Gaining 2lb a week. Too much even with low BF%?

Options
I'm a month into a my first ever serious "bulk". I'm 31, male and started at 142lbs. Yesterday, for the first time in many years, I hit 150lb "morning weight". So, that puts my gains at about 2lb/week. From what I typically read about "clean bulks", 2lb/week is a bit high.

However, I've been tracking my BF% since week two. I had my wife perform a caliper test on me - 7 sites, 3 measurements at each site averaged out. I was shocked to see that I was at 4.6% on week 2. I passed it off as my wife not doing it correctly. Week 3 showed me at 5.4%. Still not believing it, I went to the local personal trainer and had her use her body impedence device, which said I'm at 6.2%. Week 4 has the calipers showing 4.65% again. So, while I am definitely gaining weight, I don't seem to be gaining much/any body fat.

Anyway, like I said, 2lb a week seems high for a clean bulk, but if my BF% isn't increasing, should I keep going at this rate? BTW, I've averaged 3450 calories over the past month (45% carbs, 27% protein, 28% fat). Your experiences would be appreciated.

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on calipers. There are all sorts of ways to manipulate the skin pinch. 4.6 is on the low end of male bodybuilder competition percent, and it is really, really hard on the kidneys. You were probably more like 9 or 10. 3-4% is male essential body fat, and hovering that low would make you dead pretty quickly.

With respect to 2 pounds a week, you are starting at a low body fat, so why not give it a couple more months and re-evaluate?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    This is pretty normal. Early in bulks you tend to gain weight faster than you'd expect and fat slower than you'd expect, both will change as get further into your bulk.

Heck the first 2 months of my first bulk my body fat % declined since I gained pretty much 100% lean mass.

Weight when bulking will often follow a wave pattern, you'll go a couple weeks gaining weight wtf fast then you'll spend a couple weeks at stalled or even losing a bit before the pattern repeats. Oddly enough tape measure gains for me tend to be strongest when in the midst of a stall or weight loss.

The double whammy of little to no muscle size gains and a big weight spike when bulking never seems to get easier mentally, no matter how many times I experience the pattern.

If fat gain starts to get real bad, reevaluate your intake. But for now I'd stay the course and expect a weight stall just around the corner. The scale is to be taken with a grain of salt when bulking. Trust your calorie #'s and method of measuring fat gain (I use a good ol tape around the waist). If the scale is acting wonky, give it a few weeks and reevauate.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Beach - I do realize that calipers (or anything) can be off.. but results were taken on 3 different weeks and I also did the body impedence device. Everything is within about 1.5%. I can say that I used the same body impedence device last year and it gave me a reading of 10.2%. Of course, I weighed about 5 lbs less and I expected 9-10% back then.

Waldo - I also take my measurements weekly (I'm in a body-transformation challenge now, hence the reason I'm trying to bulk in the first place)

Week 1 to Week 4 has shown the following changes

- Week 1 - Week 2 - Week 3 - Week 4
    Neck - 14.75 - 14.75 - 14.75 - 14.75
    Shoulders - 43.5 - 43.5 - 44 - 44
    Chest - 37.5 - 38.5 - 38.5 - 38.5
    Biceps - 11.75 - 11.75 - 12.25 - 12.25 -
    Forearms - 10.75 - 10.75 - 10.6 - 11
    Waist - 30.75 - 30.75 - 31 - 31.25
    Hips - 34.75 - 35.25 - 35.4 - 35.5
    Thighs - 20.75 - 21 - 21 - 21 -
    Calves - 14 - 14 - 14.1 - 14.25 -

So, I guess I am seeing some growth. Its hard to judge in the mirror of course, but I think thats an issue with everyone, regardless of if one is trying to gain or lose.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not that it really matters, but you look somewhere around 8-12%.

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Anyway, are you gaining 2lbs/week or have you just gained 8lbs in a month and are averaging the results? The reason I ask is because if you are consistently putting on 2lbs/week it MIGHT be a bit much. But if you've only gained 8lbs total for the month, the initial gains are probably a significant amount of water. I added 7lbs in my first week alone, and then the next month after I gained about 4lbs total.

I would continue to monitor weekly gains for at least 4 more weeks. You're probably fine. I bet you will see the gains slow down. If not, re-assess at that point. Only one side note, 3450calories a day for someone 150lbs does sound quite high unless you're very active. I'm bulking on 3300 and I'm 6'3" 210lbs and I'm weight training 8 hours a week but otherwise sedentary. Food for thought, if your gains continue at 2lbs/week consistently you might want to cut back closer to 3000.
  • terizius
    Options
    Dope - In fact, you are spot on.. my profile pic was taken a year ago, when I was BF% tested to 10.2%. I need to put a new one up and will try to do that soon. (Edit - I changed my profile pic to one taken about 3 weeks ago - I still don't "look" like 5% BF though)

As to the gains.. here were my weights so far. Note that 142 was my weight a few days before the official start of my "bulk", and 150.2 was as of yesterday. So, it does look like some of that initial weight could have been water since it was a jump of 2.6 lbs..

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4
    143 145.6 146.6 148.2
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Dope - In fact, you are spot on.. my profile pic was taken a year ago, when I was BF% tested to 10.2%. I need to put a new one up and will try to do that soon. (Edit - I changed my profile pic to one taken about 3 weeks ago - I still don't "look" like 5% BF though)

As to the gains.. here were my weights so far. Note that 142 was my weight a few days before the official start of my "bulk", and 150.2 was as of yesterday. So, it does look like some of that initial weight could have been water since it was a jump of 2.6 lbs..

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4
    143 145.6 146.6 148.2

Nice work, you're looking ripped. If it were me I'd add another month and then review. As another user above mentioned, my weight also shot up a lot and then started slowing considerably. Worst case, having to cut a few hundred calories in a month won't be the end of the world, IMO.
  • cillianirish
    Options
    I started bulking and had a similar experience to yourself. After 8 weeks I had gone up 4kg (8.8lbs) and only 1% BF. I went from 9%-10%. Just keep it up. 2lbs is totally fine to be putting on a week :)
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Normal. I've done 2 bulks now and gained 5-7 pounds during the first few weeks both times. It's just water/glycogen. As has been said, get ready for several weeks of no gains right around the corner.
  • terizius
    Options
    Ok, good to know this isn't unusual. I'll keep going as I have been then. Here's to hoping the gains continue for us all!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think this is why it's hard to do a 'mini' bulk and get any results. If you gain close to 7-10 pounds the first month (for the reasons stated above), that isn't bulking and very little real muscle would be gained. You gotta push through and keep gaining - fat and all.
  • terizius
    Options
    well.. I've got at least another month to go. The body transformation challenge is for 3 months. I will continue to bulk at least through month 2 and then evaluate if I should continue, or if my body fat has reached a level where a cut is in order. After all.. a skinny guy getting fat isn't likely to impress anyone :)