Frustrated

Options
I have lost weight and was at my ideal weight twice, but eventually it comes back. I’m so frustrated, how do I eat to KEEP the weight OFF!

I exercise most every day, I love to exercise, but my weight comes back and it seems its harder to take off the weight the next time. My diet has changed, I’m eating more vegetables than I ever have in my life, and I make my own lunches for work, I hardly eat out at lunch time, but I still struggle with my weight. WHY?

Replies

• jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking all foods? I know I will sometimes think, "that fruit cup was nothing" and then I plug it in and sure enough its more calories/sugar than I anticipated.

Don't give up!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you're trying to lose 2 pounds. Is that accurate?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    1) Are you talking about 5 pounds or 20? Everyone has a weight range, with daily fluctuations. It looks like you have set a goal to lose two pounds: that is well within natural fluctuations!

2) If you are talking about genuine weight gain of more than five pounds, how long do you continue to log during maintenance? You should continue to log for several weeks until you have a good idea of what how much you should be eating and then consider logging a typical day every few weeks. If you go crazy for a day, consider logging it to see how much over: One day a week of 5000 calories can really add up over time.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an understanding of the amount of calories needed to maintain your weight, then it's really difficult to stay the same or even lose no matter what eating habits or exercise habits you have changed.

Look into your TDEE and accurately (like using a food scale and logging everything, everyday) tracking your food, and see what happens. You'll probably find out that it isn't as difficult as it seems to lose and then maintain.
  • JilaineS
    Options
    Once you are at your goal weight, learn how many calories it takes to maintain that weight. For me, while dieting I try and only consume 1200-1400 calories a day. When I'm at my healthy weight, I can increase it to 1800-2000 (while still working out regularly). Its important to eat healthy and exercise always, not for weight loss but for the many benefits that come from keeping our bodies active and properly fed.

Don't get frustrated. Release the anxiety, all it does is cause stress which promotes weight gain. Be true to yourself, properly track all the calories you eat and maintain a healthy lifestyle and have realistic expectations for yourself. Don't try to make your body do things it won't by having unrealistic weight goals. Be healthy and your body will be what it is supposed to be. :)

Best of luck and stay strong!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You have to keep weighing and logging. Exercise isn't enough if you overeat.

And you're absolutely right - it gets harder to lose every time you yo you back up.

You lost the weight. You can keep it off. You just have to keep going.