can help you with "power lifting". Otherwise you might have someone who thinks "squats" don't involve weights.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In some ways, working with a trainer might be more beneficial now that you have been lifting for awhile. Although you may have picked up some bad habits that need retraining, you have also gone through the initial adaptation and so you can be pushed harder.

I agree w/those who say to be specific about telling the trainer what kind of assistance you want and your goals. If you want to "lift (heavy) weights", be clear about that or you likely will end up hopping around the gym.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Absolutley! I am doing the same program and was having issues with deadlifts. Watched video, after video and didn't know what I was doing wrong. Finally one day video taped it and got my answer.
    Form is important to avoid injury!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As long as you are specific. Look for someone who can help you with "power lifting". Otherwise you might have someone who things "squats" doesn't involve weights.

yup, you have to be specific with them. i just spend about 4 weeks with a PT working on my Oly lifts...i had to be very specific that all i wanted to work on was Oly lifts and there was only one trainer at my gym who did them so getting time with him was a challenge.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    As long as you are specific. Look for someone who can help you with "power lifting". Otherwise you might have someone who things "squats" doesn't involve weights.

^ This. Maybe scope your gym out for a trainer you have seen training him or herself like you want to be trained yourself. If you judge me by my clients, only one of these is even starting to do any powerlifting lifts. But I train myself very differently. Another suggestion is to ask the manager for suggestions on a specific trainer. Or just look around the weight room and seek help. You may find your own "Big Joe" who would love to help you with your squat, check your bench form, etc because he's a super nice, super strong, super powerlifter even though he's not a trainer. I have my own "Big Joe." :heart:

Nia Shanks is a great resource on form for all things lifty. She has some free form vidoes on youtube but when you buy one of her eBooks, you get access to her private linked form videos as well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    This is my first attempt at lifting so everything is new to me. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a personal trainer for a month or so just so I can get the hang of things?

Absolutely.. however, choose one carefully. Here are tips on finding a good one -
    http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/

By the way, it's possible to get in great shape without doing a single powerlifting exercise. I recommend letting the trainer decide which exercises are best for you. A customized program can be superior to a mass-marketed, cookie-cutter routine.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    As long as you are specific. Look for someone who can help you with "power lifting". Otherwise you might have someone who thinks "squats" don't involve weights.

^^This.

I just started lifting a little over a month ago, and despite my direct request to trainer manager that I wanted a Olympic lifting certified trainer to help me with forms on deadlifts and squats, they tried to start me on a totally different work-out routine. After several direct, somewhat heated discussions with them, I still got nowhere. (They kept saying they were willing to train me on lifts, but I'd need to start with core strength and foundation exercises, first.) However, I managed to meet another trainer at the same gym who is more than happy to train me on lifts. She thought the other trainers' recommendations were idiotic, as well. Long story short, we start tomorrow!

So, my point is that you should definitely be concerned about proper form, a trainer will help with that, but not all trainers are a good fit for you. So evaluate them/their personality, tell them exactly what you want, and ask them to tell you specifically what their plan is to train you, before you hand over any money.

Good luck!