ruptured disc

icujohnson
icujohnson Posts: 22
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
anyone out there with history of ruptured disc in back . three years ago I ruptured my l5 s1 discs and would like to safely start exercising (besides just walking and light weights) my back only mildly hurts at times and i would like to start strength training and perhaps jogging? any ideas?

Replies

• I have osteoarthritis in my back and about five years ago ended up in the hospital. It has gotten better since then but I have to say that the pain, when it flares up, can be debilitating. Exercising can be tricky with a bad back. Walking and light weights are the norm. You can also try bike riding or hiking, as long as the terrain is not too rocky. Strength training with weights or equipment that emphasizes particular muscle groups at a gym is probably best. You can use weights, just stay away from the Olympic Power Lifting stuff. You want to strengthen the "girdle" around your abdomen.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Pushups, bridging, planks are the best to strengthen your core. I would stay away from running, that just puts a pounding on your back. Swimming, cycling, elliptical would be great for you. You can also lift, but stay away from back exercises, so you can do arms (biceps, triceps), shoulders, lat pull downs, flys, lunges, side lunges, heel raises...

I would stay away from adding weight to your lower body workouts for now, until you've lost the weight you want and your legs and core are stronger.

Did you go to physical therapy for your back three years ago? I would recommend to start doing the home program they gave you. If you didn't go, and your insurance covers it, I would recommend a few visits to get you safely started on a program that works for you. I would NOT go to a personal trainer at your gym, make sure you go to a health care professional that understands your injury.

Do not use the weight belts, that will only weaken your core. Those should ONLY be used when maxing out on squats and deadlifts, which you should be staying far away from.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I can sympathize! I burst the one above that, the s1 is just slipped. Stay away from high impact aerobics and any lifting that involves your back. Get your doctor to send you to a physical therapist to get you started on a good routine. I have found that the treadmill and eliptical work best for cardio. The position of the hips on the stationary bike sometimes causes the sciatica to flare up. Talk to the therapist about using the resistance bands and the balls for strength training instead of using weights. I found that with the bands and balls I did not have the tensing and jerking that I got with the free weights and machines. They can also suggest some good yoga forms to use. I found a great Vin yoga dvd for people with low back pain.

Good Luck!
  • thanks so much! your advice is right on. really helpful. I did go to p.t.. 3 years ago and still do those exercises. i think the recovery was much longer b/c i went way too long before seeking treatment. you know, "it will get better with time" attitude.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    anyone out there with history of ruptured disc in back . three years ago I ruptured my l5 s1 discs and would like to safely start exercising (besides just walking and light weights) my back only mildly hurts at times and i would like to start strength training and perhaps jogging? any ideas?

I had a prolapsed disc at the beginning of this year, I had to give up running and it was quite a few weeks before I could even start walking properly.

Eventually, I began exercise again and started off with just walking one mile and then after a week like that I upped it to two miles - nothing strenuous, just walking at a comfortable pace.

Then I moved onto walking on my treadmill and upped the speed weekly and then one day, I got so bored and missed my running so much, I risked it (this was approximately four months after my disc had recovered), I put the treadmill on 6mph and jogged really carefully for just half a mile and it was fine. After that, I increased the distance each session by a few hundred metres and now I am up to one hour running without stopping.

The trick is to not overdo it, there is so much time, plenty of it in fact. So much time to take your time and build up gradually.

Oh, one thing I did do several times, on the odd occasion, after running, my back where my bad disc is, would get sore - I would always shower and never bath after training and I would put an ice pack on that bad disc if it was sore. This ice-pack seemed to soothe it and it has never failed yet to relieve the soreness so that I can train either the next day or the day after. I usually leave it on there for around 20 minutes at a time.

I always steer clear of heat on my back and I have the ice pack at the ready at all times.

I hope your methods of training suit you and enable you to do your exercise and all the best with your back xxx
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    thanks so much! your advice is right on. really helpful. I did go to p.t.. 3 years ago and still do those exercises. i think the recovery was much longer b/c i went way too long before seeking treatment. you know, "it will get better with time" attitude.

And back injuries are the worst, they never really "go away", they just calm down, and when you least expect it, flare up again.

My husband is dealing with a disc injury right now, and it is no fun. It is much different being at home with an injured person than seeing them at the clinic and sending them on their way!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    thanks so much! your advice is right on. really helpful. I did go to p.t.. 3 years ago and still do those exercises. i think the recovery was much longer b/c i went way too long before seeking treatment. you know, "it will get better with time" attitude.

And back injuries are the worst, they never really "go away", they just calm down, and when you least expect it, flare up again.

My husband is dealing with a disc injury right now, and it is no fun. It is much different being at home with an injured person than seeing them at the clinic and sending them on their way!!

Hope your hubby recovers soon Summer, as you said it is no fun (actually it's agonising as you probably see).

Totally correct about them never really going away too. In my own case, I ignored the warning of a touch of sciatica - I tried to run it off! I mean, I must have been doolally, if I had taken note of the sciatica and rested at that point, I reckon the disc would have calmed down within a few days.
This discussion has been closed.